IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
pick up some books or check out websites on networking and system management (techexams.net is a really good site) to figure out what sparks your interest more and explore the system and networking side while you're working there. just start talking to the upper rank guys about the infrastructure and how everything works together and it'll come to you.

this is something you'll figure out the more you work. i remember wanting to work on the networking side of IT when i started but i've been working with servers a lot recently and am starting to really enjoy it more now. you're still fresh out of high school so being lost is alright. just make sure you're always learning, developing your skills and giving it your best effort and you'll be the best man you can be.
thanks for the reply i did originally think of going the network or security route but right now im unsure i guess i will wait and see when i actually start working

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thanks for the reply i did originally think of going the network or security route but right now im unsure i guess i will wait and see when i actually start working

I would definitely stay far away from IT security. Why specialize in something knowing you'll eventually get hacked.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would definitely stay far away from IT security. Why specialize in something knowing you'll eventually get hacked.
like i said before i have not decided yet ill have to do more research when i actually start working. I know one guy working in IT sales right now and he seems to be doing well for himself so ill be asking him for advice soon. I have until September next year to make a proper career. My plan is to be working at ibm 8-10 months ish and move on to a better job if i cant then ill just go to university and study business or some shyt

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
:salute:preciate it. What area of networking do you work in?

I manage a small startup's IT department. It's basically the CIO, me and another guy. We do it all. Routers, switches, rolling out PC's, building server infrastructure, VOIP phones.... you name it. A lot of work and long nights but the experience gained is really worth it.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
is the ccna still appealing to employers. I really like the networking side of IT and I figure that would at least get my foot in the door.

Odyssey

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Decided today it's time to change up my career. Going to start really basic and take A+, after that i will take server+ and network+ then mcsa and then mcse. Also enrolling at a local University for a degree in Information Systems.

Doing this so i can fukk more white women than 88M3.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Decided today it's time to change up my career. Going to start really basic and take A+, after that i will take server+ and network+ then mcsa and then mcse. Also enrolling at a local University for a degree in Information Systems.

Doing this so i can fukk more white women than 88M3.

Id skip server+. never really heard of it being that useful.

semtex

:)
Daps
Ya, but every other field requires you to be a programmer and i don't want to sit in a cubicle writing lines of code all day.
:skip: u don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Sit this one out buddy.

Odyssey

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Estrogen fuelled snark doesn't make you look cool, buddy. It makes you sound like a fakkit. Guy.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
is the ccna still appealing to employers. I really like the networking side of IT and I figure that would at least get my foot in the door.
Having a CCNA is a great conversation starter when you're looking to get into a company, but once you sit down for that interview you better have some on job experience to back it up. If you have experience/understanding along with the cert, then you can easily navigate from company to company. If they see you have a CCNA and no experience, they'll want to know what motivated you to get it. Was it a job requirement or something you really spent your time trying to earn.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Having a CCNA is a great conversation starter when you're looking to get into a company, but once you sit down for that interview you better have some on job experience to back it up. If you have experience/understanding along with the cert, then you can easily navigate from company to company. If they see you have a CCNA and no experience, they'll want to know what motivated you to get it. Was it a job requirement or something you really spent your time trying to earn.

for it's been something I've been trying to study for the past 6 months now. I'm a full time student and worker so I try to absorb as much as I can with the little time I do have. It does help that 2 of my classes essentially focus on routing and switching so what i dont pick up in personal study I can always gain a better understanding in the classroom. My main fear is interviewing. When that times comes I want have in depth understanding. At least well enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about. A classmate of mine once said, it isn't who you know, it's who you can bullshyt.