Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Kelly could’ve started dating this guy after her “death”, molly and Taurean could’ve been dating from episode one so we could see their relationship develop, like others have said, Lawrence and Issa could’ve either just stayed together or got back together earlier, the Nate detour and playing house with condola were unnecessary, this has nothing to do with length of episodes or attention spans, it’s about pacing storylines throughout a whole season

ok i get the Kelly part, i feel like they picked and chose when to pick up her storyline, but she was a secondary character, i guess they wanted to show she was moving in a new direction in her life and then decided to get back with her old thang

if you saw molly and buddy date would you honestly be more fulfilled, I’m cool with it, i think in my opinion that they showed how quick a spark can be with a new person and then boom you in a full blown relationship

i agree with the Nathan and condola thing, it’s like once again Issa keeping nikkas in a holding pattern while she figures shyt out but like the quote up under this, they should have forced Issa to boss up, and condola served no purpose, they could have made her on and off again, her having Lawrence baby just made it complicated with no direction, cuz now he look like an a$$hole playing house with her then leaves her again for Issa

now i would have loved for them to explore Amanda seals character some more, it seemed like she had it all but was miserable, also the Denver move seems so unnecessary if they weren’t going to flush that out, I’ll give you that much

see i was in agreement until the last part, yes you can have a complex relationship, and not end up with them, but the theme to me was life doesn’t always play out in black and white, and you make the best decisions for you at that time

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I liked the ending with the broken p*ssy call back. End of an era :mjcry:

Word, that definitely struck a chord with me because the whole “broken p*ssy” part of episode 1, season 1 is really what made me a fan of this show. I’m not mad at the finale. They both deserved to give it a real try despite the baggage and circumstances.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
ok i get the Kelly part, i feel like they picked and chose when to pick up her storyline, but she was a secondary character, i guess they wanted to show she was moving in a new direction in her life and then decided to get back with her old thang

if you saw molly and buddy date would you honestly be more fulfilled, I’m cool with it, i think in my opinion that they showed how quick a spark can be with a new person and then boom you in a full blown relationship

i agree with the Nathan and condola thing, it’s like once again Issa keeping nikkas in a holding pattern while she figures shyt out but like the quote up under this, they should have forced Issa to boss up, and condola served no purpose, they could have made her on and off again, her having Lawrence baby just made it complicated with no direction, cuz now he look like an a$$hole playing house with her then leaves her again for Issa

now i would have loved for them to explore Amanda seals character some more, it seemed like she had it all but was miserable, also the Denver move seems so unnecessary if they weren’t going to flush that out, I’ll give you that much

see i was in agreement until the last part, yes you can have a complex relationship, and not end up with them, but the theme to me was life doesn’t always play out in black and white, and you make the best decisions for you at that time
meh, she had a chance to move on from someone and a situation that went foul. All this season preaches is the idea of "the one that got away" in regards to relationships as if there is ONLY 1 person meant for you out there when you can very well find anyone so long as you're WILLING to accept them and not hold on to your past. Life might not go as planned but not everyone needs to settle. She made it seem as if black women have to take a compromise for love instead of achieving what they feel they deserve and that black men should forget trying to make things work with a bm situation that could very well be fruitful. They both self-sabotaged each other so that they could be together imo

Nathan and Issa were dope
Condola and Lawrence became dope

in the end they chose to fukk up their situations so they could reuinite :yeshrug:

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Issa and Lawerence at are their best when they’re together. They get each other. They both fukked around with a bunch of people but nothing filled the void of them not being together. They always find themselves coming back together. The difference is that Issa knows what she wants now. They both needed to succeed solo and go through mad people to realize that the other is what was missing.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
i actually agree with this sentiment

molly did a lot of growing in this show and at the beginning of all this was their friendship. Whoever nikka they end up with is whatever but what matters is they stuck together and i kinda realize now with the final moment of this show

Issa got us all debating and talking so i think she got what she wanted with this finale lmao:russ:

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
I thought the point of the season and basically the series was Issa continuing to allow her insecurities to cast doubt on her decisions and always choose the safe bet rather then take the risk.

This was the point of her sort of selling herself short with with the fashion show trying to please the sponsors rather then take the risk with angel (I think that was his name) and come to find out the sponsors loved his rough exterior. Which was the same thing she did with the Lawrence situation. Being with Lawrence was the risk because of the new baby. Wasn't like he cheated on her and got the baby Issa simply allowed her insecurities to convince her she couldn't handle a baby mama and a child when in the end she actually could. Last season Lawrence had to overcome his insecurities to reunite with Issa considering how Issa got with Daniel.

Seems some people stick want the Hollywood endings and I respected the attempt at authentic to life situations. Who we end up with sometimes isn't as simple as the course of meet each other, love at first sight , move in, get married have a child. Hell most of us don't successfully accomplish that path that tv demonstrated was the "right way". I know I didn't.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I haven’t checked out Love Life yet but I’ve heard good things

Just watch season 2. It’s some of the best black tv I’ve seen in awhile. I won’t say it’s better than peak Insecure but it’s at worst tied with it. Hard to compare one season to an entire series tho. But check it out. Very good and authentic black romance writing.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
this shyt was a wack ending...i'm sorry but in retrospect, these are the storylines that should have been building throughout the season instead of so much of the filler. the time jumps felt cheap, it robbed these storylines of impact (molly's mom dying...yea, some of yall are gonna bring up the episode dedicated to her in the hospital, but it's because of that that it shouldn't have been a 2 min plot point in a bloated finale) and overall just made it feel like a rush job to create beautiful neat endings. i'm fine with neat endings, but they should've spent more time building to them as opposed to throwing like half of them into a finale.

overall a B+ series to me - i like this show but never had quite the attachment to it as most others - but the final season, now that's it's complete, definitely left more to be desired.

This is exactly how I feel. The whole season was filler. They made two interesting writing decisions at the beginning of the season… 1) To time jump through Issa and Molly’s fall out. 2) To break Issa and Lawrence back up. #2 is really perplexing given the ending. Them getting back together at the end of last season felt earned. Them being together at the end of this season felt like a rush job for a happy ending.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Guess we’ll see how Rap shyt goes. Love Life S2 was great but that’s an anthology. Insecure definitely set a new high-bar for black television. That cinematography and soundtrack composition was in a league of its own.
Raphael Saadiq killed every episode. He made sure every scene had its own sound.

FlyBoy718

All Star
Daps
Reppin
BK
this shyt was a wack ending...i'm sorry but in retrospect, these are the storylines that should have been building throughout the season instead of so much of the filler. the time jumps felt cheap, it robbed these storylines of impact (molly's mom dying...yea, some of yall are gonna bring up the episode dedicated to her in the hospital, but it's because of that that it shouldn't have been a 2 min plot point in a bloated finale) and overall just made it feel like a rush job to create beautiful neat endings. i'm fine with neat endings, but they should've spent more time building to them as opposed to throwing like half of them into a finale.

overall a B+ series to me - i like this show but never had quite the attachment to it as most others - but the final season, now that's it's complete, definitely left more to be desired.

See. It’s all subtle details that makes this finale so good in my book. The only ex was stupid Nathan & he was quickly shown the door after tryin to plead his case. Once issa became confident she no longer had to second guess a thing and just let life happen.
42464ba1d628814a060ca79c1e9087c6_w200.gif

Let me go watch this documentary
Huh:dahell: I'm not sure how these takes align. Nevertheless I thought they ended the show brilliantly. Sure you could nitpick certain aspects but overall I found the ending to be satisfying. Really enjoyed seeing interaction amongst the females just like fellas kick it i.e "Birthday dikk" scene. That Issa-Lawrence-Canola dynamic will only become messier once Lawrence and Issa decide to start their own family but I'm happy they're giving it a honest shot.