IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Cyber security is getting lots of hype but it's no better than any other IT skill set. About the only good thing is if you get in before the hype dies down you'll get lots of money thrown at you. That's why I switch jobs so often because companies always think the grass is greener and will hire new blood before promoting internally.
I just got an email about a network admin job in kuwait. they want to talk to me on teusday for an interview.. according to you I should jump all over this right?

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Man im trying to break into the industry, looking for my first entry level but of course everyone wants experience.

Should i just go somewhere like geek squad just to have it on my resume?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got an email about a network admin job in kuwait. they want to talk to me on teusday for an interview.. according to you I should jump all over this right?

It depends on the company and what type of technology you'll be working on. I

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man im trying to break into the industry, looking for my first entry level but of course everyone wants experience.

Should i just go somewhere like geek squad just to have it on my resume?

I would build a home lab and just take a bunch of certifications. It's cheaper than going to a tech school and you can study at your own pace.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But what about finding an entry level gig?

You can try temp agencies or networking with other IT professionals in your area. When I started out 7 years ago I literally applied for hundreds of jobs. The more places you apply the better your chances of someone giving you a shot.

And if you shine at interviews you can easily beat out more experienced IT people. Especially since many IT people are socially awkward. I've seen nerdy white dudes crash and burn during interviews that knew their shyt but froze up when talking to a female interviewer. Just remember at the end of the day most companies will hire someone they like over someone with tons of qualifications.

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
You can try temp agencies or networking with other IT professionals in your area. When I started out 7 years ago I literally applied for hundreds of jobs. The more places you apply the better your chances of someone giving you a shot.

And if you shine at interviews you can easily beat out more experienced IT people. Especially since many IT people are socially awkward. I've seen nerdy white dudes crash and burn during interviews that knew their shyt but froze up when talking to a female interviewer. Just remember at the end of the day most companies will hire someone they like over someone with tons of qualifications.
My philosophy on interviews is that "if I'm here, you believe I'm qualified, now I just have to prove you can live with me"

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
IT brehs, I have a few pretty good ideas for phone apps.... I dont know much about programming or coding, is this something I can learn to do myself? Or should I go else where and have someone else do it? If so where do I go to get it done?

If I do it myself (which I prefer), are there any good books for beginners y'all can recommend?

Thanks, reps for brehs with suggestions :myman: