Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The way people view the show is probably endemic to how they view relationships, and life in general. Harsh, unforgiving, and entirely too critical, picking a side, or a person, and digging into it. Not how I feel about the show, or relationships, but the show does have a lot of interesting things to say.

How social media drives events was depicted perfectly, without parody, or bitterness, just an accurate and non judgemental reflection. A lot of laughs this episode (Chad in the Rover, another big laugh line, I forgot) The youtube parody was excellent, whole scene was reminiscent of Mad Men, where Draper fixed the sink, and all the wives went mad. No, I cannot and will not and will never try to fix anyone's sink, including mine.

Friendship at 30 plus is different, and Molly and Issa, a lot of the time, aren't very kind to each other, it's all cynical, tongue in cheek remarks, sarcasm, banter, but they aren't normally just kind on a regular basis, in a casual way.

Sometimes it's because you have known someone so long, or just get caught in that cycle, but look at Condola and Issa, they are genuine and encouraging of each other. Look at Issa and Ahmal, sometimes you just want them to say something kind to each other, no matter how great the banter is, you can tell neither likes to be vulnerable with the other.

Lawrence was great, and has came a long way from the first season. That is really how growth happens, slowly, and gradually. He's confident, and well poised, well liked, and just a little insecure, like we are all.

I am not sure quite how to read his Thanksgiving with Condola and her friends. His social status can't be far from hers, or her friends, but the show seemed to convey, they thought he was a bit of a goofball, in some pretty hilarious scenes, but she and they seemed to also really like him. Was it Condola not ready to show off her love interest, until she knew where they were?

That song took me back! I was like is this Blaque? Destiny's Child? I couldn't catch it, and fell asleep before I could get it. Underrated sleeper from Mya in 2000. and I had that album too, bought it for "Best Of Me".

*The alarm clock scene, wow

*"You want to buy a house? "

*Whatever happened to Bradley Cooper? For the record Bradley Cooper is doing great.

"Did I ever tell you about the time I lost my hearing

and it came back stronger"?

"You planning funerals now Condola? Because I am fukking dead"

"I'm going to follow you into the kitchen to stare at your scalp"

lol

Last edited:

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
The way people view the show is probably endemic to how they view relationships, and life in general. Harsh, unforgiving, and entirely too critical, picking a side, or a person, and digging into it. Not how I feel about the show, or relationships, but the show does have a lot of interesting things to say.

How social media drives events was depicted perfectly, without parody, or bitterness, just an accurate and non judgemental reflection. A lot of laughs this episode (Chad in the Rover, another big laugh line, I forgot) The youtube parody was excellent, whole scene was reminiscent of Mad Men, where Draper fixed the sink, and all the wives went mad. No, I cannot and will not and will never try to fix anyone's sink, including mine.

Friendship at 30 plus is different, and Molly and Issa, a lot of the time, aren't very kind to each other, it's all cynical, tongue in cheek remarks, sarcasm, banter, but they aren't normally just kind on a regular basis, in a casual way.

Sometimes it's because you have known someone so long, or just get caught in that cycle, but look at Condola and Issa, they are genuine and encouraging of each other. Look at Issa and Ahmal, sometimes you just want them to say something kind to each other, no matter how great the banter is, you can tell neither likes to be vulnerable with the other.

Lawrence was great, and has came a long way from the first season. That is really how growth happens, slowly, and gradually. He's confident, and well poised, well liked, and just a little insecure, like we are all.

I am not sure quite how to read his Thanksgiving with Condola and her friends. His social status can't be far from hers, or her friends, but the show seemed to convey, they thought he was a bit of a goofball, in some pretty hilarious scenes, but she and they seemed to also really like him. Was it Condola not ready to show off her love interest, until she knew where they were?

That song took me back! I was like is this Blaque? Destiny's Child? I couldn't catch it, and fell asleep before I could get it. Underrated sleeper from Mya in 2000. and I had that album too, bought it for "Best Of Me".

Great recap especially the bolded.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
explain how he’s a fukk up.
He’s fukked up with every woman he’s been with. Tasha blew it, India’s girl blew it and now Condola blowing it. He communicates like a brick. He’s insecure and doesn’t know what he wants or doesn’t tell them. He also never got over getting cheated on so now he’s fukked up and instead of healing he’s on some dumb shyt. Either you like smashing chicks or you a relationship guy. Be one or the other I’ve always told my friends that shyt.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD

I am not sure quite how to read his Thanksgiving with Condola and her friends. His social status can't be far from hers, or her friends, but the show seemed to convey, they thought he was a bit of a goofball, in some pretty hilarious scenes, but she and they seemed to also really like him. lol
I was a little confused at this as well. I’m a way they did seem to make fun of him and not take him serious but they seemed like the goofballs in the situation.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Lawrence took some big Ls this episode. You hate to see it

Fire song and perfect timing:banderas:
He taking the ultimate L if he goes back to Issa. Can't reward her for shytting on him at his lowest point. Can't ever trust a woman like that. And yeah the MYA joint was absolutely the perfect joint to end the show. Raphael Saadiq is killing shyt on here.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
“I got the nikka with potential. I got the work in progress. She’s reaping all the benefits of his time with me.”

I was ready to :leostare: at Issa but she was being more reflective than being salty. I can respect that.
This is what happens when women don't ride it out with a breh that's struggling, he should've kept her close as a friend just so she can see him get the bag and cut her off once he got married :ufdup:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
Well, the show would disagree with you :mjlol:

Dude had the higher earning potential even when he was just chilling on the sofa, all of their mutual female friends make him look like the catch and is more physically attractive than her.
Even when they both leveled up, he seemed to do it faster while it took Issa like 2 seasons to get her mind right. On top of being on the verge of losing one of her best friends. Meanwhile Lawrence still cool with all his nikkas.

Issa sounding bitter to her brother pretty much confirms it. That convo doesn't even come up if she truly felt Lawrence was beneath her. Hard to read someone's potential when you can't even realize your own.
But yeah we all see shyt differently so we'll definitely disagree there. :myman:
:whew:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
exactly, but she's supposed to be above him somehow. :mindblown:

a nikka on a couch was holding her life together:mjlol:
She thought she was going to be a producers wife and that nikka had her sleeping on his couch because she hit rock bottom :deadrose: and somehow she was out of Lawrence's league?

"bytches left me cuz they thought I was finished"-:ahh:

Daps

I was a little confused at this as well. I’m a way they did seem to make fun of him and not take him serious but they seemed like the goofballs in the situation.

I thought the friends genuinely like Lawrence for what they thought he was...a rebound that Condola would move on from shortly. So even tho they liked him and thought he was good company, they clearly didn’t respect him and would be side eying Condola if she made it serious. I don’t think they did a good job of illustrating what made Condola and her friends feel like they were better however. Lawrence is doing pretty well for himself, and he connected to some degree with one of them being in tech. But Lawrence isn’t the Black upper class pedigree (i.e. family homes in Martha’s Vineyard, running in circles with the “Black Elite”), so I could see Condola’s friends looking down on him if they were of that pedigree, but the show didn’t convey that they were, so it was a bit weird.

As far as Condola’s feelings, I think that was left ambiguous on purpose. It was a red flag immediately when she said she had this Friendsgiving planned but never mentioned it to Lawrence. Was surprised he didn’t say something at that point. My guess is that Condola is legit digging Lawrence but is proceeding cautiously in how she brings him into her life. Of course from Lawrence’s vantage point it looks like her friends were right and he’s just some meaningless rebound dikk.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Condola friends were corny to me(They seem more like the elite cornballs). Yeah he definitely forced his way into that friends giving situation. But it did him good because her friends told her how she really felt. shyt Tiffany probably told Condola on to some bullshyt about Lawrence.

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
She thought she was going to be a producers wife and that nikka had her sleeping on his couch because she hit rock bottom :deadrose: and somehow she was out of Lawrence's league?

"bytches left me cuz they thought I was finished"-:ahh:

Facts
:mjlol: at anybody thinking Issa is above Lawrence or anybody on that show. I can't believe I read that.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
Facts
:mjlol: at anybody thinking Issa is above Lawrence or anybody on that show. I can't believe I read that.
Word to the wise, if you ever date a woman that agrees or tries to justify what Issa did to Lawrence don't catch feelings for her because that means she would do the same thing to you....trust me.

Daps
This is what happens when women don't ride it out with a breh that's struggling, he should've kept her close as a friend just so she can see him get the bag and cut her off once he got married :ufdup:

Her situation is even worse because she rode it out and fukked up right as she was about to cross the finish line. It’s amazing how she played herself.