Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
This season is very lite on the laughs. The “we took edibles” gag was straight out of a nbc sitcom.

This might really be the worst season of the show. Good thing its ending, if it were any other show it would go on until season 8 being this bad
bruh, i'm telling you...the writers this season gotta be from some silly comedy sitcom with a laugh track.

aside from the random Lawrence blowup, you trying to tell me that Taurean's strict ass, down the middle partner at a lawfirm personality...brings gummy edibles to share at a party with people he doesn't even know?

as soon as i saw that i was like, "ok, i guess Molly and Taurean are going to be the comic relief this episode to break the whole love triangle tension".

then they had sex for the first time in a pantry, didn't get caught and walk outside to stop a fight right after??

fukk goin on out here?!?! :bryan:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I don’t get why Lawrence is stuck on Issa. He got options. We’ve literally seen him exercising those options.

Also, 1) how successful is that barbershop? I find it hard to believe Nathan can comfortably afford to go in w/ her on the new spot while he’s still using a milk crate for a night stand.

2) How long is Issa going to be ok w/ paying most of the bills. Women be getting salty over paying 1/2, no matter what the income disparity is.
it's called love. options /= love

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
bruh, i'm telling you...the writers this season gotta be from some silly comedy sitcom with a laugh track.

aside from the random Lawrence blowup, you trying to tell me that Taurean's strict ass, down the middle partner at a lawfirm personality...brings gummy edibles to share at a party with people he doesn't even know?

as soon as i saw that i was "ok, i guess Molly and Taurean are going to be the comic relief this episode to break the whole love triangle tension".

then they had sex for the first time in a pantry, didn't get caught and walk outside to stop a fight right after??

fukk goin on out here?!?1 :bryan:

bringing edibles is a great way to get to know people

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Lawrence let Chad hype him up and went out sad :francis:
After sleeping on it, it’s kind of wack. If the roles were reversed we’d kill the writers for making Issa so stuck on stupid. Lawrence fighting this hard for a woman who never really fought for him is kinda crazy. She cheated they got back together then she dumped him unceremoniously… it’s done. This isn’t some true love narrative.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Nah don't put this on Chad. He kept it a thousand to Lawrence. Lawrence BEEN having fucckboy tendencies since season 2, maybe even implied in season 1 when Issa was tired of him and him just go with the flow not seeing the signs that Issa was visibly showing. In the end of the 1st episode of this season when Issa broke it off, he DID just accept it as it is. Now he's feeling some kind of way because Issa there? That's on LAWRENCE for letting her go. Chad just simply told the TRUTH. But Lawrence being a fucckboy decided to take THAT MOMENT to suddenly express his feelings. He brought Condola and the baby to the people when he didn't had to CLEARLY to front. Then want to be petty at Nathan knowing that's her man instead of kept it playa and accept she's now with someone else. You saw the contrast of how Lawrence handled himself with Nathan versus how Issa and Condola handled themselves, they were respectful that could of went petty due to the Issa fantasy from before. Lawrence acted like a bytch. That's not Chad fault. Lawrence did this on his own.
Which is bad writing imo. All the growth and introspection Lawrence did this season was just in 1 super specific aspect of his life? :stopitslime:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
bringing edibles is a great way to get to know people
That’s definitely a conversation he would’ve had with Molly before going considering it’s her friends and he doesn’t know what kind of party it would be. I agree it can be a great way but not with any random group of people.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
That’s definitely a conversation he would’ve had with Molly before going considering it’s her friends and he doesn’t know what kind of party it would be. I agree it can be a great way but not with any random group of people.
Who is going to turn down edibles at a going away party?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
After sleeping on it, it’s kind of wack. If the roles were reversed we’d kill the writers for making Issa so stuck on stupid. Lawrence fighting this hard for a woman who never really fought for him is kinda crazy. She cheated they got back together then she dumped him unceremoniously… it’s done. This isn’t some true love narrative.
It’s that cliche shyt of men needing to caters to women’s moods and us as men need to know what comes with the territory and fight through it.

Considering the history of their relationship if I'm Lawrence she would be a distant memory. She cheated on him due to being unhappy in the relationship and not communicating it to him. Then they finally get back together and she basically dumps him while still not communicating to him why. Why the fukk would he go back to her considering she still hasn't displayed growth in regards to being able to openly communicate her issues with the relationship and instead just runs off.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Who is going to turn down edibles at a going away party?
I wouldn't but there are a lot of tight assed people out there who look down on that kind of stuff. Especially if that's his first time meeting everybody and he pops out some edibles. I know cause I've been that person that's brought the edibles to a party and got the sideways looks lol. I'm speaking from experience.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It’s that cliche shyt of men needing to caters to women’s moods and us as men need to know what comes with the territory and fight through it.

Considering the history of their relationship if I'm Lawrence she would be a distant memory. She cheated on him due to being unhappy in the relationship and not communicating it to him. Then they finally get back together and she basically dumps him while still not communicating to him why. Why the fukk would he go back to her considering she still hasn't displayed growth in regards to being able to openly communicate her issues with the relationship and instead just runs off.
It’s just as ridiculous as if Molly threw everything her character earned through development over Dro by doing something stupid at the party. Everybody would be justifiably annoyed had the writers done that.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It just made no sense. How does Lawrence go from growing up and accepting that Issa fukked up in season 4 to this whiny bytch in this episode?

That's not human or character progression. That's human instability and poor character development.

this show is clearly written by folks disconnected from men + folks trying to pander to women lmfao

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Ya’ll nikkas in here blaming shyt on Chad are exposing yourselves as weak-minded and unable to take personal responsibility for your OWN actions.

1). You can’t place something into a MAN’s mind that wasn’t there before. Chad has always kept it 100 with Lawrence, he’s been Lawrence’s best friend and support system since the series started. He told Lawrence EXACTLY what Lawrence himself was unable to come to grips with. That he loved Issa and wasn’t content with how things ended. This has been telegraphed since LAST season’s finale. He wants Issa.

2). Chad never said Lawrence SHOULD fight for Issa. He merely pointed out that he did NOT. Lawrence has been very passive for most of the series, and has just now started growing past it. I’m sure there’s emotional trauma with his character towards Issa because the last time he “manned up” for her she cheated on him. But sometimes its better to swing and miss than to never swing at all, because if Issa would have told him she was 100% happy with Nathan, at the very least Lawrence would have had closure. And closure is one of the best things to have when you need to heal.

3). Lawrence did exactly what he was supposed to do, he just did it rashly and at the WRONG time. He should have called Issa after the party and pushed for a face to face meeting so they could have it out, and whatever comes of it would have been it.

Overall this was a great episode. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Taurean and Molly were hilarious. Nathan knew what was up from jump and handled it as well as could be expected.

I’m still expecting Issa to choose Lawrence in the end, but I will say that Lawrence being so rash and not handling it in a more mature manner in an environment in which suited his purposes better doesn’t bode well. Usually, and especially given its the final season, you want to see a HUGE growth in both characters where it makes sense to see them ultimately come together. Last season when Lawrence and Issa had dinner and really talked it out and both of them admitted to their mistakes and came to the mutual understanding that they were what was best for each other, THAT was worthy of them being together. An emotionally charged and highly ill advised setting for a conversation about the status of a year long dormant relationship isn’t worthy of a reunion. So we’ll have to see what happens.