IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Im thinking about getting my AA in IT brehs. Would it be worth it? I would do help desk or some kind of desktop support part time to build the resume. I would double major in network admin (basically a CCNA prep course) and DBA. Waste of time/$$$? It's only $1100/semester. I need a little structure to get started.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
this new web application I'm building :banderas: guaranteed I'ma have a $1 million before I'm 30

Cool. Just bookmarked your site at work( will check later ). Currently working on a minecraft clone( just finished up terrain generation and block adding/replacing ). Hopefully i can add a character model and some new textures within 3 weeks. if so i'll shoot you a PM if you dont mind testing it.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Im thinking about getting my AA in IT brehs. Would it be worth it? I would do help desk or some kind of desktop support part time to build the resume. I would double major in network admin (basically a CCNA prep course) and DBA. Waste of time/$$$? It's only $1100/semester. I need a little structure to get started.

I'd say it's worth it if you have the time, especially if you don't already have a degree.

A lot of IT support jobs want people to have some sort of higher education. Last two jobs I had, you had to have an associates degree to get an interview. Plus, a lot of people that teach IT at Community Colleges actually work in IT and teach on the side, or either used to work in IT and still know people in the industry. So it'd be a good way to network - you impress your prof enough and he/she might put in a good word for you with their company.

I took a CCNA class not to long ago and the teacher was actually the network guy for a local school district.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Networking and Database Administration are 2 separate fields in IT.
Make up your mind.

Networking goes in hand with programming more than DB's

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Networking and Database Administration are 2 separate fields in IT.
Make up your mind.

Networking goes in hand with programming more than DB's
From what I've been reading it's better to start with system/network admin as nobody hires DBAs with no experience. Plus some system/network admins wind up doing shyt with SQL. So I'm going that route.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
From what I've been reading it's better to start with system/network admin as nobody hires DBAs with no experience. Plus some system/network admins wind up doing shyt with SQL. So I'm going that route.

Nobody hires anybody without experience for damn near anything. Getting into system or network admin gigs is no easy task either.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
True but I don't see how getting network experience can translate into DBA skills unless you are willing to play with Database on the side when you get a job

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Nobody hires anybody without experience for damn near anything. Getting into system or network admin gigs is no easy task either.
If you are willing to make next to nothing...someone will always hire you.
But make sure you quit once you get the experience.....that's what I did to my first employer :manny:

Last edited:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Looking at job listings I see way more network/system admin jobs that are more vague with the experience they want, or will take a few years of help desk, some specific tasks and some certs. DBA, its like a feedback loop, all of those jobs want prior DBA experience. Kind of makes sense

No Sleep

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Souf Caro
Brehs, I know i should look back and find it, but whats the best way to get A+ cert? Is it a way to take the test without paying to take this class?

Spin

All Star
Daps
What's your guys opinion on learning coding languages like Ruby or Python? Do you see the career prospects good/bad vs going the cert route mostly mentioned in here? If there is another thread for coding let me know. I'm still a newbie to all this. Help me tech gurus :blessed: