IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whats good brehs? This thread is the truth...helped me get my first IT gig...but now I gotta take it to the next level...I have the basic certs and a CCNA...should I keep going the Cisco track...or should I get busy with this SQL I have been hearing about...It seems like everyone who is near the govt in some way says SQL and everybody who is not says go Cisco..Neither really affects my job so I can kinda choose freely...Im in the DMV if that helps....what would you do?

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm tryna eat brehs.

Think I'm gonna get back into school was thinking of trying a technical school that's around here and take up IT. This is what they list on the site is any of this a good way to go:

http://www.ttcmemphis.edu/sites/default/files/memphis/programs/fulltime-programs/computer-information-technology/cit.pdf

With how much money schools charge for tuition it seems like a complete waste of money to me. I know dudes making 6 figures in IT that dropped out of college. If your good enough with technology a degree means almost nothing.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
What everyone else said...but only YOU know whether or not you can pick up the basics on you own or if you'll need university to jump-start you. But once you got the basics, its definitely fukk school, the rest can be self-learned.

So if you were to self learn don't you still need to be certified?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Starting to tackle Powershell, it's def gonna be the future for the Windows Console.

Powershell is :whew:

I've been eating real good since learning powershell. Makes life a million times easier. You got any questions let me know breh

FYI, I used THIS site to learn it.

How long yall nikkas working before you get these 6 figure gigs?

I hit 6 figs at about 5 or 6 years in I think. I wouldn't have it if I wasn't grinding and busting my ass though. Plus I was a contractor at that point.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
This might be a little off-topic, but what's the typical salary for a network engineer (especially for a Jr. engineer)? So far in Maryland and Virginia it seems to be around $45,000, but I was kind of expecting it to be a little bit more.

45,000 for a network engineer?? :wtf: the network engineer at my job is making 6 figures, around 110,000 after bonuses. but then again, the bay area typically pay more because of the cost of living.