Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
It's never explicitly stated. But he was cashing unemployment checks and it was stated that he had a decent amount of savings so it can be deduced that Issa was more than likely taking care of the lions share of the bills while he was pitching in

I don't see how you came to that conclusion at all. What woman is not going to complain about supporting a dude? She never threw it in his face and never lamented to her friends about it. Never used the notion of her supporting him as a justification for messing with Daniel either. Of all the stuff she complained about to Molly, I don't recall her ever complaining about having to support him.

The 'decent' amount in savings and unemployment checks tell me that he was comfortable financially, and continuing to contribute his portion. He is clearly in the tech industry and at a decent level because he was going through a headhunter to find a job. Dude was banking before he got laid off. I think at one point Issa explicitly lamented the fact that he was getting too complacent doing nothing because of how conformable he was and that he wouldn't ever break out of it.

Meanwhile, Issa is the low woman on the totem pole at a nonprofit. Lawrence's unemployment checks were probably larger than her 'We got you' checks :heh:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Haven't watched the finale but I see that nikkas are picking sides when there is no right and wrong. Relationship was over when Issa ain't wanna go home...now, she was wrong for going home when she knew she had unresolved feelings for her ex, but Lawrence was wrong for allowing his relationship to devolve to the point that it did.

Fact is, there's plenty of blame to go both ways. Eager to see where this goes in the season finale
exactly

But society now descends into the point where we have to choose sides despite both being wrong. Its pathetic.

nikka please
Im not even sure what you disagree with?

Last edited:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
good end to a surprisingly strong first season.

k0INswu.jpg

to Lawrence.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
In my opinion, I believe the underlying theme of this season is the varying degrees of mental issues, our insecurities, and subsequently, the reactions. It is easy for us to say that Lawrence was a degenerate who forgot her birthday and deserved to have his woman explore her options; however, we glossed over the extent of which he was suffering. Just because he was on a couch and stressing a job didn't mean that his mindstate was not severely affected by his lack of employment. Many of us know people who are taught to go to school and obtain an education only to discover that the world is not quite as cut and dry once we enter into the realities of the real world. Only when faced with what seemed as inspiration and hope from his visit to the bank teller, did he see value in himself as he slowly crawled out of that state of depression.

Issa's mental issues are different than those of Lawrence in the fact that she, like many women, have an acute desire to achieve the approval of their friends. As a man and a confident one, I could never know the feelings of what it must be like to desire acceptance. Her immaturity is forced in part due to her closeness to Molly and her avoidance of situation at home. Her reaction to the friend that sought counsel was indicative as how many of us in the community are tone deaf to the importance of mental health.

I think Season 2 will show us more about Issa's insecurities and id be willing to bet that a great amount of her insecurities will come from her folks and how she was raised. The pool scene where she and her pals slung insults reminds me of elementary school students and how when they are faced with a challenge from another student, their initial reaction is to hurl insults to feel better about themselves. The celebratory chants by the friends slinging the insults in a childish manner could draw contrast to behavior of adolescents. We saw this exact same (childish) behavior in the final scene where Lawrence purposefully one-ups Issa to hurt her feelings more than she did to him.

I could go further in depth about the other characters insecurities and mental issues but I think we as viewers conclude that our insecurities can force us to literally become head cases and tote a great deal of baggage around throughout life. Instead of seeking counsel for mental issues that nag at us, we often chalk it up to being a part of life. Adults then attempt to work through these issues as if they are part of recent events when often; they are a culmination of a series of events in life that have not been properly addressed.

The couch on the curb is also an important metaphor for the manner in which old problems (mental issues) fester. A new bouch (Daniel) will never quite fit until she is rid of the old couch that is sitting on the curb like their relationship, which should have been trashed quite some time ago.

With that said, can't wait for Season 2.

Last edited:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
What are you referring to here? How did Lawrence purposefully one-up Issa to hurt her feelings more than she did to him?
I am referring to the phone call to tell her that he missed her and that they should talk. Lawrence's body language and eye rolls in the scene show that he did not have any intentions on doing such.
It was revenge for the scene when Issa gave him false hope, specifically when she said they would work on things and then gave him the world of hurt when she ends up having sex with Daniel.

To be honest, I think when Lawrence's character, asked Daniel what is Issa to him and he answered emotionally, it let Lawrence know that the relationship was over with. Daniel was emotionally invested in Issa, which bothered Lawrence due to the fact that the highpoint of a woman's emotions are supposed to be reserved for her mate.

To a woman, her emotions are nothing more than just emotions, whereas, for a man, we see energy and passion in the emotions of a woman which in some strange way, we have an innate attraction for.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I am referring to the phone call to tell her that he missed her and that they should talk. Lawrence's body language and eye rolls in the scene show that he did not have any intentions on doing such.
It was revenge for the scene when Issa gave him false hope, specifically when she said they would work on things and then gave him the world of hurt when she ends up having sex with Daniel.

To be honest, I think when Lawrence's character, asked Daniel what is Issa to him and he answered emotionally, it let Lawrence know that the relationship was over with. Daniel was emotionally invested in Issa, which bothered Lawrence due to the fact that the highpoint of a woman's emotions are supposed to be reserved for her mate.
I have to watch the scene again but I didn't interpret it that way on my first viewing. I thought Lawrence really did miss her and was horny and emotional enough to call and talk to her. But when he got back to the crib, an empty crib, all that pain came flooding back and he decided at that moment (still very horny and emotional and angry) to move his shyt, call up old girl, and not spend another night alone.

I could have interpreted it wrong though. Only saw it once.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I have to watch the scene again but I didn't interpret it that way on my first viewing. I thought Lawrence really did miss her and was horny and emotional enough to call and talk to her. But when he got back to the crib, an empty crib, all that pain came flooding back and he decided at that moment (still very horny and emotional and angry) to move his shyt, call up old girl, and not spend another night alone.

I could have interpreted it wrong though. Only saw it once.

I watched the finale more than once because I missed quite a bit upon the first watch. What I will say is that the acting on this show is legit. The gestures and body language of the actors add a dimension of sincerity which is why many of us have connected with the characters and their experiences.

You could be right about the pain coming back, however, if you look at the calmness in his motions as he took off his jacket and went to the room to close the door. The calculated method of the bed, the nightstand and the shirt leads me to believe the move was plot before he decided to enter the apartment. The bag slung off his shoulder was used to create the illusion that he was there for the return, however it could have been his bag he tote with him after work etc and carried it with him to the club.

Daps

To a woman, her emotions are nothing more than just emotions, whereas, for a man, we see energy and passion in the emotions of a woman which in some strange way, we have an innate attraction for.

Issa confirmed that Lawrence didn't make that call with ulterior motives. I can agree that it showed adolescence in his uncertainty of his feelings, but he didn't make that call to hurt her.

Last edited: