Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
We’re not really missing any signs. This sites demo is black males between 20 and 40. Lawrence is the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of representation of a relatively normal black dude as a major character on a show. For most of the shows your options were uber square like Carlton and Urkel or cool slacker like Will or Eddie or Theo or dumb ass like Junior on my wife and kids.

Lawrence is also the only character whose had growth and doesn’t double down on terrible decisions. He was a depressed bum squandering that Georgetown degree when the series starts. Him and Issa aren’t getting along, but he’s still faithful when Tasha is throwing it at him. And when dude gets on, he takes the girl who was holding him down ring shopping. Season 2 he deals with the fall out. Season 3, he starts being a ho, and at the end decides it’s not for him and wants to settle down. Growth.

No other character did that. Issa went from cheating on Lawrence, to trying to be a ho, to making terrible life choices with Nathan and the TSA dude, while basically being unemployed.

Molly is still doing all the same shyt she was doing in season 1.

I completely agree with you regarding Lawrence but I think we're being very unfair in regards to Issa & Molly here.

What I find interesting is the visceral reactions we see from the Black people watching the show that suggests we should be seeing near flawless characters, who always make the right decisions and any growth they make is one-dimensional.

Let's take Lawrence for example. Every dude (me included) was pissed he ended up sending Issa the laughing IG emoji reaction, like there aren't any normal, regular schmegular Black dudes that don't 'relapse' with their exes, even those who've cheated on them. We as Black men don't like to expose those 'cracks', when it comes to infidelity that happens to us, but it's more commonplace than we let on.

And it is possible to progress through life, in a non-linear fashion and this series has done well to showcase that, for all three main characters, not just Lawrence.

The conversation Molly had with Andrew in last week's episode, her giving her father that peace-offering pie, even the exchange with Issa in the grocery store...that isn't happening in Season 1. Think about the argument they had in the car after the Broken P*ssy scene...

:russ:

Yeah, they're still figuring sh*t out as friends, but to suggest there isn't progress there on Molly's part is disingenuous IMO.

ThaEruditious

She luv it over here like Gold Watch.
Daps
Reppin
Nashville/Augusta
It was because Issa made a song about her and performed it at the club.

Naw, they patched that up. They got into it because Issa suggested therapy to Molly which led into them comparing relationship problems. Molly kinda decimated her then because all Issa was doing up until that point was complaining to her girlfriend about all her ills in life and Molly always cheered her on. That whole spat ended with Molly throwing the fact that Issa cheated AFTER Lawrence picked himself up and telling her that she didn't even deserve Lawrence. Back then, Molly was her ride or die, even letting that whole Broken p*ssy fiasco go almost immediately.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Didn't even know Season 4 of this shyt dropped.

Im on episode 2 right now and does this TSA nikka have Issa touching his booty?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Lol I went in the comments of that streaming link one of yall posted. Some brehettes in the comments speak the real truth about why Lawrence's character is so triggering to them:

I don’t know why but I have the hardest time with Laurence his character on this show is so triggering to me. You would think I dated his ass.. I was probably the only person happy when he wasn’t involved as much in the last season because hIs experiences are so hard to watch.. it’s like watching your ex go on and fukk and be happy without you.. When I end things with someone I don’t want to see them and it’s better that way..

The communication issues Molly is having is so real it’s almost hard to say how you feel because slot of times you don’t know if it’s actually safe to say it.. men sometimes make you feel like your crazy for having feeling or even wanting to see things through and it’s hard to know which is that or which is the one.. this show makes me feel a lot less crazy when it comes to these kinds of things lol..

I missed this show.. I’m at such a weird crossroads in my life that this show has come at the right moment for me. Glad it’s back.

Tif was so funny when she was avoiding that Laurence and Condolla thing.. lol
I would agree for some reason I feel that Lawence's character always gets the better end of the stick and I am still rooting for Issa. She deserves a win and to be rid of Lawerence's asx! He always finds his way in the picture.
:sas1:

As far as the season goes, well it's going great.

Funny moments, entertaining, debate-causing topics, on point cinematography and composing.

• What struck me the most is the beautiful natural hairstyles displayed every episode. It's even borderline unrealistic because Issa showing up every scene with a new style making me go :whoo: then "I know ISSA of all people isn't doing all that without a stylist :lolbron:" That I appreciate, as well as the outfits.

• Molly is still beautiful as fukk :ohlawd: If her character wasn't that messed up in the head, she would get taken of these dating streets with the quickness.

• A lot of fukking :picard:

• Lawrence is acting like a weirdo. So what if your ex and your current are talking about you? You're looking crazy. Took me out though when Issa was trying to chop it up on the phone and he cut it short quick "we can hang up now :usure:" "ok :hubie:" :dead:

• Molly is right about Andrew imo. I mean, I kind of chalk it up to cultural differences, but you can't be out here kissing people and dating others at the same time :hubie: That's not how we do things here. Her thoughts were legitimate, but her communication was trash. Got a lot better when she asked him to open up though, even if the form would have needed work.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Lawrence is the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of representation of a relatively normal black dude as a major character on a show.
giphy.gif

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Lawrence is the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of representation of a relatively normal black dude as a major character on a show.

Theo Huxtable (Cosby)
Dwayne Wayne (Different World)
Kyle Barker (Living Single)
Overton(Living Single)
Will Smith (Fresh Prince)
Martin Payne (Martin)
Reggie Vaughn (Survivor’s Remorse)
Harrison Wright (Scandal)
Reggie Green (Dear White People)
Ralph Angel (Queen Sugar)
Steven Harper (Boston Public)
Earn Marks( Atlanta)

Daps
Theo Huxtable (Cosby)
Dwayne Wayne (Different World)
Kyle Barker (Living Single)
Overton(Living Single)
Will Smith (Fresh Prince)
Martin Payne (Martin)
Reggie Vaughn (Survivor’s Remorse)
Harrison Wright (Scandal)
Reggie Green (Dear White People)
Ralph Angel (Queen Sugar)
Steven Harper (Boston Public)
Earn Marks( Atlanta)

I can’t comment on all of those. But Theo and Will are the cool slacker type. I’d say Martin’s swag and charisma put him above random average black dude. Reggie Green is a borderline militant computer programmer at an Ivy. I don’t think his personality is typical anywhere outside of TLR.

I’ll give you the Living Single ones though. Had forgotten about those. Good call. I’m off to go watch reruns now.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I definitely love the cinematography of Insecure. LA is another character that's on display. Makes me want to visit.
LA is one of the places that look like how it is on screen. All of those spots too. It’s a beautiful county. You should go visit if you can. I would move out there if I found a good paying job.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Molly family was dope, her mom going in on the brothers choice in women :mjlol:

Issa brother speaking in Twitter quotes and "yaas-bytch-isms" :comeon:

Wendy Raquel as her mom :shaq:

Lawrence and Issa about to fukk, Condola wants nothing to do with simp ass Lawrence

Kelly is now the designated over the top annoying character

Ready to see Issa and Molly friendship crumble, you grow out of certain friendships