Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
Surprised how many people think Molly & Issa just “grew apart”.... I think this more about a lack of growth. Both Molly and Issa are too immature and pretty to mend a relationship that is beneficial to both if them

Issa displays her immaturity by thinking it would take a few shallow, superficial encounters for them to get back to normal and all of the issues that led up to the fissure would just be water under the bridge. She’s 30+ year old adult, she needs to grow the fukk up and actually address problems not hope they magically fix themselves.

Molly displays her pettiness by drawing a line in the sand (requiring Issa to reach out) and then once she gets that drawing a new line in the sand (requiring Issa to bring up the block party). She sends an errant text and never even apologizes for what the text says, just that Issa wasn’t supposed to see it smh. She just referred to Issa as her best friend earlier in the episode, after all they’ve gone through, but her petty ass is still too self righteous to even try to mend fences.

Molly is feeling a bit too comfortable with the “longest relationship she’s ever had”, but if/when that ends, she’s in for a rude awakening. She has no other real close friends. Just as we’ve seen with Issa, they filled up a big part of each other’s lives. Shows like these are frustrating as an audience since we’re detached 3rd parties with a view of both sides. It’s easy for us to see that if they just communicated, they’d be so much better off, but from their vantage point things just ain’t that simple.

Ethnic Cleansing

Fucc Slobks and Crabks
Daps
Invite a woman to help you move :mjlol:, everybody involved in that situation new that fukking was definitely a possibility.

issa: I am seeing my ex but here to help unpack :mjgrin:

Nathan: :unimpressed: I hope he doesn’t screw up again. Get that heavy ass box on the floor :youngsabo:
Call 130 pound Issa instead of your barbershop buddies or Andrew to lift heavy ass boxes horny brehs

:mjlit:

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Haven't lived there, but try to spend a lot of time in LA, and have a half dozen or so friends in various positions across the city, there is certainly some aspirational, slightly fantastical element to the lush houses of some cast members, and I think it's a good balance between realism and fantasy. I think Molly would easily be able to afford that place, as I am thinking, being a top associate at a high powered law firm, she's clearing 150k or so, (or more) which means a $3600/month is pretty reasonable. All those firms offering her positions, and labored contract/salary discussions, aren't for like 50k salaries, they are for the top earners, or the tier just below.

*Never speak too badly about someone's ex, it never makes you look, I try to walk a line between ignoring and lightly clowning, but it isn't always easy. Partly, because I am so rarely impressed with anyone's partners, whether compared to me, or not.

I agree that she can afford it, I'm just saying the people who make her salary don't choose to pay that much. I was making like $190K+ in LA all in on $155K base, but I felt like I was being indulgent paying ~$3K a month. My colleagues & friends were making similar amounts of money, but the reality is that LA forces you to save because there's no let up as you get older. Buying a house is expensive. Property taxes are expensive. Childcare is expensive, etc. etc.

Out of like 20+ people I knew from grad school making $140K+ a year, only 1 person I knew was living like Molly was - and her dad was founder / CEO of a multi-million dollar company. Realistically Molly would be wilding having the apartment that she does, even at her income.

Surprised how many people think Molly & Issa just “grew apart”.... I think this more about a lack of growth. Both Molly and Issa are too immature and pretty to mend a relationship that is beneficial to both if them

Issa displays her immaturity by thinking it would take a few shallow, superficial encounters for them to get back to normal and all of the issues that led up to the fissure would just be water under the bridge. She’s 30+ year old adult, she needs to grow the fukk up and actually address problems not hope they magically fix themselves.

Molly displays her pettiness by drawing a line in the sand (requiring Issa to reach out) and then once she gets that drawing a new line in the sand (requiring Issa to bring up the block party). She sends an errant text and never even apologizes for what the text says, just that Issa wasn’t supposed to see it smh. She just referred to Issa as her best friend earlier in the episode, after all they’ve gone through, but her petty ass is still too self righteous to even try to mend fences.

Molly is feeling a bit too comfortable with the “longest relationship she’s ever had”, but if/when that ends, she’s in for a rude awakening. She has no other real close friends. Just as we’ve seen with Issa, they filled up a big part of each other’s lives. Shows like these are frustrating as an audience since we’re detached 3rd parties with a view of both sides. It’s easy for us to see that if they just communicated, they’d be so much better off, but from their vantage point things just ain’t that simple.

This is my biggest problem w/ Issa. She's not even self-aware.

Molly is being somewhat petty, and I can't defend her actions towards Andrew (bad relationship w/ Issa is destabilizing the one w/ Andrew, but that's a post for another day), but I definitely relate to her drawing a line in the sand in the relationship with Issa. It's not like she hasn't communicated her issues w/ Issa's selfishness - she's pulled Issa's card multiple times before but Issa still doesn't get it. I get where she's coming from.

The other thing which is interesting is about all of this is the degree to which Molly's stubbornness may be an extension of why she's good at her job. Or vice versa. The show's had her speak to taking a hard line in negotiations multiple times in the context of her job. Having done negotiations, one of the principle things you have to do before giving and getting concessions is acknowledging the concerns or issues of the other side of the table. Nothing makes you more entrenched to not give anything away than a business partner that doesn't acknowledge that an existing arrangement isn't working - or that screwed you over in the past. It will have you like :pacspit:.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I agree that she can afford it, I'm just saying the people who make her salary don't choose to pay that much. I was making like $190K+ in LA all in on $155K base, but I felt like I was being indulgent paying ~$3K a month. My colleagues & friends were making similar amounts of money, but the reality is that LA forces you to save because there's no let up as you get older. Buying a house is expensive. Property taxes are expensive. Childcare is expensive, etc. etc.

Out of like 20+ people I knew from grad school making $140K+ a year, only 1 person I knew was living like Molly was - and her dad was founder / CEO of a multi-million dollar company. Realistically Molly would be wilding having the apartment that she does, even at her income.

All good points! I think Insecure does a pretty balanced job, of visually pleasing sets, and realism, but yeah, Molly's place is like a top floor, 700 plus square foot place, not like it's a modest studio/loft in a high end building. All TV.movies do this, usually, it probably shows one, creative license, and to some degree, the disconnect of entertainment industry, in which everyone has lavish homes, and amazing lives, like a Nancy Meyers movie. A good amount of that is healthy though. Many of my friends and I live in similar buildings in downtown San Diego area, but I remember how quick my boy fell off when he was trying to make the $2500 note on his Dad's new condo. He lasted like 5 months, this was early 20's though.

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset

Not exactly. Per Issa’s conversation with Lawrence, she stated that Molly would discuss their issues when Molly was ready, they would restart self care Sunday & return back to normalcy. The brunch was more so an olive branch to get Molly to come around to have the talk...especially since we all know that Molly holds on the grudges indefinitely.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Pretty onpoint especially having lived in LA.

The one thing that seems a little off is the trappings of the people you're supposed to look at as having their shyt together (e.g., Condola, Tiff). Owning these houses with gorgeous, renovated interiors that would probably cost you at least $500K, and more like $7+ in any nice neighborhoods, isn't something I saw. No one I knew was living like that - even amongst the dual income, both individuals making 6 figs crowd.

shyt, my bosses didn't even live like that in LA.

Molly's apartment in DTLA would easily cost her upwards of $3600 a month having looked at / been to apartments in that area. I've been to house / dinner parties in the apartment she's supposed to be in (as well as the one they're actually shooting in), and while she could afford those units it'd be a terrible financial decision. People I know were paying like $3K in those buildings but with much smaller / average apartment units.

A lawyer like her wouldn't be living THAT nice but I understand how they have to put some financial distance between her and Issa. Location means a ton in LA, so it's not as easy to convey that over the screen.

Socially and culturally it's incredibly onpoint, though.
If she’s a couple years in at a big law firm she could easily afford that.