Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The entire season was inconsistent to me. I wasn't expecting the Finale to fix it either, that's why I'm not really disappointed. It felt like they wanted to cram in a lot of key moments and milestones into 30 minutes that were missed in previous seasons.

There were multiple BDays, Kelli's baby announcement, Nathan and Issa breaking up, Molly's mom passing, Molly's wedding, Issa and Lawrence getting together and getting engaged/married...

There was a lot going on and I'd even say that a much better way of wrapping up the season would have been to focus an episode on the events mentioned opposed to having 1 episode with everything together. That would have given the story a defined timeline that made the time jumps make sense and not feel rushed.

Die hard fans on Twitter happy that Issa got a ring and that they caught it like it was an Easter Egg. How much bigger would the fan reaction be if we actually saw the proposal? I remember hearing that they weren't sure if this was the last season when they started it. It felt like that because they literally could have leveraged like 6 narratives from the finale as standalone episodes.

shyt crazy

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The entire season was inconsistent to me. I wasn't expecting the Finale to fix it either, that's why I'm not really disappointed. It felt like they wanted to cram in a lot of key moments and milestones into 30 minutes that were missed in previous seasons.

There were multiple BDays, Kelli's baby announcement, Nathan and Issa breaking up, Molly's mom passing, Molly's wedding, Issa and Lawrence getting together and getting engaged/married...

There was a lot going on and I'd even say that a much better way of wrapping up the season would have been to focus an episode on the events mentioned opposed to having 1 episode with everything together. That would have given the story a defined timeline that made the time jumps make sense and not feel rushed.

Die hard fans on Twitter happy that Issa got a ring and that they caught it like it was an Easter Egg. How much bigger would the fan reaction be if we actually saw the proposal? I remember hearing that they weren't sure if this was the last season when they started it. It felt like that because they literally could have leveraged like 6 narratives from the finale as standalone episodes.

shyt crazy

finale shoulda been a movie lol.
I feel like they didnt even realy show Molly grieve over her moms death, just the quick cry

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Finished this series. Didn't know their episodes were 30-40. I planned on weeks to finish this like I'm going to do with The Walking Dead whenever that ends. Oh well. Haven't read a review or this thread yet. But I will now. Have no idea how people rank the seasons but season 4 was clearly the best. I was laughing at that white humor like I was watching Atlanta. The episode with Vince and then Issa focused episode with that old ngga from All American was classic. Then you got more in depth of why Molly is the way she is. And not just some sista with an attitude. Very good. Molly telling her how she really felt about using her.

But season 5, what in the world? What happened to this show? All the fun was gone. You can have serious topics but you can tell this was the last season. Just that magic wasn't there. Not saying this is on the Wire level at all. But it was like Season 4 was at its height. Then Season 5 going through the motions. They should at least focused on how her and Issa reconciled.

Molly character lost all her soul. It was like she was Sampson in the Bible. Once they cut her off she lost her power. And that corny ending to the throwback to the 1st episode with the Issa lame rap. As far as Issa. This show worked best with her being a loser. I mean having her win at the end is fine but was not as enjoyable. Don't really care that she ended up with him. He's a lame and they deserve each other.

This series was straight though. Especially since the episode was short and I binge it in less then 4 days. Just glad I don't have to hear Issa rap or see they fat friend (only liked her when she pretended to be English. She did a good impression )

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps

shyt crazy

I've only seen the episode about Lawerence being a new father. Should skip straight to the last episode?

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Finale and the whole last season were wack.

One of the reasons why I fukked with the show was it wrote realistic situations, characters and responses. Personally the time jumps didn't bother me, I followed it. My girl didn't, but it was apparent they were just showing the growth while still coming together to connect on each other's birthdays.

Keeping with the theme of the show, it shouldn't have ended that way. Everything was predictable as hell. Issa could've stayed single after coming to the realization that her and Lawrence just weren't meant to be. Could've made her stronger in the end to counter the whole theme of her being an "awkward, 'insecure' black girl."

Felt like she just wanted to get the season over with so she could move on to something else.

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
It was one of the better episodes, lots of closure with most of the characters.
Can't really be mad at this finale.
:ehh: can't be mad at all. It felt really rushed trying to cram everything in that they did but it was still enjoyable to watch it all come to a close.

My biggest issue this season was Kellie being a goofball and having no growth for four seasons to growing up fast as hell in season five.

It feels like they made her an afterthought and then was like, “oh, she has to grow up too!”

They ran out of ideas the last two seasons. The season four finale and the ninth episode of this season were the only highlights for me.
Kellis story left my head scratching. I thought towards the end of the first episode when they showed how distraught she was when everyone at the alum weekend thought she died, it was a sign of them planning to really dig into her story this season. She even had a podcast it looked like towards the end of that episode.
However I don't think they ever made another reference to it at all the rest of the season.

The episode preview that showed everyone in the hospital I was certain it was because Kelli may have tried to commit that.

But throughout the rest of the season they never focused on her then all of a sudden she gets put onto the law firm and she gets pregnant. Kinda weird how that all played out :yeshrug: