IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Thats the plan. Been working helpdesk since 2010, trying to relocate to a bigger city and higher role within next 12 months

Yeah you gotta get out of that helpdesk now, it's been almost 4 years. Getting good at working at a service desk isn't going to get you anywhere but where you are now. Sharpen up your skillset and move on. Are you looking to move into a windows sysadmin role or more on the networking side of the house?

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah you gotta get out of that helpdesk now, it's been almost 4 years. Getting good at working at a service desk isn't going to get you anywhere but where you are now. Sharpen up your skillset and move on. Are you looking to move into a windows sysadmin role or more on the networking side of the house?
I agree, its just difficult to pave that route without the actual experience (system admin at my job doesnt believe in delegating responsibilities). I'd like to work in the windows admin sector, I dont trust cisco in the long run as networking is evolving to software based.

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm looking to start college in January. I know I'll have to start with the help desk and I'm willing to grind to hit that coveted 6 figures. I need help picking a focus area. I was interested in being an architect or civil engineer but changed my mind because I feel like IT isn't going anywhere and I have twins coming. Anyway, I would like to incorporate business, IT, and my creative side into my career.
Which one of these associates degree programs would be ideal for me to start with?

http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/en/CSIS/CIT.aspx

Any help would be appreciated bruhs

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm looking to start college in January. I know I'll have to start with the help desk and I'm willing to grind to hit that coveted 6 figures. I need help picking a focus area. I was interested in being an architect or civil engineer but changed my mind because I feel like IT isn't going anywhere and I have twins coming. Anyway, I would like to incorporate business, IT, and my creative side into my career.
Which one of these associates degree programs would be ideal for me to start with?

http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/en/CSIS/CIT.aspx

Any help would be appreciated bruhs
software engineering ties in those :youngsabo:

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I agree, its just difficult to pave that route without the actual experience (system admin at my job doesnt believe in delegating responsibilities).

Yeah breh, you're gonna have to put in the work outside of job hours. I remember days when I would work 10 hours then go read/lab another 4 hours. If you know your stuff, someone will eventually give you a shot. Good luck

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah breh, you're gonna have to put in the work outside of job hours. I remember days when I would work 10 hours then go read/lab another 4 hours. If you know your stuff, someone will eventually give you a shot. Good luck
:salute:preciate it. What area of networking do you work in?

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
software engineering ties in those :youngsabo:

I don't know if that's what I'm looking for. That may be a bit TOO technical for my liking. I'll check that out or the information systems track. Preciate it :obama:

Anyone else have any advice?

semtex

Daps
I don't know if that's what I'm looking for. That may be a bit TOO technical for my liking. I'll check that out or the information systems track. Preciate it :obama:

Anyone else have any advice?
Don't be scared off by "engineering"

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't be scared off by "engineering"
Yeah, the word engineering shook me a little. I'll take a look at it. I'm a math wiz and have a creative mind. I got twins on the way so it might be the kind of challenge and money I need for the long run. :salute:

Last edited:

semtex

Daps
Yeah, the word engineering shook me a little. I'll take a look at it. I'm a math wiz and have a creative mind. I got twins on the way so it might be the kind of challenge and money I need for the long run. :salute:
i'm stepping my UML game up so I can try and get a position as a software architect. People think diagramming is more light-hearted/easy than coding :whoa: nah.

http://www.indeed.com/salary/Software-Architect.html

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So i just graduated from highschool this july over here in europe and im going to be offered a technical support role at ibmhopefully i start in January. Im a little lost on which route to choose in IT when i leave ibm after hopefully 10 months or so any advice?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Guide to a $150,000 + programming career...

1. Pick a language, Java or C#.
2. Get familiar, learn the stack of that language. KNOW the stack of that language. KNOW how each technology complement each other. Be ready to adapt because these technologies can change OFTEN. Build projects that uses each technology of a stack.

Every language has a stack of technologies used to build applications. Stacks consist of a database backend (usually SQL), the business tier (usually written in Java or C#), and the UI (usually the web application or desktop gui).

C# .NET stack
C#
ASP.NET MVC (web applications) or a XAML-based MVVM systems (WPF for desktop applications)
HTML5, JavaScript, CSS (knowledge of these technologies for someone using ASP.NET MVC)
(ORM technologies) Entity Framework or NHibernate (or similar)
SQL and LINQ

Java stack
Java
Java EE web frameworks (such as Spring MVC framework which is most popular) for web applications
HTML5, JavaScript, CSS (knowledge of these technologies for someone using Java EE)
(ORM technologies) JPA/Hibernate/JDBC (or similar)
SQL

Also, keep in mind that sole desktop apps are becoming a thing of the past with web apps now running the show so I wouldn't really focus my time with learning desktop technologies.

Last edited:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
So i just graduated from highschool this july over here in europe and im going to be offered a technical support role at ibmhopefully i start in January. Im a little lost on which route to choose in IT when i leave ibm after hopefully 10 months or so any advice?

pick up some books or check out websites on networking and system management (techexams.net is a really good site) to figure out what sparks your interest more and explore the system and networking side while you're working there. just start talking to the upper rank guys about the infrastructure and how everything works together and it'll come to you.

this is something you'll figure out the more you work. i remember wanting to work on the networking side of IT when i started but i've been working with servers a lot recently and am starting to really enjoy it more now. you're still fresh out of high school so being lost is alright. just make sure you're always learning, developing your skills and giving it your best effort and you'll be the best man you can be.