IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Something I'm finding about programming languages is that most of them are very similar in many aspects, but they carry about the same set of core tasks in different ways. Once you learn the concepts of programming, picking up new languages should be a lot easier. Most languages share concepts such as variables, arrays, loops, conditionals etc.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
You might be like me.

What ur gonna have to do is reward your progress. Say, "if i do this then Im allowed 2 hours of x videos... etc" Then if I get thur this and learn this then.....TV "

btw, mine was strip clubs.

my reward is something that helps me towards the goal of financial gain...I get my first check as a manager in 10 days..aside from having a 4 figure amount taken out in taxes :birdman:...the net pay is going to be :banderas:...im def going to indulge in some stuff come labor day weekend

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You guys need to leave these Comptia exams alone, they are a waste of time and money outside of Sec+. Unless you are getting a job at DoD or something and it's required, you are better off going another route.

Instead of Net+, which is bullshyt, go for CCENT which is cheaper. It might be a little harder but you can build on it and it's much more applicable to real world IT because its based on a industry standard.

Instead of A+, go for a Windows 7 MCSA. This might actually be easier than A+ in my opinion outside of the deployment, and security stuff. Plus by now Windows should be extremely familiar to most people and it's easy to lab. And like CCENT, you can build on it...even though I wouldn't bother.

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
You guys need to leave these Comptia exams alone, they are a waste of time and money outside of Sec+. Unless you are getting a job at DoD or something and it's required, you are better off going another route.

Instead of Net+, which is bullshyt, go for CCENT which is cheaper. It might be a little harder but you can build on it and it's much more applicable to real world IT because its based on a industry standard.

Instead of A+, go for a Windows 7 MCSA. This might actually be easier than A+ in my opinion outside of the deployment, and security stuff. Plus by now Windows should be extremely familiar to most people and it's easy to lab. And like CCENT, you can build on it...even though I wouldn't bother.

I've been telling dudes that CompTIA exams are antiquated.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

this is great advice. a microsoft cert will give you a better chance of getting a job than an A+ and the value of a microsoft cert for the price is a lot better than the A+.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will start with networking...Since you are already doing desktop support, you should be familiar with basic concepts of switching and routing.

Pick up a CCNA video tutorial from CBT nuggets and watch...also look up gns3.

Dedicate an hour or 2 a day and within 6 months you should be ready
I will start with networking...Since you are already doing desktop support, you should be familiar with basic concepts of switching and routing.

Pick up a CCNA video tutorial from CBT nuggets and watch...also look up gns3.

Dedicate an hour or 2 a day and within 6 months you should be ready

Any suggestion on the move after u have your ccna? Should i get ccna voice/security or go straight to ccnp?? Is there a market for the cnda??

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Any suggestion on the move after u have your ccna? Should i get ccna voice/security or go straight to ccnp?? Is there a market for the cnda??

I like voice so I moved to CCNA/P voice but I also did the normal CCNP.

I will recommend going straight for the CCNP since that gives you a very solid foundation of networking

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks for your advice...i was looking at voice too but a better foundation always pays in the end

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Cisco just expanded their cert tracks so take a look at the new ones. I don't know much about the Design track, I'm guessing that's what you mean by "cnda". But the CCNA/CCNP Data Center cert is beast right now. The first exam should be easy since it's pretty much the same stuff from the CCNA R&S, but the second one is a fool...

But UC is the present and future of IT, you might want to look into it.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Cisco just expanded their cert tracks so take a look at the new ones. I don't know much about the Design track, I'm guessing that's what you mean by "cnda". But the CCNA/CCNP Data Center cert is beast right now. The first exam should be easy since it's pretty much the same stuff from the CCNA R&S, but the second one is a fool...

just looked this up and :wow: that's huge. i wish i had known this 2 days ago during out staff meeting when the director asked us what would we like to receive training/information on. any other advice on what's going to take over in the future?

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami

I can co-sign this.

I have a CCNA but it's almost 10 years old. So my experience outweighs me getting any new certs for the time being, Anyhow..

For voice I am running Cisco CUCM with UCCX on ESXi 5.0 hypervisors managed on Cisco Call Manager.

Also...

The Cisco newbies should know and learn Cisco ASA firewall's.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Something I'm finding about programming languages is that most of them are very similar in many aspects, but they carry about the same set of core tasks in different ways. Once you learn the concepts of programming, picking up new languages should be a lot easier. Most languages share concepts such as variables, arrays, loops, conditionals etc.

For the most part ya, only downside is for OOP languages, you will never truly understand the benefits until you work with a team of programmers. Most of it may seem like you are learning all these extra features for nothing. Right now we are dealing with legacy code and rather than extend or overload a method, you wind up writing completely new code.......:(

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs, got a question for everyone...What is your favorite technology that you work with?

For me, I would have to say SQL and databases. For me, that shyt just came super natural.
Is SQL your line of work? What got you started with SQL?