IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm a little confused by your question. You have a physical Windows 7 computer that you use to stream Hulu.....the rest of your post I'm not really sure what you're saying :skip:

I had to sit back and figure out what I wanted to do. Here is what I'm trying to do.

- I want to have a central server to store all my TV shows and shyt and be able to stream them from any computer. That is pretty simple, I think I can just set up a Windows share folder for that.

- I want to have a central server to run VMs off of for doing work. I mainly do shyt in Microsoft Office, but the desktop I am doing it on is slow/old. I want to see/know if a VM can operate faster than the computer it is working through, if the server it is working through has more RAM/processing power etc.

Im not gonna do shyt with my media computer except remove video from it and stream it from the server. So basically I wanna know what the cheapest server I would need to do that would be, as far as processor type and RAM requirements, assuming it would have times where it would have to run a VM and stream media at the same time. As well as be a server for setting up a little test lab in the future. And I want the server to be Linux. Does that make sense? What should I buy

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Sorry guys. I'm disappointed in Obama with this. We don't need to get involved. That's the problem now. We've stretched ourselves too thin. Sure they will say it's just bombing now but really then what? It's going to escalate and I don't think we need this right now. Plus a lot of our allies aren't even backing us on this. He pushed it on to congress so everyone can take the blame. We see who votes what but I'm against America getting in any wars or strikes unless it's a threat to the U.S. If the Syria issue can't get the rest of the world to go in with us then what are we doing? I'm not saying horrible things aren't happening I'm saying that America can't police the world. This has to stop.
:camby:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I had to sit back and figure out what I wanted to do. Here is what I'm trying to do.

- I want to have a central server to store all my TV shows and shyt and be able to stream them from any computer. That is pretty simple, I think I can just set up a Windows share folder for that.

- I want to have a central server to run VMs off of for doing work. I mainly do shyt in Microsoft Office, but the desktop I am doing it on is slow/old. I want to see/know if a VM can operate faster than the computer it is working through, if the server it is working through has more RAM/processing power etc.

Im not gonna do shyt with my media computer except remove video from it and stream it from the server. So basically I wanna know what the cheapest server I would need to do that would be, as far as processor type and RAM requirements, assuming it would have times where it would have to run a VM and stream media at the same time. As well as be a server for setting up a little test lab in the future. And I want the server to be Linux. Does that make sense? What should I buy

Virtual machines don't work through another computer. You're probably referring to Remote Access. When you create a virtual machine, it is sort of like a video game emulator. You are creating an emulation of a computer with a certain set of hardware specifications. The "games" for a virtual machine would be an image of whatever operating system you decide to use. With virtual machines, the computer you are running the VM off of always has to have greater specifications than the virtual machine you have created, since you are essentially partitioning your computer's current resources and allocating some of them to the virtual machine.

Say for example I have a computer with an 8 core processor and 16 GB of RAM. When I create a virtual machine, I am not connecting to another computer at all. I'm simply opening whatever virtual machine software I decide to use. When configuring that software, I choose what operating system I want to run and then I allocate whatever computer resources to the virtual machine I deem fit. The software creates a sort of 'digital computer' for the new OS to run in. Whatever resources I allocate to the virtual machine has to be less than the resources I have available on my physical machine since it is utilizing resources from the physical machine and creating an emulated computer. The purpose of a virtual machine is if you want to run two or more operating systems simultaneously on one computer instead of having to either reboot and enter into Linux or Windows or instead of having ot

Remote Access, on the other hand, allows you to access another computer from your current computer and it's as if you are sitting in front of the other computer. You move the mouse on your current computer and in a remote access environment, the mouse cursor moves across the screen on the other computer. You are essentially using the other computer from your current computer. I'm guessing that's what you want to do. Team Viewer is a very easy to use form of remote access software.

If you want to build a computer to use as a server, are you willing to build it to yourself? What is your budget, and will you only be using it as a media server?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I am thinking about building it myself, though I am also wondering if I can/should get a used one for cheaper. The way I am looking at it now, I want to get a file/media server that will also serve as a media center and a physical resource base for VMs. Im thinking I want something with an i5 processor, 16GB RAM (w/the ability to go to 32 or even 64GB down the line), and a 120GB SSD (which would be the main reason I would build it myself- I have plenty of other regular media drives). My budget is ~$1000 for this server and a 17" i3 laptop... if I can't have both I will just get the laptop. FWIW I want to run Ubuntu on the server and my laptop, and have the VMs run Windows 7 (for Microsoft Office).

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Jesus Christ I hope when they release Java 8, it becomes more like C#. Writing code in C# is just :ohlawd:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
before or after taxes? gotta be specific breh

I was specific. I said take home pay. Meaning after taxes and deductions, I'm making 10k/mo.

I'm making 15k/mo before taxes. Government so deep in my ass its disgusting :damn:

A year from now, I'm gonna be at 40k/mo though watch me.

I'm gonna trick off so much money at the strip club it'll be legendary :wow: