Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
wasn't he always going to the bank where she worked to cash them unemployment checks?

she knew he was a bum, she knew he was working at best buy. and still encouraged him. And in his most time of need, she gave Lawrence what he needed.

She the real MVP :to:
Do you think she woulda supported him if he was sitting home all day, doing nothing, and forget her Bday?

This show is very complex. Issa and Lawrence had a complex relationship, which I KNOW is going over a lot of people's heads.

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
Do you think she woulda supported him if he was sitting home all day, doing nothing, and forget her Bday?

This show is very complex. Issa and Lawrence had a complex relationship, which I KNOW is going over a lot of people's heads.

it's not going over anyones head. we just all having a discussion about it. You don't have all the answers sway.

that being said. he wasn't sitting at home doing nothing. He was going on a lot of interviews. and when the cameras weren't on him we don't know what he was doing. so how can you say he was doing nothing?

and as long as they been together, so he missed on Bday. yeah it's bad but the penalty isn't that you now share your girl

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
He forgot Issa's birthday. That's wild disrespectful breh

I agree. But does all the shyt he did after that, cooking for her, getting a job at Best Buy, getting her video taken down... does none of that shyt count? Shouldn't have he "paid for his sins" by then?

They had bills to pay and rent, and she took care of that. She let this dude stay in the apartment, share a bed, etc. And he still didnt remember her BDay.

We don't know how long the phase lasted though, but they made it seem like he was collecting unemployment for a while.

I know he was depressed, but she was there with him anyway.

The other thing I wish this show explored a little deeper was how aint shyt Lawrence's friends were. Breh called his man up to talk about his depression, and dude was like "buck up, I gotta watch this game." That was really powerful to me.

I guess I'm conflating support with her being nurturing and encouraging. I also loved the aspect of his friendship. I'm so grateful to have some real ones in my life cause so many dudes have friends like that. "fukk you talking bout your feelings for?"

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
it's not going over anyones head. we just all having a discussion about it. You don't have all the answers sway.
I don't. Hence why I am not joining either of these bandwagons.

so he missed on Bday. yeah it's bad but the penalty isn't that you now share your girl
breh, he wanst working, he was wallowing in himself, he wasnt fukking her right, etc. And to top it off he forgot her Bday. Lawrence was probably suffering from depression, but there is no excuse for that.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I agree. But does all the shyt he did after that, cooking for her, getting a job at Best Buy, getting her video taken down... does none of that shyt count? Shouldn't have he "paid for his sins" by then?

IIRC, the bestbuy shyt and the broken p*ssy stuff happened after she moved back in. My point is, they should have stayed broken up. Issa was looking to move on, she just didn't have the balls to tell Lawrence.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I guess I'm conflating support with her being nurturing and encouraging.
while we don't know how long Lawrence was unemployed, we don't know that either. I know they had flashbacks, but I cannot remember them off head.

What we saw was Issa at her wits end with dude, and she basically broke up with him.

I also loved the aspect of his friendship. I'm so grateful to have some real ones in my life cause so many dudes have friends like that. "fukk you talking bout your feelings for?"
Issa and Lawrence both had friends that were not about shyt. Its hard to find real friends. That was lightly touched on, but it was good that the show did.

Issa was looking to move on, she just didn't have the balls to tell Lawrence.
exactly.

Daps
because he was. That does not give her the right to cheat, but his bum behavior lead to her almost breaking up with dude. Which is what she should have done.

Dude was a bum.

That has nothing to do with what you quoted tho. Which was in response to women being upset that he fukked another chick so quickly after breaking it off with Issa.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Them backshots
tumblr_inline_oheovrN3U41t1jl51_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oheow5lqgr1t1jl51_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oheowdQU3w1t1jl51_500.gif
tumblr_inline_oheowswrET1t1jl51_500.gif
:salute:Why I came in here in the first place

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Both of them were culpable

#IssaHive need to acknowledge she cheated, while #LawrenceHive need to realize that he wasnt shyt and she stood with him during his aint shyt period which lasted a while.
She cheated on him during that "ain't shyt" time though:francis:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
IIRC, the bestbuy shyt and the broken p*ssy stuff happened after she moved back in. My point is, they should have stayed broken up. Issa was looking to move on, she just didn't have the balls to tell Lawrence.

That's my point too. She cheated after she moved in too. So everyone excusing it "cause he was a dead beat" aren't being honest about the chain of events.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really hope they were trolling, if not, there are some really sick people out there
When women cheat IRL they're almost always blaming the man so this is par the course.

I've heard women IRL discussing this come to the conclusion of "fukk building with a man" :skip: Kinda like that dumb ass article posted in this thread earlier.

I'm just like, can somebody explain the leap of logic? It's fukk building with men because the man won't stay after you cheat on him?:francis: Building with men is where she fukked up not being vapid, lying or cheating huh?...

I'm just gonna appeal to my sense of optimism and see this as women feeling bad for Issa. (If she didn't deserve it, this situation how it played out would be hella sad) and trying to find something, anything to hold against lawrence and "men" at large that he's supposed represent. Logically they can't blame lawrence and it's obvious Issa fukked up. But that feeling manages to manifest itself some way. It reminds me of kids when they get caught red handed doing something they know they not supposed to but they still whine "it's not fair!" when being punished.

It's either that or women really are evil

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tasha told Lawrence that he had a good amount of savings left, which to me meant he had been using some in addition to the unemployment he was getting to take care of expenses.

There was nothing to suggest that he was bumming off Issa and not helping out financially.