IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I put python on the backburner and started messing up Javascript, and contrary to what a lot of people say about javascript, I'm really enjoying it. I actually enjoy having to put braces {} to use my loops and for my functions. The main thing I like about javascript is that anyone can run your little program immediately as soon as you are done developing, If someone wants to play your game, they can do that. All you have to do is upload it and they can try it in their browser. No downloads or any sort of installation required. I think I'll stick with HTML5 and javascript for now and pick up some other language down the road. I'm not really interested in making these huge 3d titles. Simple, 2d games with depth and tight mechanics are what I'd like to focus on.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
It's been fun learning how to program. What once looked like a bunch of gibberish finally starts to make a lot of sense.

How far along is you breh? What language is you studying...Also here is a GREAT word of advice (For anyone wondering what to learn programming wise)...

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yo im in the process of getting all compTIA certs ..

Am i good money or no?

Im getting A plus Network ...Security... Server ....

After that ... or before that ... is there anything i should know?

Also i heard that those certs can add credits to your college major and basically cancel some of the courses you would normally be taking ..

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
well i shouldn't have said "All" ... just those four ... The essentials i guess...

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
How far along is you breh? What language is you studying...Also here is a GREAT word of advice (For anyone wondering what to learn programming wise)...

I originally started off with Python, but then started doing these Javascript tutorials and I really started enjoying Javascript. I'm looking into HTML5 and it really seems to take HTML into a higher level... HTML5 and Javascript look to be quite powerful. After I focus on HTML5 and Javascript, I'll probably move into PHP and SQL, learning how to integrate databases and the such. Maybe down the line when I'm skilled at programming, I'll start learning C++ or C# and crank out a game.

What I like about Javascript and HTML 5 is that since it is browser-based and scripting-based, I don't have to worry about using a compiler, I don't have to worry about cross-platform compatibility for the most part, and HTML5 looks to be very robust... You can even develop games with it. Obviously they will not compete with something written in c/c++ or c#, but I'm not really interested in doing that. With things like node.js, you can do things server-side as well. I like it because I can just learn one simple language and then just learn some of these different frameworks instead of having to know all kinds of different languages.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yo im in the process of getting all compTIA certs ..

Am i good money or no?

Im getting A plus Network ...Security... Server ....

After that ... or before that ... is there anything i should know?

Also i heard that those certs can add credits to your college major and basically cancel some of the courses you would normally be taking ..

As far as I've heard, A+ is coo to get into the door for a help desk job. Network is unnecessary. You might want to read the network book just for general knowledge, but you'd get much further in terms of job prospects by working on your CCNA. Instead of server+, you'd probably be better off going after MCSE. You'd save a lot of money by going that route instead... Security+ might be one to get if you're going into government work however.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I guess that would be whatever it is I need to get an IT Cert.

You hustling backwards breh. :russ:

Figure out what area of IT you'd like to go into first, then get relevant certs.

If you're trying to go into support, then A+/Network+ would be good, but if you're trying to go into programming there's no point bothering with those.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You hustling backwards breh. :russ:

Figure out what area of IT you'd like to go into first, then get relevant certs.

If you're trying to go into support, then A+/Network+ would be good, but if you're trying to go into programming there's no point bothering with those.
Well I'm already going for a degree in computer science/ programming.
So I'll assume that would be ruled out.
Though if I can get certs in certain programming languages then
I'll gladly go handle that too :laugh:

So how many different areas are in IT overall ?

:sadcam:
I get the feeling I'm gonna have to read through this
whole thread.
Yeah, IT is a big field.

IT Support (PC Techs, helpdesk, tech support, etc.)
Networking (Network Admins)
Managing Servers (Sys Admins)
Databases (DBAs)
Programming
Web Development
Business Analysts
Security
IT Management
Quality Assurance
Project Management

And I'm sure there are tons of areas I'm leaving out. So I guess you need to figure out what you want to do. I know there are programming certs for different languages, though I'm not sure how much they matter since that's not my area. But I'd say if you want to do programming specifically, try to learn a language inside and out and maybe have a project you can show prospective employers.

From what I've seen, certs are more important on the support/networking/security side than in programming. But it definitely wouldn't hurt to get a cert in whatever programming language you're interested in learning.
Well in that case, point me towards support/networking and security information.
(that's what I assumed most IT is to be honest.....)
I think I'd like to start there if you guys can help.

Last edited:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Well I'm already going for a degree in computer science/ programming.
So I'll assume that would be ruled out.
Though if I can get certs in certain programming languages then
I'll gladly go handle that too :laugh:

So how many different areas are in IT overall ?

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to read through this
whole thread.

Yeah, IT is a big field.

IT Support (PC Techs, helpdesk, tech support, etc.)
Networking (Network Admins)
Managing Servers (Sys Admins)
Databases (DBAs)
Programming
Web Development
Business Analysts
Security
IT Management
Quality Assurance
Project Management

And I'm sure there are tons of areas I'm leaving out. So I guess you need to figure out what you want to do. I know there are programming certs for different languages, though I'm not sure how much they matter since that's not my area. But I'd say if you want to do programming specifically, try to learn a language inside and out and maybe have a project you can show prospective employers.

From what I've seen, certs are more important on the support/networking/security side than in programming. But it definitely wouldn't hurt to get a cert in whatever programming language you're interested in learning.