IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thnx for the reply back...

So i guessin Programmin leans more toward benefiting those with creativity correct?

If its not too much trouble can u give me a basic explanation of the different IT fields(Programmin, Networking, etc.) and how they differ?

Also I get practicing but should I continue to practice with the opensource program i mentioned or will it fck up learning pure java...?

I'll take a look at those books soon... Thanks again

Another piece of advice, while doing your CS degree, actually learn how to program. The "theory" of Computer Science and actually "programming" are two different disciplines.

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
Can anybody familiar with batch files tell me wtf a "output character" is? I can't find an answer for it anywhere.

Sorry for the late reply but output on to a .txt file?

"C:\Mybatch.bat < C:\Output.txt"

the < would be the output character

I could be wrong

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Another piece of advice, while doing your CS degree, actually learn how to program. The "theory" of Computer Science and actually "programming" are two different disciplines.

Yup, I follow alot of famous programmers on twitter and they get asked daily "How can i be as good as you? any advice ""

some of them start to get annoyed because they answer it so much, but its always " Program alot and work hard at it" Sometimes people are looking for some magical shortcut.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Yup, I follow alot of famous programmers on twitter and they get asked daily "How can i be as good as you? any advice ""

some of them start to get annoyed because they answer it so much, but its always " Program alot and work hard at it" Sometimes people are looking for some magical shortcut.
true....People look at the $ figures and think being good at it is just done over night.

I have seen so many people walk out or fired in this company. Someone clearly lied to them about how to perfect your craft.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Trying to get ready for this CCENT exam. :lupe:

I feel like I pretty much got subnetting and the OSI model stuff pretty much down pat, as well as the network protocols. Hard part is memorizing the IOS commands.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
So I'm thinking about starting a blog or a website. My goal is to publish one article or publish one code project daily in one of the following technologies: Java, SQL, .Net technologies, Javascript, PHP, Andriod, or maybe a couple other I know. Topics will range from learning framework libraries, data structures, algorithms, creating three tier applications, database programming, desktop programming, internet networking (TCP/IP), creating small apps, etc. I've come to see that I have a talent of explaining things in a way people can understand :manny:. Right now I'm trying to see if I want to use tumblr or wordpress for my blog :lupe:...don't really have time to build my own website from the ground up with the NBA season here and the PS4 and XBOX One bout to drop...

This actually may be the first article i post...wrote it last night (I need to edit it thought)...

The Java Collections Framework Explained

airjordansspikelee.jpg

The Java Collections Framework is a hierarchy of interfaces and classes that implement common data structures for collecting objects. The ability to learn and implement the data structures within the Java Collections Framework is essential for any developer creating applications using the Java language. In this article, I will describe the data structures and provide you with an explanation for when you should look to implement them into your programs. You will soon notice, the same way objects are structured in reality (a collection of Air Jordans, perhaps?) are the same way they are often structured in programs.

java-collections-framework2.jpg

The Collections Interface

At the top of the Java Collections Framework hierarchy is the Collection interface which include methods for adding and removing elements. Every collection in the Java Collections Framework (except for HashMap and TreeMap) implement this interface, so all of its methods are available to the collection classes.

The List Interface

encyclopedia.jpg

The List interface describes one of the most commonly used collections. In java, a list is a sequential collection that remembers the order of its elements. You may think of a list as a collection of encyclopedia’s on your book shelf. The ArrayList, Stack, and LinkedList classes all implement the List interface. An ArrayList is a class that contains an array, which is expanded as needed as the collection grows. Because of this attribute, the ArrayList can be very inefficient when performing common operations such as adding and removing elements, as elements at larger positions must be moved during these operations. As ArrayList prove to be inefficient for anything other than storing elements, the Java Collections Framework provides the LinkedList class which allows for efficient insertion and removal of elements within a list. A LinkedList is a data structure that is constructed of nodes, which holds the element’s data and a reference to the neighboring node. Because of this attribute, when removing an element from the middle of a list, only the neighboring node references needs to be updated.

linked-list.jpg

You can think of a LinkedList as a group of people holding hands. When a person is removed from the group, the two neighbors of the individual removed join hands. Because everyone is linked to each other, the list only needs to be updated in one place.

Finally, the List interface is implemented by the Stack class. A stack, as with ArrayList and LinkedList, remembers the order of its elements, but unlike ArrayList and LinkedList, you cannot insert elements at every position.

stack1.jpg

A stack models a last-in-first-out (LIFO) data structure where items are inserted and removed at the head (the top) of the structure. You may think of a stack as a plate of pancakes. A new pancake is placed on top of the pile, and a person eats the top pancake on the pile first (unless, of-course you know someone that eats pancakes from the bottom of the pile).

The Queue Interface

The queue interface describes the Queue and PriorietyQueue classes. A queue lets you add items to one end of the queue (the tail) and remove items from another end of the queue (the head). The queue models a first-in-first-out (FIFO) structure.

queue.jpg

You may think of a queue as a group of people standing in line outside of the Apple store during the latest iPhone release. The first person in line, is the first person served. Also, think of a print application, the first person that submits a file to be printed into the print queue, is the first person who’s file will be printed. Next, a priority queue collects elements, each of which is loaded with a priority. The item that is removed first from the priority queue, is the item with the highest priority.

The Set Interface

The Set interface in the Java Collections Framework describes the HashSet and TreeSet classes. A set organizes its values in an order that is optimized for efficiency. However, It is important to know that within a HashSet, values are not stored in the order you place them. In addition, a set does not allow duplicates. If an item is added that is already present, that insertion is ignored. Another area of note is the HashSet and TreeSet classes provide implementation based on two different mechanisms. The HashSet structure groups elements into a smaller collection of elements that share the same characteristics.

hashset.jpg

In a HashSet, elements are grouped into smaller collections based on characteristics, such as with sneakers being grouped by brand within a warehouse. These elements are assigned a hash code (an integer value) and are placed into what is called a “hash table.” A hash table utilizes an array and the hash code of an element is used as an array index. If two elements have the same hash code (referred to as a “collision”), they are placed into the same bucket (a linked list of elements with the same position or index value). By grouping elements by “like” characteristics, searching can be carried-out a lot quicker than traversing through a entire structure element-by-element. In contrast to the HashSet class, the TreeSet class uses a different strategy for arranging elements. Here, elements are kept in sorted order. The elements are not stored in an array. Instead, they are stored in nodes (in a tree shape). When deciding which implementation to use, unless you need a sorted collection, use a HashSet as it is more efficient.

The Map Interface

A Map, which does not implement the Collections interface, manages associations by keys and values. Every key in the map has an associated value. You can think of a map as a ISBN (key) that maps to a book (value). Unlike a set, a map can store duplicates, and much like a set, unless you need the elements to be ordered, a HashMap is more efficient that a TreeMap implementation.

isbn.jpg

In Conclusion

In this article, I described the Java Collections Framework. When deciding on the structure to use, you should first recall the use for your program. If efficiency does not matter in your program and you want objects to be stored in the order you place them, use an ArrayList (the most commonly used structure). If you will be removing or updating items anywhere other than at the end of your list, use a LinkedList structure. If the order in which elements are stored is not important in your program, there will be constant manipulation and no duplicates are to be allowed, use a HashSet structure. If you want to map a key to a value (such as a state to its capital), use a Map structure. To force a specific storage and deletion pattern (such adding to the head and deleting from the head or adding to the tail and deleting from the head), looks towards a Stack or Queue structure. If you want elements to be sorted, use a Tree Structure.

Last edited:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
So I'm thinking about starting a blog or a website. My goal is to publish a article or publish a code project daily in one of the following technologies: Java, SQL, .Net, or Javascript. Topics will range from learning framework libraries, data structures, algorithms, creating three tier applications, database programming, desktop programming, etc. I've come to see that I have a talent of explaining things in a way people can understand. Right now I'm trying to see if I want to use tumblr or wordpress for my blog :lupe:...don't really have time to build my own website from the ground up...

This actually may be the first article i post...wrote it last night

I say buy a domain, get cheap hosting, install wordpress and do it. Doesnt have to be fancy just presentable. All about the content you post.