IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Why do you "need" to learn about servers?

For general information, I would recommend learning how to set-up a server using an old pc. Linux servers are easier, primarily because of cost (open-source), but windows servers are considered enterprise level servers.

If you have a windows pc, you can turn it into a Web Server using IIS relatively easy: .

There are different types of servers, knowing what type of server you're trying to set-up or learn helps determine the best path. (There are also WebDAV, FTP, and File Servers just to name a few).

Hope this helps.

I just wanna learn the basic about servers, I think might be a file server

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I would build a home lab and just take a bunch of certifications. It's cheaper than going to a tech school and you can study at your own pace.
What some good sites to find IT consultant jobs? Dice?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Indeed.com is great for IT jobs they have so many especially Computer Tech most in NJ

Yep, Indeed is what i use(d) - it's an aggregate site so you get listings from pretty much all the other sites (Careerbuilder, Monster, Dice, Govt sites, etc.) without having to go to each individual one.

I think indeed got me my last two jobs because it had listings that weren't on Monster/Craigslist - one for a college and one for a public/govt organization. Might not have even found the listings if not for it.

Daps
Help desk consultant
Quoting an earlier post i made:

"Dice.com is a great site for IT jobs. Indeed, monster, and career builder are also good. Just make sure you're using the latest technologies in your resume. They use bots to determine 'viable' candidates or non-IT HR persons. So buzzwords and links to a portfolios of work experience is also a hand up in the game!

Good luck!"

Also for IT Jobs - there is a shortage pretty much nationwide. Find some area you're interested in and get your knowledge up. If it's helpdesk, learn Windows (all os platforms), Mac, Linux, and mobile. Don't be afraid to use recruiters and perform contract work. Recruiters/Staffing Firms are very good if you are an entry-level/intermediate level IT professional. An example is TekSystems: http://www.teksystems.com. I personally am not in the market, but I get job offers from PA, NJ, CA, NY, TX every week and my resume is at least 3 years old. Once you have 3-5 years as an IT professional in this market you will not have to apply for a job, only determine a company, culture, opportunity($,growth, p.d.) that fits your needs.

krexzen

All Star
Daps

"Dice.com is a great site for IT jobs. Indeed, monster, and career builder are also good. Just make sure you're using the latest technologies in your resume. They use bots to determine 'viable' candidates or non-IT HR persons. So buzzwords and links to a portfolios of work experience is also a hand up in the game!

Good luck!"

Also for IT Jobs - there is a shortage pretty much nationwide. Find some area you're interested in and get your knowledge up. If it's helpdesk, learn Windows (all os platforms), Mac, Linux, and mobile. Don't be afraid to use recruiters and perform contract work. Recruiters/Staffing Firms are very good if you are an entry-level/intermediate level IT professional. An example is TekSystems: http://www.teksystems.com. I personally am not in the market, but I get job offers from PA, NJ, CA, NY, TX every week and my resume is at least 3 years old. Once you have 3-5 years as an IT professional in this market you will not have to apply for a job, only determine a company, culture, opportunity($,growth, p.d.) that fits your needs.

You ain't lying. Once you get in then it's :ohlawd:, but getting into that specific area can be a pain in the ass :smh:.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What some good sites to find IT consultant jobs? Dice?

I've never had any luck finding decent jobs on Dice. In the past it's been careerbuilder or Indeed.com where I've gotten the most leads. But these days I go straight to the company's website and apply there. Every consulting job I've ever found has been through networking with people I already knew in the IT field.

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
My brother is taking a one month vaca (he's a marine) and he does IT

I'm about to leech this nikka for knowledge:bryan:

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
What does IT stand for, I know certs mans certificates. Any engineers in the coli, and if so whats the best route for me to get set up as a biomedical engineer, Im a freshman in college

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Good luck!"

I applied for a helpdesk position and they been calling, but im hesitant cause i cant find any reviews on them or anything

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs, I finally finished redesigning my site. I'm about to focus a lot of attention on Entity Framework/ ORM frameworks, SQL, LINQ, LINQ to entities an etc. in the upcoming days...

algorithmsforcoupes.com
:ehh: nice site breh, did you use something like notepad++ or a CMS program like Drupal?

Tried playing around with Drupal last week and that shyt is so frustrating how the simplest tasks can be a struggle :camby:

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
Breh, there are a lot of good books on SQL out there...

Two I have in my collection include...
Learning SQL, 2nd Edition
SQL Practical Guide For Developers

The book Head First SQL is cool too...some people like their books, some people hate their books...it depends on how you learn.

Take a look at these links which may be helpful...
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/databases/sql-for-beginners/
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/sql-for-beginners-part-2/
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/databases/sql-for-beginners-part-3-database-relationships/

Most importantly, just look through as many books as you can or online tutorials until you find the one that teaches at the pace you learn at. Go download MySQL or SQL Server Express and get to work....
Pls ignore preious