IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
IT brehs

I am getting a laptop and a desktop... I want to mess with virtualization on both. What is the best bang for the buck as far as Intel processors that support VT-x? Would it pay to get an i5/i7 over the i3 for just doing basic shyt? I mite fukk with some light 3D modeling but the main shyt I would be doing is browsing the web + doing shyt on Microsoft Office in a VM on the laptop, and pretty much straight Microsoft Office shyt on the desktop. I'm gonna run Ubuntu + some kind of VM software on the laptop and Win 7 on the desktop.

Unles you're doing video encoding, i7 is a waste of money. An i5 would be good enough. How many VM's are you planning on running? You'll more than likely run out of RAM and HDD bottlenecks before you gotta worry about CPU utilizations.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Anybody have a good website(s) explaining OSI?

What don't you understand. Wikipedia will probably give you everything you need to know.

And truth be told, as an engineer, you very rarely have to worry about the OSI model (outside of knowing what it is). Cables at layer 1, switches at layer 2, routers at 3, TCP/UDP at 4, applications (http, ftp, etc) at 7. And honestly as a network guy, anything about layer 3 you'll just throw in the bushes.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Unles you're doing video encoding, i7 is a waste of money. An i5 would be good enough. How many VM's are you planning on running? You'll more than likely run out of RAM and HDD bottlenecks before you gotta worry about CPU utilizations.
Most likely just 1 or 2 for now, I just want to get my hands dirty and maybe work my way up to a server

The end goal is to have it where there's one server with all the data and every other computer in the house can be a client in Win 7, OSX or Linux. I just want to see if I can do it

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
just got my a+ certification this morning brehs. The 702 version expires on saturday so i had to go ahead and finish the second part (practical..took essentials in late '11). Barely passed but I passed :whew: (had been studying on/off since 06 :flabbynsick:)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
i hear you but i'm more interested in numerical/ quantittive computing and for almost all of those roles certs are not required.

certs have nothing to do with this. quantitative computing is simply programming in the financial sector.
edit: nevermind I see you was asking about certs just for reference.

All Star
Daps
What don't you understand. Wikipedia will probably give you everything you need to know.

And truth be told, as an engineer, you very rarely have to worry about the OSI model (outside of knowing what it is). Cables at layer 1, switches at layer 2, routers at 3, TCP/UDP at 4, applications (http, ftp, etc) at 7. And honestly as a network guy, anything about layer 3 you'll just throw in the bushes.
I have a lab on it and half of the questions aren't in the required book. I "get" OSI in a practical sense. I can give a generic example but I'm not prepared to write technical paragraphs about it.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Most likely just 1 or 2 for now, I just want to get my hands dirty and maybe work my way up to a server

The end goal is to have it where there's one server with all the data and every other computer in the house can be a client in Win 7, OSX or Linux. I just want to see if I can do it

If all you'll be running is a few VM's, an i5 is more than enough. Just make sure you plan ahead. Even though you may not want 32GB of ram in your VM server right now, make sure that your motherboard at least supports it and just be a single 8GB stick of DDR3. That was as you want to throw more VM's in there, you'll just have to be an extra 8GB stick whenever you need it.

I have a lab on it and half of the questions aren't in the required book. I "get" OSI in a practical sense. I can give a generic example but I'm not prepared to write technical paragraphs about it.

Here's a PDF from Cisco explaining the OSI model. That should be a good start

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/34197-6073/

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
If all you'll be running is a few VM's, an i5 is more than enough. Just make sure you plan ahead. Even though you may not want 32GB of ram in your VM server right now, make sure that your motherboard at least supports it and just be a single 8GB stick of DDR3. That was as you want to throw more VM's in there, you'll just have to be an extra 8GB stick whenever you need it.
OK

What about video... one of the computers would be basically purely for streaming Hulu etc. Right now it has Win 7 and some HDMI video card. It works well enough. Would I be able to use its video card as a local machine or does the VM only use the hardware of wherever the VM is operating out of?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
OK

What about video... one of the computers would be basically purely for streaming Hulu etc. Right now it has Win 7 and some HDMI video card. It works well enough. Would I be able to use its video card as a local machine or does the VM only use the hardware of wherever the VM is operating out of?

I'm a little confused by your question. You have a physical Windows 7 computer that you use to stream Hulu.....the rest of your post I'm not really sure what you're saying :skip:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Just finished searching through 17,000 lines of code looking for a fukking bug while using a shytty IDE. My fukking head hurts and I want to kill the programmer that wrote this shyt.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
a virtual machine is essentially an emulation environment that allows you to run another operating system in addition to your primary operating system. It creates a 'virtual computer' based upon whatever resources you decide to allocate to that particular 'virtual machine', and the operating system that you run acts as if it is running on a separate computer based upon those specs you gave to that virtual machine. Obviously the specs have to be lower than the machine you are running the VM off of. The purpose of a virtual machine is if you want to run two or more operating systems on the same computer simultaneously, and not necessary if you are running a server. If you want to run a server based off of linux that has no windows equivalent but don't want to boot directly into linux, then sure, a VM could work for you. Think of a virtual machine sort of like a videogame emulator where the ROMs are whatever other operating system you decide to run.

Download vmware vmplayer and get ubuntu linux and try it out.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/5_0

I don't see why you would use a virtual machine for streaming hulu. Any modern computer can open up a browser and access hulu since it is a streaming service that streams from hulu's servers. Now I can see you wanting to create a virtual machine if you were storing movies on your local hard drive and using it to stream to other computers and there was software on another OS like linux that you could get for free that isn't available for windows... For what you are attempting to do, you don't need a virtual machine for that. You can use windows networking features included in it.

semtex

:)
Daps
Just finished searching through 17,000 lines of code looking for a fukking bug while using a shytty IDE. My fukking head hurts and I want to kill the programmer that wrote this shyt.
:scusthov: *volunteers for interaction design/prototyping rather than debugging undocumented code*