IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
whats next java ?

yep i'm writing the base application in Java. One thing I'm really trying to figure out right now is should I just start from the basics and build from the ground up teaching shyt like what variables are, or should I continue just moving around from abstract concept to abstract concept...

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Took my VCAP exam this morning and I know I failed it....gotta wait until they mail me the results to be sure but I'm sure I fukked it up. :snoop:

I knew most the shyt but the labs just took to long I did 16/26 of the labs in 3.5 hours. A coworker of mine who is smart as fukk and knows his shyt finished only 20 of them. I don't see how its possible to finish this shyt in time....

$400 wasted....I could have blown that at a strip club or something

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Brehs, can anyone show me a site that has source to make a 3 rowed drop down menu with CSS?

I have a list of 12 and instread of having all 12 horizontally, I want 4X3 and than be able to hover over the links with sub menus

Might not be exactly what you need, but you should be able to find something there and alter it to your purposes

http://cssmenumaker.com/css-drop-down-menu

raul04

More money more p*ssy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Austin
Anyone ever mess with brainbench? They have some exams on that site for just about any IT stuff. I don't know if they carry any weight from an HR point of view. If this was already asked please disregard.
http://www.brainbench.com/

raul04

More money more p*ssy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Austin
oh and i'm looking at finally getting RHEL certified been working on that OS for years just never got around to taking the exam. Anyone on here done that exam?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Took my VCAP exam this morning and I know I failed it....gotta wait until they mail me the results to be sure but I'm sure I fukked it up. :snoop:

I knew most the shyt but the labs just took to long I did 16/26 of the labs in 3.5 hours. A coworker of mine who is smart as fukk and knows his shyt finished only 20 of them. I don't see how its possible to finish this shyt in time....

$400 wasted....I could have blown that at a strip club or something

Nah, breh, the experience you gained is invaluable. Just save up another $400 (I know, easy to say, harder to do) and take it again...the next time you will be more wiser...

tumblr_mv2hxvfPyz1r2fu35o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mu3b3caGVr1r2fu35o1_500.jpg

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
haven't been studying for my ccna as much as i would like to because of work. i really wanted to knock my ccna out a couple of months ago, but i'm not that mad since the company had me working with servers and building/managing terminal servers right now. i've been thinking of just going for my microsoft certs but i invested a lot of time on my ccna and feel like i should finish what i started. i still remember sitting in my room and struggling to build my first network like it was yesterday :wow:

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
haven't been studying for my ccna as much as i would like to because of work. i really wanted to knock my ccna out a couple of months ago, but i'm not that mad since the company had me working with servers and building/managing terminal servers right now. i've been thinking of just going for my microsoft certs but i invested a lot of time on my ccna and feel like i should finish what i started. i still remember sitting in my room and struggling to build my first network like it was yesterday :wow:
I just graduated and saving up to take my CCNA exam. All I done so far has been on Packet Tracer, how long did it take you to reach your current level? How easy is it to get a job if you got a degree and CCNA certs?

Beegio

You ni66as don't exist we eat filet mignon
Daps
got the site up brehs, and with a couple of posts. I had to work this morning messing around with the css, html, and php code to get it to look and function the way I wanted. I still gotta add some more stuff to it though (social media features, ect.). So far I think it has a dope look to it (minimalist magazine look) with good content :manny:

That's dope bruh. Imma link to your shyt when I get my site up and running. I got my hosting, domain, and just installed my theme. I still have so much to do with designing, SEO, and content before I unveil it, but I'm going to build with you when I get my site up to par. Minimal coding knowledge and first website build is a MUTHAfukkA :sadcam:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I just graduated and saving up to take my CCNA exam. All I done so far has been on Packet Tracer, how long did it take you to reach your current level? How easy is it to get a job if you got a degree and CCNA certs?

i don't know the answer to that to be honest. it all depends on your experience and personality in the interview. having 0 years of experience but having a ccna is kind of counter intuitive since no one will hire someone with that background. what did you major in?

it took me about 5 months of off and on studying to feel comfortable building a small home network. i haven't done any actual networking for a company yet. the most work i've done was cabling into a patch panel and connecting wires to switch boxes for the company i'm at right now.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Finally got my first check from my new gig breh. $9600/mo after taxes :whew:

and I'm saving $6600/mo :ohlawd:

fukk Uncle Sam though, nikka raping my damn pockets :pacspit:

To all the cats trying to get in the game, stay focused and have a plan. It took me about 9 years to hit 200k, and that's with about 3-4 years of bullshytting in between. Stay on your grind and be determined and y'all should be able to hit 300k by the time you 10 years deep :blessed:

A degree, a CCNA, and 0 experience won't get you a job doing CCNA level work. Those networking eqipment make up the backbone of a network and most companies aren't going to give someone with 0 experience rights to that equipment. The best route is to try to get a level 1 help desk job, learn as much as you can about networking, and start building relationships with the network admins/support people there to try to ultimately become a member of that team. Pursue your CCNA because you'll learn a lot about TCP/IP, but that cert by itself doesn't mean shyt without the relevant experience to back it up.