IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@bdizzle what's your story on getting into security and what's that field like? i'm curious cause i got into computers and learned programming from trying to hack into other people machines in the early days of aol chatrooms and i still read about security here and there out of curiosity nowadays.

I got into security from being a network guy. Worked mostly with AD, then got a contract for a bank doing AD security work. Decided to just focus on security and 5 or so years later here I am.

Security is a pretty big branch of IT since it touches everything. Programming, Networking, Databases, Web Sites, Servers, Policies, Processes......everything.

If you want to get into security, your first step is getting the CISSP (if you qualify). It'll open up a lot of doors for you. Plus the bytches love it :ohlawd:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yo @Data-Hawk

Props for dropping that pluralsight.com link. I've been fukking with that joint heavy whenever I need to get a quick refresh on something. I used to fukk with Lynda.com back in the day but I like puralsight wayyyy better.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Yo @Data-Hawk

Props for dropping that pluralsight.com link. I've been fukking with that joint heavy whenever I need to get a quick refresh on something. I used to fukk with Lynda.com back in the day but I like puralsight wayyyy better.

Yeah, I love the site. I forgot how much I pay a month. Somewhere between 30 - $45 but its more than worth. You can download their app for the iphone/ipad. Not sure if they have an android version.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got into security from being a network guy. Worked mostly with AD, then got a contract for a bank doing AD security work. Decided to just focus on security and 5 or so years later here I am.

Security is a pretty big branch of IT since it touches everything. Programming, Networking, Databases, Web Sites, Servers, Policies, Processes......everything.

If you want to get into security, your first step is getting the CISSP (if you qualify). It'll open up a lot of doors for you. Plus the bytches love it :ohlawd:

cool. just curious i'm not about that certs life and besides i like what i'm doing right now (just got into quantitative development at a trading firm) a nice mix of programming, finance and math but shyt in this industry is mad fickle so i'll keep that in mind.
I did it breh's :gladbron:

As of today, I'm making $10,000/mo in take home pay :blessed:

I did it for the coli :to:
congrats.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
cool. just curious i'm not about that certs life and besides i like what i'm doing right now (just got into quantitative development at a trading firm) a nice mix of programming, finance and math but shyt in this industry is mad fickle so i'll keep that in mind.

congrats.

Depending on what area you want to switch to, certs are the best way to get a salary boost. I remember back when I was grinding I remember hearing sys admins making 50k/yr talmbout :childplease: certs are useless breh. I've been doing this shyt for 10 years, fukka cert :pacspit:.

Good thing I've ignored all the shytty advice people has given me throughout my life :whew:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Depending on what area you want to switch to, certs are the best way to get a salary boost. I remember back when I was grinding I remember hearing sys admins making 50k/yr talmbout :childplease: certs are useless breh. I've been doing this shyt for 10 years, fukka cert :pacspit:.

Good thing I've ignored all the shytty advice people has given me throughout my life :whew:
I'm at a point in my life where I can build a full network with data-R/S and voice all in one.

I don't think my resume would have been looked at 7 years ago if I didn't have a CCNA at the time.

People who say certs are worthless refuse to be dynamic and don't want to learn.

I will be tackling IE R/S or voice soon also most senior engineers try to discourage lower level guys from getting certs because they don't want to be stuck doing the shytty support once the employee sees the light.

Last edited:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

i hear you but i'm more interested in numerical/ quantittive computing and for almost all of those roles certs are not required.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I did it breh's :gladbron:

As of today, I'm making $10,000/mo in take home pay :blessed:

I did it for the coli :to:
:salute: Congrats bruh.

Anyway, time for me to take a break from the coli( after today ).........just set a new goal for myself....within 6 - 8 months. I'd like to have a game demo up on kickstarter...with a goal of $400K :merchant:and quit my daytime job.

LOL..Some of you might be like "Data-Hawk is crazy".. Naw if these 2 dudes ( both Black btw:obama: ) can set a kickstarter goal for $120k and end up with $751,920 to finish the game( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth). It's a sign for me to stop playing around and actually finish a project..lol..Plus with my father starting to recover from cancer, I don't want him to worry about bills.

I'll be back when I actually have a playable demo for the PC.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yeah, I love the site. I forgot how much I pay a month. Somewhere between 30 - $45 but its more than worth. You can download their app for the iphone/ipad. Not sure if they have an android version.

Yea, my account is $30 per month

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
i hear you but i'm more interested in numerical/ quantittive computing and for almost all of those roles certs are not required.

I don't even know what half those words mean :skip:

EDIT: also I don't know if it has anything to do with those $400 words you was using in your post, but look into forensics. I think there's a lot of math involved. I do know that those dudes make stupid paper. Bill rate at $500/hr and shyt.

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:salute: Congrats bruh.

Anyway, time for me to take a break from the coli( after today ).........just set a new goal for myself....within 6 - 8 months. I'd like to have a game demo up on kickstarter...with a goal of $400K :merchant:and quit my daytime job.

LOL..Some of you might be like "Data-Hawk is crazy".. Naw if these 2 dudes ( both Black btw:obama: ) can set a kickstarter goal for $120k and end up with $751,920 to finish the game( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth). It's a sign for me to stop playing around and actually finish a project..lol..Plus with my father starting to recover from cancer, I don't want him to worry about bills.

I'll be back when I actually have a playable demo for the PC.

Good luck with that breh, when you get your make money make a thread on the coli and make sure you @ the nigerian :lolbron:

Have you made a game before?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm at a point in my life where I can build a full network with data-R/S and voice all in one.

I don't think my resume would have been looked at 7 years ago if I didn't have a CCNA at the time.

People who say certs are worthless refuse to be dynamic and don't want to learn.

I will be tackling IE R/S or voice soon also most senior engineers try to discourage lower level guys from getting certs because they don't want to be stuck doing the shytty support once the employee sees the light.

Good luck with that breh, just make sure you have the time cause It's a lot of material to cover :whew: .A lot of doors will open up for you once you get it. Even though you a c00n I hope you get it and can join the 5 figure a month club soon :salute:

I was going for mine, but I decdided to give it a break though and focus on my company. Last time this year I said my goal was to make 10k/mo and I did it. Now my goal is to try to hit 40k/mo with this company. In 2 years I'm gonna make an "Ask a millionaire anything" thread. And I'm still gonna be pushing my 04 Saturn with manual windows :blessed:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
IT brehs

I am getting a laptop and a desktop... I want to mess with virtualization on both. What is the best bang for the buck as far as Intel processors that support VT-x? Would it pay to get an i5/i7 over the i3 for just doing basic shyt? I mite fukk with some light 3D modeling but the main shyt I would be doing is browsing the web + doing shyt on Microsoft Office in a VM on the laptop, and pretty much straight Microsoft Office shyt on the desktop. I'm gonna run Ubuntu + some kind of VM software on the laptop and Win 7 on the desktop.