Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
Your first paragraph really ignores what happened in season 1. Issa held his head when he was down. What did Lawrence do right after getting back on his feet? He took her ring shopping. What did Issa do as Lawrence started to level up? She cheated on him. I feel like all the Lawrence haters love to overlook that he tried to do right by her the minute he got on.

That's why I'm saying, there's no way he would be stuck on her at this point. He likely moves on and gets married while she's salty. It just doesn't make sense where he's ended up at.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Lawrence was way past her level at that point after she cheated on him and dumped him. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying that any man with their shyt together like Lawrence is going back to Issa. She's really not a good catch as shown on this show.

Yes it is prevalent to see people reconnect with past flings but I've seen more of the case of a woman dating a man for potential and the man leveling up and never dealing her again. That's more realistic to me.

I guess we have to agree to disagree but I'm not buying how they wrote Lawrence's character.
sounds like coli :duck:

but whatever...he loves her, they were in a good place before the pregnancy news, it's literally why she walked away, she couldn't handle him having a kid with someone else (we've seen a variation of this on 15 yrs ago on The Game)...i don't know many people who wouldn't still want their S/O or fight to get back together when the only thing that broke them up was something that happened when they weren't together

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
sounds like coli :duck:

but whatever...he loves her, they were in a good place before the pregnancy news, it's literally why she walked away, she couldn't handle him having a kid with someone else (we've seen a variation of this on 15 yrs ago on The Game)...i don't know many people who wouldn't still want their S/O or fight to get back together when the only thing that broke them up was something that happened when they weren't together

No Coli Ducktales

Girl I went to school with at Penn. Ivy League graduate with her masters, held this dude down.....dude wasn't paying rent, didn't have a stable gig....nothing. Dude cheats on her levels up and leaves her single. I've seen it happen too many times. There's so many professional women dating guys for potential hoping to be around when they level up only for them to choose someone else when they make it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
No Coli Ducktales

Girl I went to school with at Penn. Ivy League graduate with her masters, held this dude down.....dude wasn't paying rent, didn't have a stable gig....nothing. Dude cheats on her levels up and leaves her single. I've seen it happen too many times. There's so many professional women dating guys for potential hoping to be around when they level up only for them to choose someone else when they make it.
Ok

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is pretty accurate. People keep overlooking that Lawrence and Issa both worked and didn't work because they were effectively mirrors of each other. They both needed someone to occasionally tell them that what they think or want is right. The differences are that Lawrence has moved beyond needing that validation in his professional life, and occasionally needs it in is personal life. He mostly got to that conclusion off screen, while Issa has made most of that play out on screen.

But as someone who has been in a similar situation with trying to work it out with an ex (didn't get cheated on, only got bushed once instead of twice), I get where his train of thought came from, though. When it's clear that you two might've just met each other at the wrong time, and you start seeing yourself succeed in the fashion you want in almost every else, you can't help but think that you can fix one of your previous losses. He just went about it all wrong because he was stuck in his own thoughts, and had that exchange with Nathan in his head, too.
Extrapolate that tho. Say you got cheated on and then bushed even if it was a for a legitimate reason. Would you still be pressed over her after ALL of that shyt? If you and I wrote the opposite tv show would people not question why Issa wouldn’t just move on and focus on raising her child instead of uncharacteristically trying to get back to a man who doesn’t know what he wants and is stringing along another woman while he figures it out?
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone sometimes with how this show is critiqued.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I won't go that far, I just think it's a clear sign of them disconnected from knowing any heterosexual black men. If Issa and friends were all infallible and Lawerence was how he was then I would say yes this is an attack, but everyone on this show has huge flaws which shows they are human, but with Lawrence there is a point where his actions aren't grounded in reality and seem to just want to push forward plot points.

Bingo.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Extrapolate that tho. Say you got cheated on and then bushed even if it was a for a legitimate reason. Would you still be pressed over her after ALL of that shyt? If you and I wrote the opposite tv show would people not question why Issa wouldn’t just move on and focus on raising her child instead of uncharacteristically trying to get back to a man who doesn’t know what he wants and is stringing along another woman while he figures it out?
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone sometimes with how this show is critiqued.

Honestly, it's hard to say. My go to answer would be no, because my pride probably wouldn't let me just eat that. But the only thing that'll fukk with you worse than pride is love, and people break all types of rules they set for themselves over someone they love. Realistically speaking, it would come down to what happened. If it were a case where I was giving her all she asked for, and she just stepped out because she was bored? I'm back on these streets, and ol' girl is getting demoted to a jumpoff at the best. But in a case where we both failed each other, it's a little tougher to say, since it would depend on how the two of us would approach any potential reconciliation. In my real life instance, we both spent some time apart, stayed cool with each other, and found out way back to each other after we both had time to grow up and recognize our faults in the relationship. Issa and Lawrence are at that part, but with the added storyline hurdle of there being another guy there to mirror her choice between working with Crenshawn or NBW. Like, even down to Candola being a common factor between her and NBW.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
This episode show's why men shouldn't take advice from other men :yeshrug:

Lawerence allowed venom to be spit in his ear and made a fool of himself over an idea placed in his head after the fact.

Lawrence let Chad hype him up and went out sad :francis:

Chad is a bytch ass nikka. He set Lawrence up for that. You never suppose to do that to your man. Especially after a bytch left him.

Hold on lol Chad spoke facts. If Lawrence wanted Issa, he should have fought to keep her around. He didn't, and she moved on. The problem is Lawrence's execution after Chad gave him some real talk.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Honestly, it's hard to say. My go to answer would be no, because my pride probably wouldn't let me just eat that. But the only thing that'll fukk with you worse than pride is love, and people break all types of rules they set for themselves over someone they love. Realistically speaking, it would come down to what happened. If it were a case where I was giving her all she asked for, and she just stepped out because she was bored? I'm back on these streets, and ol' girl is getting demoted to a jumpoff at the best. But in a case where we both failed each other, it's a little tougher to say, since it would depend on how the two of us would approach any potential reconciliation. In my real life instance, we both spent some time apart, stayed cool with each other, and found out way back to each other after we both had time to grow up and recognize our faults in the relationship. Issa and Lawrence are at that part, but with the added storyline hurdle of there being another guy there to mirror her choice between working with Crenshawn or NBW. Like, even down to Candola being a common factor between her and NBW.

Right. Everything you described is consistent with Issa and Lawrence getting back together in season 4. It was earned. We watched both of them grow between season 1 to then. This doesn’t. It’s a betrayal to Lawrence’s character arc. It makes way more sense for Issa to be the one to reach out to Lawrence in this scenario. “Lawrence never fought for Issa” was a horseshyt thing to say to a guy who the moment his girl told him he wasn’t happy, he got his shyt together and bough her a ring. This is lazy writing period. Issa is literally the one who never fought for their relationship. (As far as we’ve seen)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right. Everything you described is consistent with Issa and Lawrence getting back together in season 4. It was earned. We watched both of them grow between season 1 to then. This doesn’t. It’s a betrayal to Lawrence’s character arc. It makes way more sense for Issa to be the one to reach out to Lawrence in this scenario. “Lawrence never fought for Issa” was a horseshyt thing to say to a guy who the moment his girl told him he wasn’t happy, he got his shyt together and bough her a ring. This is lazy writing period. Issa is literally the one who never fought for their relationship. (As far as we’ve seen)

I think you're focusing on their first go 'round too much.

Breh, when she broke up with him the second time, she couldn't even finish the sentence to say she was breaking up with him, and he just took the L. There are a bunch of different ways that could've gone had he pushed to keep the relationship going, but he was just as overwhelmed with his situation as she was. THAT'S the source of the issue for him.