IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This might be a little off-topic, but what's the typical salary for a network engineer (especially for a Jr. engineer)? So far in Maryland and Virginia it seems to be around $45,000, but I was kind of expecting it to be a little bit more.

It depends entirely on where you live.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
This might be a little off-topic, but what's the typical salary for a network engineer (especially for a Jr. engineer)? So far in Maryland and Virginia it seems to be around $45,000, but I was kind of expecting it to be a little bit more.

In VA,DC and marylard(from columbia going towards DC) it usually is. I started around 45k at the Help Desk in DC. but it all depends on your experience.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
It depends entirely on where you live.

I'm in Maryland, but if you or anyone else know the salary ranges from different regions I'd like to hear it.

In VA,DC and marylard(from columbia going towards DC) it usually is. I started around 45k at the Help Desk in DC. but it all depends on your experience.

Help desk around here is usually mid 30's to low 40's, so 45k for a network engineer kind of caught me off-guard. I would think one of the top 5 richest areas in the country would be a little less stingy (but then again you don't become rich by just giving it away). I was really expecting it to be a 50k position at minimum especially given the hoops you have to jump to become one.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I'm in Maryland, but if you or anyone else know the salary ranges from different regions I'd like to hear it.

Help desk around here is usually mid 30's to low 40's, so 45k for a network engineer kind of caught me off-guard. I would think one of the top 5 richest areas in the country would be a little less stingy (but then again you don't become rich by just giving it away). I was really expecting it to be a 50k position at minimum especially given the hoops you have to jump to become one.

ya. I have seen some crazy ones where they want you to be a network admin/network engineer for $12/hr. lol

If you are near Rockville - try Lockheed martin, IBM, Shady Grove hospital etc theres a ton of places up and down 355. theres also a ton of security companies in columbia(Nessus and one other famous one), Stay away from the NSA tho, I did a contract with them one time and unless you like going thru guards everyday and watching ppl walk around with shotguns,Snipers in towers and damn near every door having no handles, long white hallways. Lol let me shut up im sure im going against one of the contract rules
:blink:
If you want to make soms connects. visit the Linux user group in columbia. A ton of ppl in the industry come thru and give presentations.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
ya. I have seen some crazy ones where they want you to be a network admind/network engineer for $12/hr. lol

If you are near Rockville - try Lockheed martin, IBM, Shady Grove hospital etc theres a ton of places up and down 355. theres also a ton of security companies in columbia(Nessus and one other famous one), Stay away from the NSA tho, I did a contract with them one time and unless you like going thru guards everyday and watching ppl walk around with shotguns,Snipers in towers and damn near every door having no handles, long white hallways. Lol let me shut up im sure im going against one of the contract rules
:blink:
If you want to make soms connects. visit the Linux user group in columbia. A ton of ppl in the industry come thru and give presentations.

I occasionally drive by the Lockhead/IBM 355 stretch (I remember when it was only IBM). Truthfully I would much rather work in the counties and away from the city traffic.

I remember going by the NSA's booth in college and asking if they were hiring for my major. The woman looked me dead in the eye shook her head and said "nope".

For the Linux group, I'm not too sure how well I would fit in. I have very little experience with Linux. I took a basic Unix course in college and a couple years ago I briefly tried out ubuntu and Mint. After I'm done with the CCNA I might dive back into it.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I occasionally drive by the Lockhead/IBM 355 stretch (I remember when it was only IBM). Truthfully I would much rather work in the counties and away from the city traffic.

I remember going by the NSA's booth in college and asking if they were hiring for my major. The woman looked me dead in the eye shook her head and said "nope".

For the Linux group, I'm not too sure how well I would fit in. I have very little experience with Linux. I took a basic Unix course in college and a couple years ago I briefly tried out ubuntu and Mint. After I'm done with the CCNA I might dive back into it.

Cool, here's the link to their page( Columbia-Area Linux Users Group ), it's basically for all skill levels.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
what's good brehs? i haven't been in this thread for a while...on friday i just got hit with a job offer and i verbally accepted....the position is business analyst manager...got the offer letter in the email later in the day and was like :whoo::wow:..very very generous bump in salary...come monday im handing in my 2 week notice and faxing in my signed offer letter

@Bdizzle what up breh? im a 6 figure nikka now...has my membership application to the :mjpls: club been approved? :russ:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
what's good brehs? i haven't been in this thread for a while...on friday i just got hit with a job offer and i verbally accepted....the position is business analyst manager...got the offer letter in the email later in the day and was like :whoo::wow:..very very generous bump in salary...come monday im handing in my 2 week notice and faxing in my signed offer letter

@Bdizzle what up breh? im a 6 figure nikka now...has my membership application to the :mjpls: club been approved? :russ:

Unfortunately we're no longer accepting applicants of the "ethnic" persuasion
images

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have the VCAP5-DCA scheduled for August 26th and I ain't even started studying :lupe:

All I have is the trainsignal videos and the exam blueprint. I'm the first one on my team to schedule it, everybody else scared of it. It's all objective/lab based so even if I get stuck I think I can fumble my way through it. Anybody took this shyt yet?

Starting to tackle Powershell, it's def gonna be the future for the Windows Console.

Nah its the present

It's almost impossible to REALLY manage AD/Exchange without powershell

GMOGMediaTV

GMOGMedia.tv
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I have the VCAP5-DCA scheduled for August 26th and I ain't even started studying :lupe:

All I have is the trainsignal videos and the exam blueprint. I'm the first one on my team to schedule it, everybody else scared of it. It's all objective/lab based so even if I get stuck I think I can fumble my way through it. Anybody took this shyt yet?

Nah its the present

It's almost impossible to REALLY manage AD/Exchange without powershell

Citrix XenApp/Xendesktop relies heavily on PowerShell as well.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Unfortunately we're no longer accepting applicants of the "ethnic" persuasion
images

Is it because i miss other requirements of the 6 figure, 6 cert, 6 foot, 6 pack, 6 series IT coli club? ill be making 6 figures and im 6'3 1/2" but i have a 4 pack right now until i complete this 7 week cut, i drive a fully loaded suv instead of a 6 series and i have 2 degrees instead of 6 certs..that can be overlooked though if i change those other things...then would i be reconsidered for the :mjpls: club?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Is it because i miss other requirements of the 6 figure, 6 cert, 6 foot, 6 pack, 6 series IT coli club? ill be making 6 figures and im 6'3 1/2" but i have a 4 pack right now until i complete this 7 week cut, i drive a fully loaded suv instead of a 6 series and i have 2 degrees instead of 6 certs..that can be overlooked though if i change those other things...then would i be reconsidered for the :mjpls: club?

How many black friends do you have :leostare: