IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Not into databases, but they don't have a profiler? so you can see where everything is spending its time?

semtex

:)
Daps
Demand for Linux skills is apparently soaring. How convenient :youngsabo: Just started learning Linux in my infrastructure course.

semtex

Daps
Btw has anyone been a developer or software engineer for a really large corporation (e.g. Bank of America)? I have heard that it largely consists of being yelled at and rushed by people who don't understand or appreciate your job.
mma-andersonsilva-upset_20120317_1692432919.png

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Btw has anyone been a developer or software engineer for a really large corporation (e.g. Bank of America)? I have heard that it largely consists of being yelled at and rushed by people who don't understand or appreciate your job.
mma-andersonsilva-upset_20120317_1692432919.png

I won't say yelled at, but you will be rushed. Which leads to bugs or writing code in a way you don't like sometimes. Hence these security mofo's eating out here. Lol. My lead was a programmer so he understands but our manager has never written a single line of code in his life.i think he even stated its just "input/output" one day. Hence I continue to dream of the day/ can't wait until my game company forms. I want to be around nothing but technical people. Never want to manage people etc.

The rushing part only happens when a deadline nears. Other than that its write some code/surf the net.

semtex

Daps
I won't say yelled at, but you will be rushed. Which leads to bugs or writing code in a way you don't like sometimes. Hence these security mofo's eating out here. Lol. My lead was a programmer so he understands but our manager has never written a single line of code in his life.i think he even stated its just "input/output" one day. Hence I continue to dream of the day/ can't wait until my game company forms. I want to be around nothing but technical people. Never want to manage people etc.

The rushing part only happens when a deadline nears. Other than that its write some code/surf the net.

1310121676_angry_wrestler.gif

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Lol. Ya I wanted to smack the shyt out of him. O well they only care if it works or not. They don't give a shyt how clean/well designed the program is. Another reason why I like games so much. You know right away.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Why you never got into databases, breh? That shyt is dope.

I did some oracle stuff ages ago, even passed the first part of one of oracle 9 certs( the SQL one ). But the only reason I even got into programming was games. I think building a world people can enjoy vs looking at tables or dealing with credit card/ check code all day. Nope can't do it.lol

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I did some oracle stuff ages ago, even passed the first part of one of oracle 9 certs( the SQL one ). But the only reason I even got into programming was games. I think building a world people can enjoy vs looking at tables or dealing with credit card/ check code all day. Nope can't do it.lol

Lol, I feel you.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Here's something I'm working on now. I stopped trying to create a "Game" but rather keep messing around until it hits me. stop trying to force it. ( Inspired by minecraft & Cube World )
24eqqz8.jpg

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

And we :eat: real good breh :blessed:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FIrst, you sure the queries you're using are efficient? Next, MongoDB is not column-based, that's what you call a "document-based" database. You can check out pretty-much all NoSQL databases here...

http://nosql-database.org/

Not into databases, but they don't have a profiler? so you can see where everything is spending its time?

my queries are efficient as i could get them, i set indexes on the columns i'm searching on the most and i profiled them and it's still not up to par but from my research mysql and relational db's in general are not suited for the type of data and queries i'm working with. most places in this industry uses column oriented db's like kdb (which i understand why now) or roll their own.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's something I'm working on now. I stopped trying to create a "Game" but rather keep messing around until it hits me. stop trying to force it. ( Inspired by minecraft & Cube World )
24eqqz8.jpg

nice. game programming is fun it's the right combination of math and programming. one of my favorite classes in grad school was a computer graphics class where we had to create our own rendering engine from scratch.

Last edited:

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Why can't typical DBA's understand the fundamentals of configuring a DB server?

Had to condense and remove a SQL log file that has grown more than 60% causing one of our datastores to fill up.

Remote DBA experts are the ones that set it up but couldn't resolve the issue.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@bdizzle what's your story on getting into security and what's that field like? i'm curious cause i got into computers and learned programming from trying to hack into other people machines in the early days of aol chatrooms and i still read about security here and there out of curiosity nowadays.