Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
The Lawrence character is probably either done or will be on an extreme hiatus to be brought back later down the line. I don't see how he comes back next season after he and the main character seemingly got their closure. The show is about Issa and Molly, all of the characters revolve around those 2.
man Lawrence's story is way more interesting than Molly right now. Molly is annoying as fukk. started disliking her ever since the way she stormed off at her parent's vow renewals when she found out her pops cheated. same repetitive behavior. phenomenal at her career, but clueless in her social life. meet decent dude, sabotage the situation over some silly shallow reason, go back to square one. I much rather see what happens with lawrence next

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Yeah I've already seen theories about them expanding Issa's brother and Derick and Tiffany's characters.

I can see them also expanding on Kelly's character since it's been said she has quickly become a fan favorite.

Overall, there is so much potential for this show to expand the scope past it being just a show about who Issa and Molly are dating.
I think Issa set up doing exactly this with the whole Tiffany ain't at Issa's watching Due North like Derek said she was plus the man at work Derek "got rid of" plus them struggling to have a baby, then it just happening, plus him sleeping at a hotel....etc. I think Tiffany and Derek are going to feature prominently in season 3. Lawrence may not be as featured, but I think he'll be there cuz he seems to be one of Derek's few friends (plus they spent to much time developing him to just bush him like that).

Side bar: are Tiffany and Derek married in real life? I just realized they have the same last name.:ohhh:
I've been working so much this past week that I forgot that Sunday was the season finale. I was still thinking the dinner party was the last one that aired:russ:

Insecure and Atlanta have been the best things to happen to black entertainment (Get Out as well). Issa isnt short sighted where she's just gonna make a black version of Sex & the City. Besides focusing on romantic relationships, they can delve more into everyone's careers. Plus these guys are all getting to that age where having kids and owning a home become priorities as opposed to possibilities. There are a ton of things they can do with this show. HBO needs to truly show their support and let Issa and her team have at least 10 episodes a season to build some great shyt

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
I think Issa set up doing exactly this with the whole Tiffany ain't at Issa's watching Due North like Derek said she was plus the man at work Derek "got rid of" plus them struggling to have a baby, then it just happening, plus him sleeping at a hotel....etc. I think Tiffany and Derek are going to feature prominently in season 3. Lawrence may not be as featured, but I think he'll be there cuz he seems to be one of Derek's few friends (plus they spent to much time developing him to just bush him like that).

:ohhh: I ain't even notice that she wasn't there watching the show with them.

:banderas: Next season already looking like its about to be lit and they ain't even started filming

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN

I cant front but I never noticed this. The way they shoot people of color is very good. Even low ley had me looking at Kelli one night like damn :lolbron: and yes I did type that. Dont judge me. Id take her down.

nikkas hoedar is off when they start going outside of their race. Like you can't cuff these hoes. Shorty was sounding like Alicia Keys and shyt.

Oh snap, her voice does sound like Alicia Keys lmao. Thats a good catch breh:ohhh:

Also your not lying but thats has to do with us not knowing their culture like that. Thats a great point about our hodear being off on non-black women.

Wow, I never knew these facebook live joints were that good. Im gonna have to go back and check out some of the older ones cause they really offer a lot of insight in these.

Last edited:

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Found it

You watched Atlanta right?

Finale was good to me. I don't like how they left Lawrence and Aparna up in the air though. She gotta be back next season:noah:

Yeah man, I loved Atlanta but Donald Glover is so busy it will be awhile before we get more from that series :mjcry:

Also I agree with you that they should bring her back but knowing them, she will be back for a few episodes next season and then her and Lawrence will be over after that like they did with Tasha.

Dear White People

Oh snap, never seen that one. Thanks a lot bro, ill check it out.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'm hang-out friends right now with a girl I dated for years. My inner circle is filled with people that used to date as well.

And it's not like the show hasn't already tried to get them together as "hang out' friend. Both Lawrence and Issa were invited to the birthday dinner, because that circle has connections together that won't stop just because Lawrence and Issa broke up. Derrick still hangs out with Lawrence and their group still gets together. A sign of maturation would be former exes being able to hang out. Or at least the attempt to.

Not sure why you would find that as the most unrealistic thing the show has done:yeshrug:Seems like it fits right in with the kind of modern relationship dynamics they like to cover.

Yea but did y'all exes cheat to end the relationship? :heh:

I can't suspend my disbelief enough to buy Lawrence happily hanging out with Issa after being heartbroken over her cheating on him, especially when she feigned re-commitment a few days prior. Too soon. Season 2 is only three months after Season 1. And the kitchen scene in the finale was the whole "I love you but can't be with you off GP" shyt. Nah man. That storyline would be the definition of forced. :pachaha:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Rather him not, but where do you go? He had his self revelation moment and got closure with Issa. All paths over two seasons came to that point in the finale for both characters. He's on a clean relationship slate now. How do you keep Lawrence around, interacting with the other main characters, and keep the theme of the show without seeming forced? And if he's not interacting with the other main characters then what's the end game? They're gonna expound on Tiffany + Derek relationship next, so maybe he ties in through Derek.
Expand the show to one hour

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
We Got Y'all

You ain't gettin no major bread with that degree :pachaha:

They really made a website for that lol.

You're right though, thats why I didnt major in history or anthropology. Majors like that are no good unless you want to go further and be a teacher or professor or something but majors like that get you nothing. A few of your works may get in wcholarly journals but you have to make a living breh, fukk that lol.

My homie graduated from Dartmouth and currently works at a Chase branch.
My other homie graduated from U Penn, became a rapper for a while, and works at a Non profit now.

Ivy league isn't a guarantee, you still gotta hustle and make good decisions. smart niccas can def be complacent or lazy.
They both have to tools and connections to ball out after college but didn't make the moves too.

Loved the finale tho. Looking forward to season 3.

Facts breh, thats why im stepping it up and trying to get some work experience though its my last semester. I was getting real lazy and complacent cause many people would tell me how had so much potential and shyt like that, so much so I thought I had this shyt in the bag until I started looking for a job and got passed on a lot cause I had no expeirence plus I dont have the connections or tools ivy leaguers have so I have to work twice as hard.

He and Issa, going by the finale, are going to attempt being "friends." Former exes becoming platonic friends is a storyline unto itself. They tried doing that with the birthday party dinner that went to hell, but now they can address the awkwardness in a less angry/bitter way. But the whole "can men and women be just friends?" is something I can see Issa wanting to tackle, just like the other modern topics she has tackled.

There is a ton of comedy to be had with Lawrence and the other men on the show. Whether it's Derek and Chad, or Lawrence hanging out with Issa and Daniel after they agreed to just be friends.

Plus, there is still a lot of workplace drama for Lawrence to deal with.

I'm not going to sit here and write out a storyline but honestly, thinking there isn't anything left to explore seems like a lack of imagination.

Facts, I feel they are discrediting Lawrence and mainly cause he is half past gram cracker brown. They dont take his ideals seriously or dont tell him the truth about them so we will see how that plays out going forward.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
This nikka Lawrence is such a fukkin herb smfh

Lawrence??? nikka DANIEL is the herb. Lawrence had 5 years with Issa and was done the moment she found out she cheated. Yeah he still had feelings and got a nut in but that's normal after FIVE YEARS.

This nikka Daniel is a fukkin doormat and it's disgusting. She can do and say anything to him and he'll just let her :dame:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Lawrence??? nikka DANIEL is the herb. Lawrence had 5 years with Issa and was done the moment she found out she cheated. Yeah he still had feelings and got a nut in but that's normal after FIVE YEARS.

This nikka Daniel is a fukkin doormat and it's disgusting. She can do and say anything to him and he'll just let her :dame:
Hence why there's not one character with one redeeming quality on here