Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
This might be their best season or at worst just under the first. They've managed to create three distinct main characters each with their own stories that can stand on their own without having to be directly connected to Issa. Holding off on Lawrence coming back was great in hindsight. That absence made his return impactful and he's been worked back into the show organically. His "friendship" with Issa and him dating the girl Issa's going to be working with on the block party will make him being around logical. They managed to introduce two new male characters who will stick around in logical ways and have stronger personalities that make them more than just love interests. Molly's arc this season was great. Imma need a Kelly and Quadrel arc next season:mjlit:
Mr. Robinson's coffee mug game is brolic:wow:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This might be their best season or at worst just under the first. They've managed to create three distinct main characters each with their own stories that can stand on their own without having to be directly connected to Issa. Holding off on Lawrence coming back was great in hindsight. That absence made his return impactful and he's been worked back into the show organically. His "friendship" with Issa and him dating the girl Issa's going to be working with on the block party will make him being around logical. They managed to introduce two new male characters who will stick around in logical ways and have stronger personalities that make them more than just love interests. Molly's arc this season was great. Imma need a Kelly and Quadrel arc next season:mjlit:
Mr. Robinson's coffee mug game is brolic:wow:
I won't say this was their best, but this season really ended strongly. I agree regarding the three characters not needing Issa as well. I think we are going to get that next season too because I feel Molly and Issa are gonna fall out and be on their own for a bit. And Lawrence is living his best life with no Issa except as friends.

I am also not sure why people are upset the Daniel arc. it makes sense. Dude is a side character who cant get out of his own way. We will see him pop up but he not an important dude and Issa realized she can't get with him.

My only concern is that them all turning 30 has now made them start getting on track, which isnt true for most of us, lol.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I won't say this was their best, but this season really ended strongly. I agree regarding the three characters not needing Issa as well. I think we are going to get that next season too because I feel Molly and Issa are gonna fall out and be on their own for a bit. And Lawrence is living his best life with no Issa except as friends.

I am also not sure why people are upset the Daniel arc. it makes sense. Dude is a side character who cant get out of his own way. We will see him pop up but he not an important dude and Issa realized she can't get with him.

My only concern is that them all turning 30 has now made them start getting on track, which isnt true for most of us, lol.

Especially being in LA lol. People don't get it together out there and settle down til 40 lol.

Lawrence is a little older at 32 but that's still pretty young nowadays.

One thing I don't really like (but understand cuz it's real) is how they make it seem like they just gotta be with somebody. Molly lowkey needs a full year of no dating. Issa needs to get her finances and career in order so she really doesn't need to be dating Nathan either.

But if they did that, we would have no show lol.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Especially being in LA lol. People don't get it together out there and settle down til 40 lol.

Lawrence is a little older at 32 but that's still pretty young nowadays.

One thing I don't really like (but understand cuz it's real) is how they make it seem like they just gotta be with somebody. Molly lowkey needs a full year of no dating. Issa needs to get her finances and career in order so she really doesn't need to be dating Nathan either.

But if they did that, we would have no show lol.

another thing is their world is too small. they live in big ass LA, but stay running into the same small circle of people no matter where they go. I live in a city, and when I go to different places, I certainly DON'T run into my same group of people I know at each place.

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How can anyone take this show seriously when we all can tell through issa rae's body language that she's not into black guys at all, this is just plain ridiculous.

Another black actress who actually likes black guys should have played her role, she should have just stuck to executive producing. Issa's real feelings/personality comes out when she swirls on screen.

Every scene she's in with a black dude is always forced and unnatural which is SAD.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Cool finale. This shyt really needs to be longer than 8 episodes of season if they are going to have so many set up episodes. Almost gave up after first couple of episodes but it came back around towards the end.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Nathan has depression :mjcry: This scene touched a cord, I felt his emotions heavy. Cutting off every contact without a word because you just can't talk to people, not answering the phone even though you see it ringing every time :mjcry:

While everybody was debating whether or not he was a felon or a player my man just had mental issues :wow:Brilliant writing. Maybe that hurricane put a number on him, I heard it happens often to survivors of natural disasters.

That episode was brilliant, I loved it from beginning to end. And it planted so much seeds for the next season. Like Issa said, it was like the season 2 of The Wire, a transition season (never saw the Wire but I heard about this). This means season 4 is going to be fire :banderas:

I loved the scenes where Issa met her new friend and started to clean up her place, I know this feeling too well where you start clean up the mess as you rebounding in life. I also liked when she was truthful with Molly and told her wassup, poor girl was shook :mjlol:And just as shook when her colleagues teamed up, leaving her alone, just like she wanted from the beginning. Now she gets to be the star :ehh:

Can't wait for next season. This one started a little slow but the second half was great. I expect the season 4 to be the best.

Daps
How can anyone take this show seriously when we all can tell through issa rae's body language that she's not into black guys at all, this is just plain ridiculous.

Another actor should have played her role, she should have just stuck to executive producing. Her real emotions come out when she swirls on screen, her real personality comes out more.

Every scene she's in with a black dude is always forced and unnatural which is SAD.

:dwillhuh:

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Look at her, all the so called romantic/sex scenes that she's in, it's always wack. Her gazes, body language, everything etc. She's not into black guys at all.

Compare that to tasha or that new chick feeling lawrence. Issa has absolutely no chemistry with black guys, no strong sexual feelings. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
On some real shyt. My girl was like, "yo i thought he was gonna reveal he has some kinda mental disorder, like depression or some shyt. Anxiety or something."
we was sittin there waiting for that, but i guess MAYBE that was just some sloppy writing. Cause that shyt was dumb as hell!
That's what was so brilliant to me. Brehs usually don't know when they got a mental disorder :russ: They just deal with the episodes and don't know how the hell to explain it. But he showed every sign that's what it was.

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's what was so brilliant to me. Brehs usually don't know when they got a mental disorder :russ: They just deal with the episodes and don't know how the hell to explain it. But he showed every sign that's what it was.

Issa is not believable at all. Another chick playing her part would be the complete opposite of that terrible scene. Look at love jones and you can feel the sensuality oozing out of the screen between nia long and larenz tate when they weren't even kissing or nothing.

Daps
First, shout out to Regina King directing the finale.

I really liked the finale. I thought it showed that the writing is still on point, despite what many consider a lackluster season. They just suffered through the first half to let the Lawrence gimmick play out. The payoff was good as a viewer, but it def took its toll on the season. The finale was really well written. I liked the whole ex lover graveyard thing they had going on, that really worked. As well as Issa fixing up her apartment. I didn't like the Nathan explanation, thought they coulda did better than that. I thing Nathan handled the Molly confrontation the right way. Molly was right: it was Issa's bday, she was happy, it would not have been fair of Nathan to potentially ruin her day by popping up like that with that lame excuse.

Looking forward to next season, they still gotta get back to the Tiffany cheating angle....who's baby is that? :lupe:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Issa is not believable at all. Another chick playing her part would be the complete opposite of that terrible scene. Look at love jones and you can feel the sensuality oozing out of the screen between nia long and larenz tate when they weren't even kissing or nothing.
I fukked with her performance. It wasn't time for sensuality but gravity in my opinion. She was at a place where she had basically already cut him off, but was still hurt, and also at a point where she was moving on from a lot of things in her life. As the last scene in her apartment showed.

So she couldn't connect with him at all at this moment. He severed their link permanently by ghosting her a whole month. There was no more intimacy or romantic feelings on her part.