Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Ya’ll nikkas in here blaming shyt on Chad are exposing yourselves as weak-minded and unable to take personal responsibility for your OWN actions.

1). You can’t place something into a MAN’s mind that wasn’t there before. Chad has always kept it 100 with Lawrence, he’s been Lawrence’s best friend and support system since the series started. He told Lawrence EXACTLY what Lawrence himself was unable to come to grips with. That he loved Issa and wasn’t content with how things ended. This has been telegraphed since LAST season’s finale. He wants Issa.

2). Chad never said Lawrence SHOULD fight for Issa. He merely pointed out that he did NOT. Lawrence has been very passive for most of the series, and has just now started growing past it. I’m sure there’s emotional trauma with his character towards Issa because the last time he “manned up” for her she cheated on him. But sometimes its better to swing and miss than to never swing at all, because if Issa would have told him she was 100% happy with Nathan, at the very least Lawrence would have had closure. And closure is one of the best things to have when you need to heal.

3). Lawrence did exactly what he was supposed to do, he just did it rashly and at the WRONG time. He should have called Issa after the party and pushed for a face to face meeting so they could have it out, and whatever comes of it would have been it.

Overall this was a great episode. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Taurean and Molly were hilarious. Nathan knew what was up from jump and handled it as well as could be expected.

I’m still expecting Issa to choose Lawrence in the end, but I will say that Lawrence being so rash and not handling it in a more mature manner in an environment in which suited his purposes better doesn’t bode well. Usually, and especially given its the final season, you want to see a HUGE growth in both characters where it makes sense to see them ultimately come together. Last season when Lawrence and Issa had dinner and really talked it out and both of them admitted to their mistakes and came to the mutual understanding that they were what was best for each other, THAT was worthy of them being together. An emotionally charged and highly ill advised setting for a conversation about the status of a year long dormant relationship isn’t worthy of a reunion. So we’ll have to see what happens.

I'm about to watch the episode, but I think many of our issues is that the show isn't really consistent with Lawrence as a human, but more so just writing [for that moment] him to shoehorn a plot point for the moment.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I despise Lawrence & his entire character arc. It felt like he had the world in the palm of his hands going from struggling to a corporate gig only to end up as a messy baby father who's stuck on his ex. So smart but so stupid. Also we've all seen this play before but in real life Lawrence likely moves on after Issa threw him in the bushes, becomes successful, messes around for a while & then finally finds a decent woman who benefits after Issa put up with him struggling for years on end. Lawrence's character arc is so unbelievable that it kinda ruined show for me. I dunno if Issa didn't want to make herself lose or this is a subtle attack on black men but someone like Lawrence is likely happily married while she's salty looking at his flicks on IG.

I'm just not buying him being stuck on Issa based on what we've seen from Lawrence's character. He had leveled up. He also basically dumped Tasha for being too down to earth/regular......dude was going to be feeling himself and would have found a light skinned woman with curly hair and would have gotten married, had kids and lived happily ever after. Instead Issa turned dude into a messy baby father. Weird.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I despise Lawrence & his entire character arc. It felt like he had the world in the palm of his hands going from struggling to a corporate gig only to end up as a messy baby father who's stuck on his ex. So smart but so stupid. Also we've all seen this play before but in real life Lawrence likely moves on after Issa threw him in the bushes, becomes successful, messes around for a while & then finally finds a decent woman who benefits after Issa put up with him struggling for years on end. Lawrence's character arc is so unbelievable that it kinda ruined show for me. I dunno if Issa didn't want to make herself lose or this is a subtle attack on black men but someone like Lawrence is likely happily married while she's salty looking at his flicks on IG.

I'm just not buying him being stuck on Issa based on what we've seen from Lawrence's character. He had leveled up. He also basically dumped Tasha for being too down to earth/regular......dude was going to be feeling himself and would have found a light skinned woman with curly hair and would have gotten married, had kids and lived happily ever after. Instead Issa turned dude into a messy baby father. Weird.

notice only folks who dont see the odd ness or women or folks who dont want to criticize Issa for whatever reason they think = "pro black" or whatever the hell.

Lawerence character makes zero sense with how he is written. The most logical way to have written him was to write him out after moving on and getting the good job, or doing a parallel story line that has nothing to do with Issa.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

The whole energy of your post is strange…and this is the ultimate prize huh? :rolleyes:

nothing unbelievable about his arch other than some overly emotional moments. People cheat and get back together, lack of closure or a relationship ending when you’re not actually done with it keep people in a cycle with their ex until it either works or is completely done, he and condola were actually good together until she pumped the breaks on him as some post divorce experimental half relationship - in the meantime she got pregnant, that’s not Lawrence’s fault she fukked up the relationship and also wanted to keep the baby, he’s doing what he should do - be there for the kid. Babies like this happen all the time, even with “high achieving” folk - one of my good friends that’s he situation entirely, relationship fell apart as she learned she was pregnant

Last edited:

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
notice only folks who dont see the odd ness or women or folks who dont want to criticize Issa for whatever reason they think = "pro black" or whatever the hell.

Lawerence character makes zero sense with how he is written. The most logical way to have written him was to write him out after moving on and getting the good job, or doing a parallel story line that has nothing to do with Issa.

I hate to be this guy but I feel like they ruined Lawrence's character as an attack on black men. Lawrence was a college educated man who struggled to find himself career wise in his 20s while in a relationship with a woman who dated him for his potential. We all know a "Lawrence". I might have been a "Lawrence" outside of the fact that I never really did serious relationships until recently.
He was relatable for just about any upwardly mobile black man who just haven't figured it out and they managed to turn his character into someone who fits so many negative black male stereotypes. It's just trash writing and requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ya’ll nikkas in here blaming shyt on Chad are exposing yourselves as weak-minded and unable to take personal responsibility for your OWN actions.

1). You can’t place something into a MAN’s mind that wasn’t there before. Chad has always kept it 100 with Lawrence, he’s been Lawrence’s best friend and support system since the series started. He told Lawrence EXACTLY what Lawrence himself was unable to come to grips with. That he loved Issa and wasn’t content with how things ended. This has been telegraphed since LAST season’s finale. He wants Issa.

2). Chad never said Lawrence SHOULD fight for Issa. He merely pointed out that he did NOT. Lawrence has been very passive for most of the series, and has just now started growing past it. I’m sure there’s emotional trauma with his character towards Issa because the last time he “manned up” for her she cheated on him. But sometimes its better to swing and miss than to never swing at all, because if Issa would have told him she was 100% happy with Nathan, at the very least Lawrence would have had closure. And closure is one of the best things to have when you need to heal.

3). Lawrence did exactly what he was supposed to do, he just did it rashly and at the WRONG time. He should have called Issa after the party and pushed for a face to face meeting so they could have it out, and whatever comes of it would have been it.

Overall this was a great episode. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Taurean and Molly were hilarious. Nathan knew what was up from jump and handled it as well as could be expected.

I’m still expecting Issa to choose Lawrence in the end, but I will say that Lawrence being so rash and not handling it in a more mature manner in an environment in which suited his purposes better doesn’t bode well. Usually, and especially given its the final season, you want to see a HUGE growth in both characters where it makes sense to see them ultimately come together. Last season when Lawrence and Issa had dinner and really talked it out and both of them admitted to their mistakes and came to the mutual understanding that they were what was best for each other, THAT was worthy of them being together. An emotionally charged and highly ill advised setting for a conversation about the status of a year long dormant relationship isn’t worthy of a reunion. So we’ll have to see what happens.

This is pretty accurate. People keep overlooking that Lawrence and Issa both worked and didn't work because they were effectively mirrors of each other. They both needed someone to occasionally tell them that what they think or want is right. The differences are that Lawrence has moved beyond needing that validation in his professional life, and occasionally needs it in is personal life. He mostly got to that conclusion off screen, while Issa has made most of that play out on screen.

But as someone who has been in a similar situation with trying to work it out with an ex (didn't get cheated on, only got bushed once instead of twice), I get where his train of thought came from, though. When it's clear that you two might've just met each other at the wrong time, and you start seeing yourself succeed in the fashion you want in almost every else, you can't help but think that you can fix one of your previous losses. He just went about it all wrong because he was stuck in his own thoughts, and had that exchange with Nathan in his head, too.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
The whole energy of your post is strange…and this is the sultanate prize huh? :rolleyes:

nothing unbelievable about his arch other than some overly emotional moments. People cheat and get back together, lack of closure or a relationship ending when you’re not actually done with it keep people in a cycle with their ex until it either works or is completely done, he and condola were actually good together until she pumped the breaks on him as some post divorce experimental half relationship - in the meantime she got pregnant, that’s not Lawrence’s fault she fukked up the relationship and also wanted to keep the baby, he’s doing what he should do - be there for the kid. Babies like this happen all the time, even with “high achieving” folk - one of my good friends that’s he situation entirely, relationship fell apart as she learned she was pregnant

Not really the prize, I'm saying that because I've seen it too many times. It's reality for many people. Lawrence is in LA where many black guys don't date black women. I've had many black women tell me this. Also many times, guys who leave women who supported them while they were down often date a woman who is completely opposite in looks to the woman they dated previously to the point where their previous women questions what they saw in them.

Look at Kanye West's fiancé before he made it

bda6f6bd-3775-4457-adf9-38083d54cf28_1.6fffa58bf5dcd320db6d1c918f6e3ed2.jpeg

Kanye West and Amber Rose

05-Amber-Rose-Kanye-West-Dating-History-Through-the-Years.jpg

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian

GettyImages-1206519224.jpg

Also it is unbelievable given how she cheated on him and he leveled up. Honestly they should have written Lawrence off the show and he should have gotten married. That's more realistic than this.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I hate to be this guy but I feel like they ruined Lawrence's character as an attack on black men. Lawrence was a college educated man who struggled to find himself career wise in his 20s while in a relationship with a woman who dated him for his potential. We all know a "Lawrence". I might have been a "Lawrence" outside of the fact that I never really did serious relationships until recently.
He was relatable for just about any upwardly mobile black man who just haven't figured it out and they managed to turn his character into someone who fits so many negative black male stereotypes. It's just trash writing and requires too much suspension of disbelief for me.

I won't go that far, I just think it's a clear sign of them disconnected from knowing any heterosexual black men. If Issa and friends were all infallible and Lawerence was how he was then I would say yes this is an attack, but everyone on this show has huge flaws which shows they are human, but with Lawrence there is a point where his actions aren't grounded in reality and seem to just want to push forward plot points.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I won't go that far, I just think it's a clear sign of them disconnected from knowing any heterosexual black men. If Issa and friends were all infallible and Lawerence was how he was then I would say yes this is an attack, but everyone on this show has huge flaws which shows they are human, but with Lawrence there is a point where his actions aren't grounded in reality and seem to just want to push forward plot points.

That's fair

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Not really the prize, I'm saying that because I've seen it too many times. It's reality for many people. Lawrence is in LA where many black guys don't date black women. I've had many black women tell me this. Also many times, guys who leave women who supported them while they were down often date a woman who is completely opposite in looks to the woman they dated previously to the point where their previous women question what they saw in them.

Look at Kanye West's fiancé before he made it

Kanye West and Amber Rose

Kanye West and Kim Kardashian

Also it is unbelievable given how she cheated on him and he leveled up. Honestly they should have written Lawrence off the show and he should have gotten married. That's more realistic than this.
we've seen lawrence be all over the map in terms of chicks he dated, him -> light skin curly hair has absolutly nothing to do with the show

and this is absolutely realistic, the double/triple back to an old flame or linking up with someone from the past after a LTR or marriage ends is very much the reality, especially for more educated/professional black folk where the pool of mates is smaller. this is one of the most prevalent relationship situations i see amongst my peer group - a lot of people who reconnected with an ex/past fling in their 30's or have had 2-3 iterations of a relationship with a person.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
So I binged about 15 episodes in the last 7 days and I'm all caught up for the finale. Agree with most that this has been a lackluster season; it just feels like they know the ending but they had to make up some flimsy subplots to get us there. The Condola baby plot and Molly's workplace romance are both subplots that belonged to Season 1 or 2 versions of Lawrence and Molly, but not now.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
we've seen lawrence be all over the map in terms of chicks he dated, him -> light skin curly hair has absolutly nothing to do with the show

and this is absolutely realistic, the double/triple back to an old flame or linking up with someone from the past after a LTR or marriage ends is very much the reality, especially for more educated/professional black folk where the pool of mates is smaller. this is one of the most prevalent relationship situations i see amongst my peer group - a lot of people who reconnected up with an ex/past fling in their 30's or have had 2-3 iterations of a relationship with a person.

Lawrence was way past her level at that point after she cheated on him and dumped him. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying that any man with their shyt together like Lawrence is going back to Issa. She's really not a good catch as shown on this show.

Yes it is prevalent to see people reconnect with past flings but I've seen more of the case of a woman dating a man for potential and the man leveling up and never dealing with her again. That's more realistic to me.

I guess we have to agree to disagree but I'm not buying how they wrote Lawrence's character.

Last edited:
Daps

Your first paragraph really ignores what happened in season 1. Issa held his head when he was down. What did Lawrence do right after getting back on his feet? He took her ring shopping. What did Issa do as Lawrence started to level up? She cheated on him. I feel like all the Lawrence haters love to overlook that he tried to do right by her the minute he got on.