IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
You must have alot of experience

None. I know how to install/uninstall software, diagnose/troubleshoot, use google, and install HDD, disk drives, video cards/sound cards/RAM.

As well as your normal "show someone how to use..." (teaching) stuff. Just been fukkin around with computers since 99, when i was 13.

Just trying to break into retail mgmt for leadership exp/backup career. im going to be an accountant. PC/Mac shyt is play hobby for me.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
None. I know how to install/uninstall software, diagnose/troubleshoot, use google, and install HDD, disk drives, video cards/sound cards/RAM.

As well as your normal "show someone how to use..." (teaching) stuff. Just been fukkin around with computers since 99, when i was 13.

Just trying to break into retail mgmt for leadership exp/backup career. im going to be an accountant. PC/Mac shyt is play hobby for me.

:whoo: I know how to do that too, might be applying for geeksquad then

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I got a dumb computer question that isnt worth a thread so I figured I'd post it here :patrice:

any help would be much appreciated...

I'm having a problem with java on a couple sites. I have a HP laptop that I got last year with Windows 8....

I've downloaded the latest version of Java, and it works 95% of the time, but on a few sites I get messages like
To sign in to PowerTeacher, you must use a browser that supports and has JavaScript enabled.

I also was trying to register for grad school classes and it wouldn't run the registration page due to the same issue.

I've tried the same sites through IE, Chrome, and Opera...same problem. I then tried booting up my old ass bullshyt laptop with vista (which i didn't even think would boot up and hasn't been updated in years), and the same sites worked fine :dahell:

Now, it used to work fine so...

I tried un-installing, and re-installing chrome and opera...nada

I tried going back a month to a restore point...nada

any thoughts?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I got a dumb computer question that isnt worth a thread so I figured I'd post it here :patrice:

any help would be much appreciated...

I'm having a problem with java on a couple sites. I have a HP laptop that I got last year with Windows 8....

I've downloaded the latest version of Java, and it works 95% of the time, but on a few sites I get messages like

I also was trying to register for grad school classes and it wouldn't run the registration page due to the same issue.

I've tried the same sites through IE, Chrome, and Opera...same problem. I then tried booting up my old ass bullshyt laptop with vista (which i didn't even think would boot up and hasn't been updated in years), and the same sites worked fine :dahell:

Now, it used to work fine so...

I tried un-installing, and re-installing chrome and opera...nada

I tried going back a month to a restore point...nada

any thoughts?

Java and JavaScript are two different things breh. It sounds like you have scripts enabled for the browsers on your old computer by not the new one. Here is a link with a quick step-by-step rundown on how to enable scripts (JavaScripts) for the browsers on your new computer...

http://www.enable-javascript.com/

Let me know if this helps any...

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Java and JavaScript are two different things breh. It sounds like you have scripts enabled for the browsers on your old computer by not the new one. Here is a link with a quick step-by-step rundown on how to enable scripts (JavaScripts) for the browsers on your new computer...

http://www.enable-javascript.com/

Let me know if this helps any...
thanks man, but nah. I went through the directions and Javascript was enabled already. No luck.

I appreciate the help though.

:myman:

Daps
:whoo: I know how to do that too, might be applying for geeksquad then
Why do you "need" to learn about servers?

For general information, I would recommend learning how to set-up a server using an old pc. Linux servers are easier, primarily because of cost (open-source), but windows servers are considered enterprise level servers.

If you have a windows pc, you can turn it into a Web Server using IIS relatively easy: .

There are different types of servers, knowing what type of server you're trying to set-up or learn helps determine the best path. (There are also WebDAV, FTP, and File Servers just to name a few).

Hope this helps.

Daps
For the less experienced brehs such as myself... I got put on to dice.com the other day, nice place to start that entry level job search
Dice.com is a great site for IT jobs. Indeed, monster, and career builder are also good. Just make sure you're using the latest technologies in your resume. They use bots to determine 'viable' candidates or non-IT HR persons. So buzzwords and links to a portfolios of work experience is also a hand up in the game!

Good luck!

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Dice.com is a great site for IT jobs. Indeed, monster, and career builder are also good. Just make sure you're using the latest technologies in your resume. They use bots to determine 'viable' candidates or non-IT HR persons. So buzzwords and links to a portfolios of work experience is also a hand up in the game!

Good luck!

Indeed.com is great for IT jobs they have so many especially Computer Tech most in NJ