IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
i wanna learn SQL

do you know any helpful books :ohhh:

Breh, there are a lot of good books on SQL out there...

Two I have in my collection include...
Learning SQL, 2nd Edition
SQL Practical Guide For Developers

The book Head First SQL is cool too...some people like their books, some people hate their books...it depends on how you learn.

Take a look at these links which may be helpful...
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/databases/sql-for-beginners/
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/sql-for-beginners-part-2/
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/databases/sql-for-beginners-part-3-database-relationships/

Most importantly, just look through as many books as you can or online tutorials until you find the one that teaches at the pace you learn at. Go download MySQL or SQL Server Express and get to work....

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
I'm trying to get this job with IBM. I got an interview next week. I'm going to post a general description of the job. If anyone can give me any knowledge of questions I should ask I'll be much obliged.

This role is an individual contributor responsible for on-site installation, maintenance and repair of IBM and multi-vendor systems and components, including hardware, networking products, software and operating systems. They are the primary technical interface to clients for the coordination of hardware and/or software support and delivery of operational services as required by the client. They advise clients of preventive maintenance, configuration, operation and environmental factors which may impact product performance or impair client's IT operation. They may also perform services activities such as systems assurance, installation planning, account management, systems-level problem determination, discontinuance and relocation of IBM and non-IBM systems and products. They are accountable to ensure a high level of client satisfaction with service delivery, technical support and operational services for the client account(s). When critical situations occur, they are the IBM technical interface to clients and manage the situation until the problem is fixed. They have a thorough understanding of, and are able to articulate, IBM''s technical support strategy. They are responsible for the technical value relationship to protect revenue base and identify new services opportunities.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm trying to get this job with IBM. I got an interview next week. I'm going to post a general description of the job. If anyone can give me any knowledge of questions I should ask I'll be much obliged.

This role is an individual contributor responsible for on-site installation, maintenance and repair of IBM and multi-vendor systems and components, including hardware, networking products, software and operating systems. They are the primary technical interface to clients for the coordination of hardware and/or software support and delivery of operational services as required by the client. They advise clients of preventive maintenance, configuration, operation and environmental factors which may impact product performance or impair client's IT operation. They may also perform services activities such as systems assurance, installation planning, account management, systems-level problem determination, discontinuance and relocation of IBM and non-IBM systems and products. They are accountable to ensure a high level of client satisfaction with service delivery, technical support and operational services for the client account(s). When critical situations occur, they are the IBM technical interface to clients and manage the situation until the problem is fixed. They have a thorough understanding of, and are able to articulate, IBM''s technical support strategy. They are responsible for the technical value relationship to protect revenue base and identify new services opportunities.

I would check sites like glassdoor.com or indeed.com for tips on the position and interview questions. I've turned down some really shytty jobs after learning how badly they treated previous employees.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I would definitely stay far away from IT security. Why specialize in something knowing you'll eventually get hacked.
Why is that? I was looking to use my cyber security degree to get into digital forensics/cyber crime

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Terrifying new malware uses sound to spread, doesn’t need networks

Computer scientists have developed an audio malware prototype that’s capable of establishing communication between devices that do not have an active network connection, Ars Technica reports. Instead, the lab-created malware uses the built-in microphones and speakers to send out a high-frequency signal from an infected computer to a different source. While it has limited use and can only send 20 bits of data per second to up to 65 feet the audio malware concept can still be used to send out significant data, including user and passwords for certain systems. Additionally, the distance can be increased by adding more attacker-controlled devices to repeat the audio signal.

The research, published in the Journal of Communications, proves that computers that aren’t connected to a network and should theoretically be protected by an “air-gap” between them and the outside world aren’t necessarily safe, as hackers or governments could use such advanced tech to snoop on highly guarded secrets and even initiate certain actions on those air-gapped PCs.

A recent badBIOS malware discovery led one researcher to conclude that such malware that’s capable of travelling between two unconnected computers may already exist. Dragos Ruiu observed the phenomenon in his labs and studied it for three years, concluding that the unknown malware he spotted can spread through USB sticks and attack the target at a BIOS level. Furthermore, the malware could travel between computers by using only airwaves when a different connection isn’t available.

However, the new audio malware research submitted by the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics is independent of Ruiu’s discoveries.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yo @Data-Hawk

what are your thoughts on developing a generic repository/UOW with entity framework? To me that seem like overkill, considering...

1. DbSet already acts as a repository around your data access layer
2. DbContext is a UOW

any other programming brehs, what do y'all think?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why is that? I was looking to use my cyber security degree to get into digital forensics/cyber crime

Because most companies could care less about cyber security. They just want someone to blame or to clean up the mess when they get hacked. The cost of securing most networks is so high it's just not cost effective to do so.

You'll constantly be at odds with damn near everyone else in the company because nobody wants to follow proper security controls. They'll spend more time trying to constantly get around your security safeguards thus creating more work for you. All these clowns care about is whether their shytty App works. The minute it doesn't work it's always the IPS or Firewall's fault.

If you want to get into Digital Forenics I suggest you check into the laws of your state first. Some states require an private investigators license to perform computer forensic work in a court of law.

Rayzah

Daps
Because most companies could care less about cyber security. They just want someone to blame or to clean up the mess when they get hacked. The cost of securing most networks is so high it's just not cost effective to do so.

You'll constantly be at odds with damn near everyone else in the company because nobody wants to follow proper security controls. They'll spend more time trying to constantly get around your security safeguards thus creating more work for you. All these clowns care about is whether their shytty App works. The minute it doesn't work it's always the IPS or Firewall's fault.

If you want to get into Digital Forenics I suggest you check into the laws of your state first. Some states require an private investigators license to perform computer forensic work in a court of law.
Damn, that does sound wack, I thought I had my plan, I was also thinking about pen testing or intel. What do you do?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, that does sound wack, I thought I had my plan, I was also thinking about pen testing or intel. What do you do?

I currently work as a Security Analyst but definitely won't be doing this shyt long term. I usually switch IT jobs every 3 or 4 years so I've worked in tons of different areas.

The majority of pen testing jobs that pay big money are probably in the Federal sector. But the workload is fukking insane and that's why I left for the private sector. If I had to do it all over again I would've stuck with Networking. If you design a pretty good network it won't require much maintenance. And the best part is nobody can tell you shyt because most people don't know shyt about networking. But it has it's drawbacks because most companies are dumping Telephony on their Networking Departments.

Rayzah

Daps
I currently work as a Security Analyst but definitely won't be doing this shyt long term. I usually switch IT jobs every 3 or 4 years so I've worked in tons of different areas.

The majority of pen testing jobs that pay big money are probably in the Federal sector. But the workload is fukking insane and that's why I left for the private sector. If I had to do it all over again I would've stuck with Networking. If you design a pretty good network it won't require much maintenance. And the best part is nobody can tell you shyt because most people don't know shyt about networking. But it has it's drawbacks because most companies are dumping Telephony on their Networking Departments.
:patrice:Damn, ive been working on this cyber security degree for the last 2 1/2 years, and now you are saying its more headache than its worth?:beli: I tried studying for my CCNA and net + a few times and to me the material is just so boring and dry, and I always thought it would suck working as an network admin and being restricted to using old outdated equipment to do my job or trying to maintain an old :flabbynsick: network. I have worked on more than a few federal contracts and they almost always have old ass computers running XP. At this point I am looking for something I can focus on that will get me out of tier 2 support and will not require me to deal with supporting people directly.

Rayzah

Daps
What I really want to do is get one of those overseas jobs that pays tax free, or just a job that requires a lot of travel, does anyone know where I should look for something like that?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Shyt sucks breh. :sadcam:

We're all VOIP where I work, so pretty much we have to deal with all phone issues. All of our switches are PoE so the system isn't bad, but it's definitely extra work dealing with people's phone issues in addition to everything else. Plus trying to troubleshoot certain phone issues (like intermittent static) is a pain in the ass.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:Damn, ive been working on this cyber security degree for the last 2 1/2 years, and now you are saying its more headache than its worth?:beli: I tried studying for my CCNA and net + a few times and to me the material is just so boring and dry, and I always thought it would suck working as an network admin and being restricted to using old outdated equipment to do my job or trying to maintain an old :flabbynsick: network. I have worked on more than a few federal contracts and they almost always have old ass computers running XP. At this point I am looking for something I can focus on that will get me out of tier 2 support and will not require me to deal with supporting people directly.

Cyber security is getting lots of hype but it's no better than any other IT skill set. About the only good thing is if you get in before the hype dies down you'll get lots of money thrown at you. That's why I switch jobs so often because companies always think the grass is greener and will hire new blood before promoting internally.