IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I've been telling dudes that CompTIA exams are antiquated.

Employers are still requiring an A+ though. We got some tier 1 positions just openend up and they all say A+ is required. No one should stop there, but not having it is gonna make it more dificult to get that 1st gig.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Employers are still requiring an A+ though. We got some tier 1 positions just openend up and they all say A+ is required. No one should stop there, but not having it is gonna make it more dificult to get that 1st gig.

That's the reason I got mine. It was the most common cert for entry level positions. A lot of recruiters on job posting sites (careerbuilder, monster,etc.) are non technical and just use a shot gun approach when it comes to posting entry certification requirements.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What do you do, exactly?

Now, at the moment, I develop back-end applications that requires the use of SQL and various other programming languages. Soon, I'm looking forward to using my MBA to move-up into a more managerial role. But right now, I really enjoy developing applications :ehh:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup, just saw a unified school district looking for a computer tech that required an A+. People should still continue to roll with at least an A+ to get their foot in the door. The rest of up to you.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Now, at the moment, I develop back-end applications that requires the use of SQL and various other programming languages. Soon, I'm looking forward to using my MBA to move-up into a more managerial role. But right now, I really enjoy developing applications :ehh:

That's cool, breh. How long have you been developing applications?

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami

Oh trust I know this. CompTIA certs are still in demand but again the testing curriculum is still outdated as I mentioned.

I interviewed and hired an entry level TSA who had an A+ Cert but his experience and knowledge for him the job.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We have A+ listed as a requirement for desktop techs as well. But its only purpose is to establish a baseline of competency. It basically means, at the very least have a A+ to show that you somewhat know the basics. It helps to weed out some of the weaker resumes.

It's not like it's a VCP where the company can actually benefit from hiring someone with that cert. If somebody walked in with 5 years experience, or had certs with some actual worth then that A+ requirement goes completely out the window. If you can skip that shyt and go straight to a cert track that could actually help your career then do it.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

The thing that I do now as a manager :myman:..not easy especially since the company didnt have any set formalized processes in place to handle certain things so i can try to optimize

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Didn't score as high as I would like but the CCNA is done. I got my switch, route, and tshoot books shipped to me last Friday. Time to start looking for a job and starting on CCNP. I got a CCNA: Security book which doesn't look too hard, might start on that first instead of switch. Either way I'm waiting to at least next spring to get another certification.

Last edited:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
which of you bros work with no sql or column oriented databases. at my job we have a shytload of time series data, around 40gb, and increasing at more than 1gb per day. i'm currently using mysql to work with it but it's a bit slow for certain queries and it's my job to look into alternatives. so far i've been looking at mongo db, hbase + hadoop for analysis, monet db, sci db to name a few but some of them are linux only and i'm not sure if we want to go down that route. i'll start testing those that run on windows soon but i just thought i'll check here just in case one of you have experience with any of these to narrow my search.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
which of you bros work with no sql or column oriented databases. at my job we have a shytload of time series data, around 40gb, and increasing at more than 1gb per day. i'm currently using mysql to work with it but it's a bit slow for certain queries and it's my job to look into alternatives. so far i've been looking at mongo db, hbase + hadoop for analysis, monet db, sci db to name a few but some of them are linux only and i'm not sure if we want to go down that route. i'll start testing those that run on windows soon but i just thought i'll check here just in case one of you have experience with any of these to narrow my search.

FIrst, you sure the queries you're using are efficient? Next, MongoDB is not column-based, that's what you call a "document-based" database. You can check out pretty-much all NoSQL databases here...

http://nosql-database.org/