IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
Brehs, after reading some of the posts on here damn near a year ago, I said to myself "fukk this, I'm about to learn some computer shyt :mjpls:" during my senior year of college.

I catch/caught on to shyt quickly. Breezed through HTML and CSS like nothing. Also taught myself the Adobe CS stuff.

Soooo.... where do I go from here? Java, PHP, JQuery right? How hard are those? Any of y'all got some resources for that?

I wanted to get this book: , but it's not out yet.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
5 and a half years...3 of those consulting.

I don't mean how many years of experience you have. I mean in a average week, how many hours are you putting into pushing your career forward (whether it is certifiactions, writing articles and research papers, going to networking events, etc.)?

If you're spending more time on the internet or playing video games than you are grinding, then you'll never find success.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
I don't mean how many years of experience you have. I mean in a average week, how many hours are you putting into pushing your career forward (whether it is certifiactions, writing articles and research papers, going to networking events, etc.)?

If you're spending more time on the internet or playing video games than you are grinding, then you'll never find success.

When I'm at work, I'm working while occasionally bs'ing on the net. But I leave all that shyt at the door once I leave the office. When I'm home, my time goes into my other hobbies.

My certs are :flabbynsick: and I'm not writing a damn thing. My philosophy is that building skills from hands on experience at great firms is going to carry my first 10 years. Since I live in NYC, I use the city to my advantage by working for a couple Fortune 500 companies and one just outside of it. I'm not at $100k but it's been working out for me so far:manny:

I'm positioning to move from administration to management in the next couple years since I found a good home here. Just curious how everybody else was :eat:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
When I'm at work, I'm working while occasionally bs'ing on the net. But I leave all that shyt at the door once I leave the office. When I'm home, my time goes into my other hobbies.

My certs are :flabbynsick: and I'm not writing a damn thing. My philosophy is that building skills from hands on experience at great firms is going to carry my first 10 years. Since I live in NYC, I use the city to my advantage by working for a couple Fortune 500 companies and one just outside of it. I'm not at $100k but it's been working out for me so far:manny:

I'm positioning to move from administration to management in the next couple years since I found a good home here. Just curious how everybody else was :eat:

The bolded is why I said you're slacking. You want to hit 6 figures plus, but you don't want it bad enough to work for it :manny:

Your #1 hobby should be getting money :birdman:

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
The bolded is why I said you're slacking. You want to hit 6 figures plus, but you don't want it bad enough to work for it :manny:

Your #1 hobby should be getting money :birdman:

A nikka got family responsibilities and in the community. I'm a firm believer in maintaining a proper work-life balance. I'm not knocking cats who bout bread 24/7, but I dig my social life. No point in having money if you can't find time to enjoy it.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
A nikka got family responsibilities and in the community. I'm a firm believer in maintaining a proper work-life balance. I'm not knocking cats who bout bread 24/7, but I dig my social life. No point in having money if you can't find time to enjoy it.

You were just asking how long it took cats, and I was giving you some info.

On a side note, what community organizations are you a aprt of? I just started getting really active in the UNIA branch in Atlanta, GA and there's a lot of work to be done. I got some good ideas though, so hopefully we can create some serious change.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
You were just asking how long it took cats, and I was giving you some info.

Yea I was curious to see the career arc. 100k for 10 years is about par for the course but for what you do, 100k in that time seems about right.
On a side note, what community organizations are you a aprt of? I just started getting really active in the UNIA branch in Atlanta, GA and there's a lot of work to be done. I got some good ideas though, so hopefully we can create some serious change.

I'm involved in youth sports and mentoring. Trying to keep these lil nikkas off the block and get them into college.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Yea I was curious to see the career arc. 100k for 10 years is about par for the course but for what you do, 100k in that time seems about right.

Don't sell yourself short breh. 100k in 10 years should be light work for us. We post on the coli :blessed:

I'm involved in youth sports and mentoring. Trying to keep these lil nikkas off the block and get them into college.

That's wassup breh. I'm gonna start teaching some classes to get black dudes into the IT game. My goal is to make IT a black industry, and take that knowledge, talent, and money and start an investment fund in Africa (potentially South Africa or Nigeria).

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1 cert away from MCSA Server 2008. Anyone here with Sharepoint exp? IT director at my job is getting mad pressure to transition our documents from dropbox to sharepoint but noone here has experience. What skills would be needed to go from "green" to knowledgeable enough to admin/implement? (no java or html exp)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Keep in mind that where you live plays into how much your salary is. 100k sounds like a lot, but NYC will rape ya pockets. about 65k-70k in a place like Houston or North/Central Florida can get you alot more for your buck. No state income tax in Florida, plus everything is cheap.

I have a question, is anyone putting in side work? I'm currently doing this Business intelligence work, but I'm trying to get better at designing and thought it'd be a good idea to do some small web dev work on the side. Not really sure where to start, cause I'm a little reluctant to get full-time work in web development, when I have a main thats popping so much.