IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Yo, what's with the hate towards IT on the Coli??? All I see is "Blah, blah, blah, Coli IT cert millionaires...'. Do they realize without IT they'd be fukked?

The salaries....Plus we don't need as much "Offical" schooling as the rest......But just like everybody else we have to start at the bottom and work our way up...

Spin

All Star
Daps
learn python esp if you would like to get in security, ruby on rails is good as well for web development

How does an entry level position usually work with python/ruby? Do they generally want to see you have created a program or contributed to one on github, etc? I have read they don't expect you to know everything, but enough that you can learn while on the job and not be totally useless. Thanks

Last edited:

raul04

More money more p*ssy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Austin
The salaries....Plus we don't need as much "Offical" schooling as the rest......But just like everybody else we have to start at the bottom and work our way up...
I actually started out studying/wanting to be an electrical engineer but I ended up doing IT work..the salary's in the late 90s prompted me to unfortunately drop schooling but I don't have any regrets now. I love what I do. I don't remember having to take any "Official" classes for what I do I just was lucky I had some great mentors.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Yo, what's with the hate towards IT on the Coli??? All I see is "Blah, blah, blah, Coli IT cert millionaires...'. Do they realize without IT they'd be fukked?

Because 70 % of IT is composed of people who really are not that smart...they just know how to use google...

Because 50% of IT is composed of people who never touched a girl until they accidentally rubbed up against susan's breast while attaching a external hard drive to her mac book pro...

Because 45% of IT is composed of people who grossly overstate how much money they make...I am a manager and I had a guy in my group throughout how much money he makes...like i don't see it when i have to do his review and figure up what his raise should be :heh::heh:

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Think by January's I'll be certified network plus security plus and A plus.

After that? Then what?....

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
DBA, its like a feedback loop, all of those jobs want prior DBA experience.

Think about it, when hiring a DBA, you want someone above all with experience, because they're entrusting you with the integrity and security of their data. Most companies would go out of business or lose a lot of money if they were to ever lose or not be able to access their data for an extended period of time. That's why they want someone who has been there and done it before.

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It depends on what you want to do really... you looking at network engineering, security, server, virutalization, cloud,.... i can go on and on
I was thinking network or security. Cloud sounds good though. Any advice on the first two though?

Solano707

The Coli's dirty Afro-Mexicano
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California (Live in GA)
I was thinking network or security. Cloud sounds good though. Any advice on the first two though?
So for networks, you gotta looking to specifcally, such as WAN security, firewalls (and the different types), authentication types and the such...

For cloud, are you talking about WAN communication regarding cloud, database in storage and in motion? I can't tell you, but you have to get a feel of what you want to do. Go to www.tomsitpro.com (i go there all the time). For a cert that you would buy resume gold is the CISSP (certified information systems security professional).

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Because 70 % of IT is composed of people who really are not that smart...they just know how to use google...

Because 50% of IT is composed of people who never touched a girl until they accidentally rubbed up against susan's breast while attaching a external hard drive to her mac book pro...

Because 45% of IT is composed of people who grossly overstate how much money they make...I am a manager and I had a guy in my group throughout how much money he makes...like i don't see it when i have to do his review and figure up what his raise should be :heh::heh:

I don't where the hell you get these ridiculous numbers from, but you sound like you don't know anything about IT technicians. Posters like you should be banned from this thread..

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just passed the 70-646 PRO: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator. Officially MCSA 2008 certified now :obama:. On to the next one starting Monday, taking the upgrading to 2012 next to earn that MCSA 2012. Exchange 2012 after that

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Just passed the 70-646 PRO: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator. Officially MCSA 2008 certified now :obama:. On to the next one starting Monday, taking the upgrading to 2012 next to earn that MCSA 2012. Exchange 2012 after that

congrats and nice work my dude. get that money :salute: