Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
I just thought the game element made it feel forced and unnecessary. The could have just had them all having a conversation with wine, would have accomplished the same thing IMO. I get what they went for in terms of just showing people getting older and "chillin" tho.

I was watching the episode like 30 year olds really playing the pull random questions out of a hat games in 2021
:unimpressed:

If they were doing like a vision board night (have they done this on the show before? I don't remember) it would have made more sense for me as a viewer.
Lol you tripping

30+ still play those games. shyt makes it even better. The amount of fukkery that was displayed this thanksgiving was hilarious:mjlol:…. Especially when the drinks set in.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why they keep doing Lawrence like this :mjcry: Low was having a great episode and they fukked it up at the goal line

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I forgot where I read it from but it mentioned how Issa and the crew wrote this season as if it would have a sixth season in place, so the finale may be open ended and we may have questions left unanswered. Seems to be right up the alley as to what you just mentioned.

Aw naw HBO boutta have everybody mad again :bryan::bryan::bryan:

:mjcry:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I forgot where I read it from but it mentioned how Issa and the crew wrote this season as if it would have a sixth season in place, so the finale may be open ended and we may have questions left unanswered. Seems to be right up the alley as to what you just mentioned.

this doesn't make sense. issa just signed a huge development deal with HBO. and this show is pretty popular. if there's no 6th season, its cuz issa didn't want to do it.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Good latest episode.

This is what I think is going to happen. This is all speculation on my part, but I am going to put it in spoiler anyway.

I think Nathan is going to kill himself off screen of course (due to him struggling with his mental illness) Did he get fired from his job in the last episode?? And Issa is not going to be able to handle it and this will cause her to run back to Lawrence. Also the scene of Lawrence and Condala shows they are working together to raise the child. She tells him he is a "good father" etc. But there is no romantic moments there. Just apologizing for what he put her through. This is all speculation. I think there are going to be more moments now that Lawrence is in LA for her to connect with him

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I enjoyed this episode. The last ten minutes had some REALLY good writing and acting.

The game didn’t feel forced at all to me. I know a LOT of women who do that kind of stuff when they get together, its what women do.

Again, I like how they continue to humanize Nathan, although the relationship is doomed, its actually starting to FEEL like a relationship and not just another final boss roadblock for Issa/Lawrence. Too bad they waited until the damn LAST SEASON to make him a compelling character.

I see some cracks in the way they are writing Issa’s character but i’m going to refrain on calling it out until the end of the season to see if they are doing it on purpose and have a real breakthrough planned for her. If so then its good writing and characterization but if not then it will be sloppy.

All in all this season has been on the upswing since the Lawrence centric episode. There’s really not much to complain about

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Recent episode was mid to me. Definitely one of the better ones in this underwhelming season, but that's not saying much. Wasn't really bothered by the game or the whole chilling aspect. It gave us a chance to see more layers of the characters, but that was about it. Everything just came off corny to me. I like how it ended tho. That was real as fukk.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How come nobody likes Nathan?

I think it's because they really haven't given him much plot or character development beyond just ninja smoking Issa. Pretty much all of the meaningful development for the character has happened this season. So, I can understand why people aren't really into the character.

But on the other hand, you could argue that the lack of character development could be using deliberately thin writing to manipulate the audience into aligning with Issa's thinking. Most people who say they don't like Nathan are usually wanting her to end up with Lawrence, primarily because there's so much history and development of their relationship, whereas her relationship with Nathan is by comparison mostly new and uncertain. That's what they're essentially saying is Issa's reasoning for constantly wanting to go back, and part of the larger point of the character.

Last edited:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
How come nobody likes Nathan?

How come anybody DOES like him :mjtf:?

I don't think he's had anything good to do as a character, not really sure his writing was a great look at being bipolar (maybe it wasn't supposed to be :manny:)

He served as mainly a plot device to keep Issa wasting time