Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
THANK YOU!!! Others give their own a chance without even a simple background check. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes. I see tons of graduating college students not be able to get a coveted internship b/c the money makers have bullied the company to putting their friends’ & associates children in that role. I’ve witness men in power ask for a subordinate to make an appointment with that subordinate’s friend so that they can throw them some business. There are actually business partners who hate each other but still maintain a working relationships b/c the business makes dollars & cents.

That being said, when it comes to business, keep your personal feelings out of it!!!
The examples are different because it's people with power where if things fukk up it may hurt their business but it'll all fall on their own shoulders. And in reality what you're saying is the exact opposite of what you're complaining about Molly for doing.

If we have a friend that we view as a professional fukk up then most of us would be hesitant to bring them into their own professional life. I have some friends who I wouldn't trust at all professional and wouldn't put my reputation on the line trying to hook them up if it can fukk up my own situation. At what point is the onus on Issa to prove that she's matured professionally and that she's trustworthy in the professional situation. Like I've stated before, what happens if Molly makes the hookup and the whole event blows up, she's stuck between her best friend and boyfriend and things become messy.

I go back to Molly's conversation with Issa where it didn't work out with Schoolboy Q. In that convo they had Molly blaming Issa for it falling through as a way to show she didn't trust Issa in a professional sense which laid the groundwork for her not wanting to connect her boyfriend professionally to Issa.

Daps
I agree but their relationship has been strained for a while so to Molly it might seem like more than a friend type favor. Molly looks down on Issa so I think in the beginning she liked having her around to look at how her life was a mess but now that she's making moves Molly don't think it's funny anymore. Plus she trying to navigate this relationship and make it work with Andrew? ( asian dude) and it's clear she doesn't know how to be in a real relationship that's not casual. What's crazy tho is how easy going he was about the favor for Issa. Like yo she hit me up and I made a call, boom easy and I helped your girl out so what's the problem? He wasn't tripping about it so Molly really shouldn't have been. she really should've waited to have her tantrum until after the block party.

it was such a non issue he didn’t even bother to tell Molly that he did it. Molly’s reaction proved that she was more mad about Issa finally not fukking up. Andrew has got to be thinking that’s she’s crazy now.

Had Molly waited till they were in private and be like, “Issa asked me about having you help her out, but I told her no because I didn’t want to put a strain on our relationship, and I’m upset at her for still finding a way to do so.” I think he’d have been receptive, probably apologize, and pointed how it wasn’t a big deal, that Issa had to have put in work to even get him to make the call, and that all he did was make a call. But that’s too thoughtful, and I don’t think Molly would have handled it well.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I get it from Molly's perspective. If things turned out bad now Molly is in the middle having to choose between her man and her best friend. That's a shytty position to be in. Especially since Issa has been portrayed as unreliable business wise so she told Issa she wanted to keep the two separate. Issa going around her is shady. From the way Issa was scrambling it's not a shock that Molly expected her to fail and also understandable she wouldn't want her man being involved in the failure.

Seems a lot of people have the selfish attitude of people "hating" and not wanting to help them no matter what instead of asking why someone wouldn't want to help.

Also I think one difference is Issa having Molly ask Andrew on some favor shyt instead of asking for a meeting where she can approach him on the business tip.
Issa's Block Party vision has been connecting with everybody who she's shared it with... except for Molly.

She hit it off with Condola and she bought in. They worked well together, even tho things got awkward because of the Lawrence connection.

Issa pitched the idea and got funding and vendors behind her after the mixer she had at her complex... She tells Molly, and Molly is just an a$$hole and immediately is negative. Molly's perspective is clear. "Issa isn't shyt" is her perspective. That's why she shyts on Issa's wins when she brings up the number of sponsors she just got in a night. That's why she doesn't want to ask Andrew to help her. The funny thing is, Andrew ALSO believed and saw that what Issa put together was good, because he wouldn't have even hit up Vince Staples if Issa didn't have her shyt together.

Molly is the type of person who feels better than Issa and feels a way about her actually putting shyt together.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
If I ask my homeboy to ask his gf/wife for a favor for me and he says it isn't cool and doesn't want to involve her,. I'd respect that. What I wouldn't do is basically ask someone else that is going to default to asking her anyway.

That wasn't cool, but I'm not surprised most women think that was ok though. If you've dated women long enough you learn their "friendships" aren't real and that operate differently.

It is surprising so many men here think it's ok but then again people think they are above respecting boundaries and selfish to their own needs these days.

I will say Molly was wrong for addressing it at the block party though. That could have waited.
We can stop right there. Molly and Issa were no longer friends after Molly declined. Evidenced by Molly telling Andrew "you know we not cool" when she got mad at him for helping Issa. And also evidenced by Issa when she told Nathan "I dont fukk with Molly anymore". If thats you and your "homeboy" in this situation, that aint your homeboy by the end of that call.
:yeshrug:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
If anything, this Block Party event and the dynamics around it really exposed a lot of black people's issues when I comes to us looking out for our communities, and the underlying reasons why in most cases, "we can't have nice shyt".

Why do black people make up all these rules around showing love and helping each other?

Why is there politics preventing support from friends?

Why are our good ideas given life by new people/sponsors but doubted by friends?

Why shouldn't we ask our people for help or a cosign?

Why are we expected to do it on our own when that's not how things work for anybody else?

I cannot stand people like Molly. It's not just a women thing either, because I know men who act like this. We create all of this unnecessary competition against each other's success that we all just make everything harder for one another.

And on top of that, if I had a personal conflict to where I didn't want to involve my partner/spouse in a business endeavor, I would make that known like Molly did, but I would still want my people to win even without my involvement. It literally burned Molly up that Issa had her moment without needing her which is fukked up.

powerful post

Black community got a lot of Molly ass nikkas out there. People that will swear they're your best friend and could change your life for the better with just one phone call or email, but would rather see you go through video game levels of trials and tribulations hoping you'll fail, like your life is some type of personal cinema for them.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
:patrice:They were both wrong. Issa was a shytty friend and circumvented Molly's rule in order to keep her event from failing. She went through Nathan to get to Andrew and then exclaimed that she doesn't fukk w Molly lol. That's some wild shyt :whoo:

Molly, on the other hand, was a shytty friend bc she didn't realize the amount of effort that Issa was putting into her event to be a success. Andrew saw the shyt and was good with it. Then when she found out about Andrew helping behind her back, she flipped out and fukked up the whole day. That's some wild shyt bc she could have had that discussion afterwards instead of causing a scene

They could have communicated better to get a feel of each other and what they were going through. Wild that Molly would have let Issa's event fail though :sas1:
People are overlooking the bold. She could have very well went that route first. Had ample opportunities to do so. She went to who she believed she was still friends with to ask this favor. Issa deserves credit for attempting to maintain their friendship. Sadly, this is how women operate and rarely do they keep lasting relationships.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Issa's Block Party vision has been connecting with everybody who she's shared it with... except for Molly.

She hit it off with Condola and she bought in. They worked well together, even tho things got awkward because of the Lawrence connection.

Issa pitched the idea and got funding and vendors behind her after the mixer she had at her complex... She tells Molly, and Molly is just an a$$hole and immediately is negative. Molly's perspective is clear. "Issa isn't shyt" is her perspective. That's why she shyts on Issa's wins when she brings up the number of sponsors she just got in a night. That's why she doesn't want to ask Andrew to help her. The funny thing is, Andrew ALSO believed and saw that what Issa put together was good, because he wouldn't have even hit up Vince Staples if Issa didn't have her shyt together.

Molly is the type of person who feels better than Issa and feels a way about her actually putting shyt together.
Classic case of “I want you to do good but not better than me.”

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
This notion of Issa being a fukk up gotta stop. She quit We Got Yall. Quit when they had finally acknowledged how much she was doing but she wanted to do more than what they were allowing. She didnt get fired, she quit. She quit so she could find something she was more passionate about. And she did, the block party. Was driving Lyft and apartment managing to pay the bills while she grinded for the block party.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This notion of Issa being a fukk up gotta stop. She quit We Got Yall. Quit when they had finally acknowledged how much she was doing but she wanted to do more than what they were allowing. She didnt get fired, she quit. She quit so she could find something she was more passionate about. And she did, the block party. Was driving Lyft and apartment managing to pay the bills while she grinded for the block party.
And this is another source of Molly's resentment low key.

Molly is a lawyer, making a lot more bread than Issa is, but she's never happy. She sees Issa doing something that she's really passionate about, and she's doing it her way and Molly is waiting to see everything fall apart.

It's a classic case of the self centered corporate professional looking down on the ambitious entrepreneur trying make a difference in their community because in a way it makes them feel empty. There's a lot of layers to Issa and Molly's relationship unraveling. The writers have done a great job of portraying it IMO.