IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@ahomeplateslugger @bdizzle i'm working part time setting up computers as part of a network. It's a simple job but that'll give me some sort of experience. Between I studied Computer Systems & Networks.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@ahomeplateslugger @bdizzle i'm working part time setting up computers as part of a network. It's a simple job but that'll give me some sort of experience. Between I studied Computer Systems & Networks.

When you say setting up computers, what specifically do you mean? Are you creating VLANs, assigning interfaces, configuring trunking, etc. Or are you just plugging ethernet cables into the NIC of a PC and keeping it moving?

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This thread excites me. Currently getting my BS in CS..and im torn as to whether to try and get a job programming or networking. Currently at a contract job that ends in April :lupe: and im getting a lot of valuable experience from it. Doing help desk type work for a temp project they settin up..got a work phone and our (3 temps) own area and everything:smugdraper:. Makin 14/hr:patrice: but hopefully nowhere but up from here

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Finally got my first check from my new gig breh. $9600/mo after taxes :whew:

and I'm saving $6600/mo :ohlawd:

fukk Uncle Sam though, nikka raping my damn pockets :pacspit:

To all the cats trying to get in the game, stay focused and have a plan. It took me about 9 years to hit 200k, and that's with about 3-4 years of bullshytting in between. Stay on your grind and be determined and y'all should be able to hit 300k by the time you 10 years deep :blessed:

A degree, a CCNA, and 0 experience won't get you a job doing CCNA level work. Those networking eqipment make up the backbone of a network and most companies aren't going to give someone with 0 experience rights to that equipment. The best route is to try to get a level 1 help desk job, learn as much as you can about networking, and start building relationships with the network admins/support people there to try to ultimately become a member of that team. Pursue your CCNA because you'll learn a lot about TCP/IP, but that cert by itself doesn't mean shyt without the relevant experience to back it up.

You're making 9K a month? :salute:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This thread excites me. Currently getting my BS in CS..and im torn as to whether to try and get a job programming or networking. Currently at a contract job that ends in April :lupe: and im getting a lot of valuable experience from it. Doing help desk type work for a temp project they settin up..got a work phone and our (3 temps) own area and everything:smugdraper:. Makin 14/hr:patrice: but hopefully nowhere but up from here

You doing better than I was breh. When I started out, I was barely making $9 an hour....nikkas couldn't tell me shyt though, I was 21 years old feeling like Bill Gates of the hood :blessed:

Regardless of what you do, have a plan and try to execute it to the best of your ability, and you'll be alright breh :salute:

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When you say setting up computers, what specifically do you mean? Are you creating VLANs, assigning interfaces, configuring trunking, etc. Or are you just plugging ethernet cables into the NIC of a PC and keeping it moving?
Closer to the latter to be honest :manny: it's a start. A friend of mine told me the process of setting up vlans and so on is similar to how it's done on Packet Tracer. Would you say that's true? If so I'm on my way to :cook:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Closer to the latter to be honest :manny: it's a start. A friend of mine told me the process of setting up vlans and so on is similar to how it's done on Packet Tracer. Would you say that's true? If so I'm on my way to :cook:

I started from the same place, so that's why I asked. Haven't used packet tracer, so I'm not sure but setting up VLAN's are pretty painless. Pass the CCNA and since you already have a job, start kicking it with the network dudes there. Start bugging them and let them know you want to learn, even tell em you'll suck em off if you have to :mjpls:

They'll give you grunt work to begin with, but if you do a good job, it'll be a pretty easy path to get into the networking space.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
New virus called cryptolocker that people need to be aware of

Supposedly Malwarebytes Pro and Avast catch it... but if you get it, it encrypts as many of your files that it can and requires you to pay $300 to to decrypt it.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up

You swagged out

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Finally got my first check from my new gig breh. $9600/mo after taxes :whew:

and I'm saving $6600/mo :ohlawd:

fukk Uncle Sam though, nikka raping my damn pockets :pacspit:

To all the cats trying to get in the game, stay focused and have a plan. It took me about 9 years to hit 200k, and that's with about 3-4 years of bullshytting in between. Stay on your grind and be determined and y'all should be able to hit 300k by the time you 10 years deep :blessed:

seriously breh im getting aggravated by the amount taxes they take it out of my check.... new money issues i guess :manny:...im prolly going to be like :sadcam: when i start doing my taxes in february...i know im going to owe something esp with certain things that will be paid off within the next 3-4 months...at least i'll get a prorated raise by the end of the year if my manager deliverables are met sufficiently by mid november in time for my first review..creating business IT processes for the programs i manage from scratch is no joke brehs