IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs, got a question for everyone...What is your favorite technology that you work with?

For me, I would have to say SQL and databases. For me, that shyt just came super natural.

I have been looking to get into that...Any advice? Should I know SQL 2008 before 2012? How did you break into it and what makes it better than everything else?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I have been looking to get into that...Any advice? Should I know SQL 2008 before 2012? How did you break into it and what makes it better than everything else?

Nah, SQL is SQL. There is no reason to go back and learn a earlier version of SQL. Learn the latest version as it is an update which mean many old features may be phased out or updated. And by SQL 2012, I'm assuming your're talking about Microsoft SQL Server? Unless you're only trying to work with SQL on a Microsoft platform, I would suggest learning MySQL as you'll learn the basic command that'll apply across all versions of SQL.

If your trying to work on Microsoft SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

or

MySQL

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/

There are dozens of tutorials, youtube videos, and books on the web to help get you started.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Brehs, got a question for everyone...What is your favorite technology that you work with?

For me, I would have to say SQL and databases. For me, that shyt just came super natural.

So far, I'm enjoying mobile app development. Not that I have a completed project yet, but I've been reading through a book on Android development lately and I already have an idea for an app I want to develop (I'd have already whipped up an app or two for iOS, but my girl is currently using my iPhone, so I've no iOS devices to test apps on.). It's nothing fancy, but it's something to cut my teeth on. And I find that I enjoy seeing the results of what I'm doing on a device that's with me wherever I go.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
So far, I'm enjoying mobile app development. Not that I have a completed project yet, but I've been reading through a book on Android development lately and I already have an idea for an app I want to develop (I'd have already whipped up an app or two for iOS, but my girl is currently using my iPhone, so I've no iOS devices to test apps on.). It's nothing fancy, but it's something to cut my teeth on. And I find that I enjoy seeing the results of what I'm doing on a device that's with me wherever I go.

What type of environment you working in? If you working on a Mac, download xCode. The xCode IDE have an iPhone and iPad simulator you can use to test your program if you don't have an actual device on-hand.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What type of environment you working in? If you working on a Mac, download xCode. The xCode IDE have an iPhone and iPad simulator you can use to test your program if you don't have an actual device on-hand.

I'm really interested in programming. I'm tired of doing IT support.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, SQL is SQL. There is no reason to go back and learn a earlier version of SQL. Learn the latest version as it is an update which mean many old features may be phased out or updated. And by SQL 2012, I'm assuming your're talking about Microsoft SQL Server? Unless you're only trying to work with SQL on a Microsoft platform, I would suggest learning MySQL as you'll learn the basic command that'll apply across all versions of SQL.

If your trying to work on Microsoft SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

or

MySQL

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/

There are dozens of tutorials, youtube videos, and books on the web to help get you started.

Thanks man, I have been tryin to figure out the difference between the two. I figured that I should learn an earlier kinda like with Windows Server 2008. Thank you again for clearing that stuff up.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Well, I'm on a Mac and I was using Xcode, but my situation's...a bit complicated. My dev account expired back in May, right around the same time I had to start paying for one of my classes out of pocket, so I haven't been able to spare the money to renew my account. Which wouldn't be an issue, except I can't really get a feel for how well the app performs unless I'm testing it on an actual device, since the simulator chews out whatever you throw at it (apps running on the iOS simulator apparently compile into native x86 code).

Not that any of that keeps me from testing on the simulator, but since I'm using a Nexus 4 as my daily driver at the moment anyway, and I'd ideally like to be fluent in developing apps for both platforms, I figured I may as well pick up on Android development in the meantime.

I should be fine financially next month, so I'm planning to renew my account then and hopefully get a new phone for myself so my girl can use my Nexus 4 and I'll take back the iPhone as a guinea pig again.

Not that I'll be able to actually release anything on either platform anytime soon (my situation really sucks :sadcam: )

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I love Microsoft Excel and VBA. VBA is what really made me want to pursue other languages and check into programming. Way back in the day, I tried starting out with C, but you had to deal with all kinds of things in C that aren't really conducive to someone just learning programming. With something like Excel and VBA, you can see some sort of functional results immediately. Next, I'm branching into Python and eventually I'll probably learn some variant of C or Java.

The bit of SQL I've messed around with was a lot of fun as well. I love programs where you can play around with data... excel/databases. Great thing is, what I've seen from MySQL, you can easily import data from it to Excel if needs be, and I'm assuming from Excel to MySQL as well.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What I've found when buying study books for the exam, make sure to get the paper version of the book and not the kindle version. The kindle version is fine for reading information, but you miss out on the quality of pictures, which can be very helpful when distinguishing between different elements such as different slot types.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Make an effort to beast in programming or networking to escape this nightmare.

what is a good place to start breh, I was thinking about sql and java recently, and networking ever since i got into IT. When speaking with some of the cats that teach courses on the java langauge, they were basically saying I would have to quit my job and devote ALL of my time inorder to learn it and be effective :why:..of course they said I could crash course, but I would eventually get raped in the job field.

I loved IT support initially because of the various/random challenges, and i dont really get bothered too much, but it is starting to get boring, plus certain corporate policies and infrastructures are starting to rub me the wrong way

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
what is a good place to start breh, I was thinking about sql and java recently, and networking ever since i got into IT. When speaking with some of the cats that teach courses on the java langauge, they were basically saying I would have to quit my job and devote ALL of my time inorder to learn it and be effective :why:..of course they said I could crash course, but I would eventually get raped in the job field.

I loved IT support initially because of the various/random challenges, and i dont really get bothered too much, but it is starting to get boring, plus certain corporate policies and infrastructures are starting to rub me the wrong way
I will start with networking...Since you are already doing desktop support, you should be familiar with basic concepts of switching and routing.

Pick up a CCNA video tutorial from CBT nuggets and watch...also look up gns3.

Dedicate an hour or 2 a day and within 6 months you should be ready

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I will start with networking...Since you are already doing desktop support, you should be familiar with basic concepts of switching and routing.

Pick up a CCNA video tutorial from CBT nuggets and watch...also look up gns3.

Dedicate an hour or 2 a day and within 6 months you should be ready

good looking out, i've been putting it off for too long/got too comfortable.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

That's kinda with ANY real programming language, breh. Programming is a beast because you literally have to learn how to think (as crazy as that sound) as well as learn syntax. But once you get to beasting tho :whew: