IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
My study time is not too far off. I am still up in the air about splitting the CCNA and earning that CCENT first (which makes sense)

Or just fukking knock the whole shyt out with the 640-802. I am fairly comfortable with everything right now, but splitting just appears to make much more sense. I figure if I fukk up I am just out of $125 instead of $250 right from the jump

Only you can know for sure. I took the two test route because it's what most sources recommended (plus it cuts the topics in half). But if you've been studying for the 802 all this time then you might be okay. The big issue with the one test method seems to be time. Time seems to hurt a lot of people even with the two test method. I was worried about it too, but I ended up finishing with a half hour to spare (in hindsight I probably should've taken my time more).

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
Just got offered a front-end Engineer job in Portland. $113,000 per, stock options, and they offered to pay for moving expenses. Got to turn it down tho, not really my type of city :wow:

Who are you LaMarcus Alrdridge?

My Co-Worker came back job hunting in Seattle and Portland. He's a Network Engineer but he doesn't enjoy it anymore. He's brushing up his programming skills and looking to head out in the next year.

He's older though.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Who are you LaMarcus Alrdridge?

My Co-Worker came back job hunting in Seattle and Portland. He's a Network Engineer but he doesn't enjoy it anymore. He's brushing up his programming skills and looking to head out in the next year.

He's older though.

Lol. Nah man. Honestly, moving out to Portland would be a tough move for me. My ENTIRE base is located in Atlanta and on the east coast. I'm currently involved in building a new clothing company with one of my best friends from college thats gonna pop fo'sho. That nikka designs are :ohlawd:. I'm handling everything tech-wise with the company (web, database, app, logo, etc.) and even creating some clothing designs myself :ehh:. I'm also considering building my own tech start-up real soon since I should be eating more off of my own skills (but I don't want to involve myself into too many projects neither). Plus I'm not really a job-bouncing type of person so a move would mean being gone for a hot second. But the right offer from a firm in So-Cal, New York, DC, MIA, Dallas/Houston, might have me packing tho, probably.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
how useful is a degree in CIS? I can't handle math but I like coding and working with computer systems

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
CIS ? As useful as you want it to be. Just figure out a lane and stick with it. Don't depend on anyone to teach you to code. Learn as much as you can on your own and combine that knowledge with what they teach you and you'll be alright.

To add. Find out the type of coder you want to be. All coders arent the same. Some fields you will need to love math( game programming for example ) you def need to know trig, some physics.etc. Im actually working on a first person shooter game now( will link you guys to my blog alittle later. on my iphone at the moment) I probably deal with more math in one function then all the code i write at work( Mobile Apps ).

I will say this though, the best coders have at least a decent understanding of math you dont need to be an expert. I hate math if its in a class room setting because i find it useless hence my grades:pachaha: But ask me to write some code to rotate an object around its y-axis or perform some matrix calculations and im all over it. lol

So at least know algebra. even though you will probably never use it at work.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just got offered a front-end Engineer job in Portland. $113,000 per, stock options, and they offered to pay for moving expenses. Got to turn it down tho, not really my type of city :wow:

Don't you love when every aspect you care about for a job needs to be perfect to say yes, and not have to say yes as soon as you get the offer?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Lol. Nah man. Honestly, moving out to Portland would be a tough move for me. My ENTIRE base is located in Atlanta and on the east coast. I'm currently involved in building a new clothing company with one of my best friends from college thats gonna pop fo'sho. That nikka designs are :ohlawd:. I'm handling everything tech-wise with the company (web, database, app, logo, etc.) and even creating some clothing designs myself :ehh:. I'm also considering building my own tech start-up real soon since I should be eating more off of my own skills (but I don't want to involve myself into too many projects neither). Plus I'm not really a job-bouncing type of person so a move would mean being gone for a hot second. But the right offer from a firm in So-Cal, New York, DC, MIA, Dallas/Houston, might have me packing tho, probably.

This is kind of my reasoning for trying to move out of Jacksonville. Theres not enough ideas flowing around here, and one of my things is to chill and kick around random ideas. I'm seeing the growth of the New York tech scene and I'm hoping I can contribute in some capacity, while getting myself a diverse group of people to kick ideas around with.

My boy started a great company down here, and luckily where in the age where you don't have to be in the city physically to work for a company. So I plan to continue to contribute, but Jacksonville aient my cup of tea, and hasn't been for 3 long yrs.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
To add. Find out the type of coder you want to be. All coders arent the same. Some fields you will need to love math( game programming for example ) you def need to know trig, some physics.etc. Im actually working on a first person shooter game now( will link you guys to my blog alittle later. on my iphone at the moment) I probably deal with more math in one function then all the code i write at work( Mobile Apps ).

I will say this though, the best coders have at least a decent understanding of math you dont need to be an expert. I hate math if its in a class room setting because i find it useless hence my grades:pachaha: But ask me to write some code to rotate an object around its y-axis or perform some matrix calculations and im all over it. lol

So at least know algebra. even though you will probably never use it at work.lol

And just to tack on to what he's saying, theres some areas where you'll need to know some discrete math. Working with data structures and common algorithms, depending on how important performance concerns are.

You'll definitely have to find out how deep into coding you want to get. You don't need to know now, cause you'll probably have a better idea after a couple jobs first.

But hey, if you have the ability to learn some of that math, that'll open some unique doors.