Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
I was referring to the complexities based on their choices. Maybe my lens is eschewed to the rational side but I can't see how dating a woman from the workplace could work well for any man. Especially a woman who has dated another man in the office.

In hindsight, I would agree that attraction is non-negotiable so Issa and Molly returning to the dudes they are most attracted to or who provides to most excitement makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is the characters being in their 30's and still struggling to make these types of choices.

It makes sense for their characters, but doesn't make sense for mature adults. Particularly Molly. She doesn't have to stick with Quentin who she's not attracted to, but she also doesn't need to run back to Dro to play the side chick. There's more than two guys in L.A. She's a successful lawyer, but if she values herself as a side piece she can't expect anyone else to view her as anything more. She needs to start by opening up to the therapist about all this.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Wonder what they'll fill the Lawrence gap with next season.

More Daniel?
Flesh out Issa family?
Tiffany and Derek behind the scenes?

No Lawrence means no Chad too :francis:

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
From Stanford you will still get bread

My homie graduated from Dartmouth and currently works at a Chase branch.
My other homie graduated from U Penn, became a rapper for a while, and works at a Non profit now.

Ivy league isn't a guarantee, you still gotta hustle and make good decisions. smart niccas can def be complacent or lazy.
They both have to tools and connections to ball out after college but didn't make the moves too.

Loved the finale tho. Looking forward to season 3.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

More Daniel?
Flesh out Issa family?

Why do you think Lawrence will be written out of season 3?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Where do you go with him? He's only friends with Derek from Issa's social circle(and tbh, they were only friends because Tiffany and Issa were friends). Unless they're getting back together in S3(which would be a horrible idea), not much to do with him that hasn't been done already.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
I seen this too many times being in a white area where nikkas is fukking everything. Black, white, latina, etc. The common practice was brehs stayed having a weak hoedar on non-Black women but for Black women, the hoedar was next level. nikkas knew all of the details. With non-Blacks, it's like they don't even ask or want to ask. Some of these brehs weren't even c00ns hi-key.

Exactly the chick casually hooked up with a guy she worked with because he was "there". The chick is obviously very sexually liberal.

Last edited:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I don't want to see that happen but im like doggone it, stop making Lawrences character so damn gullible and soft.

Boy out here ignoring red flags and dissing good women and looking for closure crying and shyt...
The most rational of men aren't trying to see that shyt and most of us who do watch the show want
to see some sort of functional winning. Shyt I even thought Chad was winning until @LovelyOne83
told me he is out here engaged to a married woman on some ready made just add water cake baking
shyt...

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA

More Daniel?
Flesh out Issa family?

Yeah, I think Daniel takes Lawrence's spot as the 'main male' character, if that makes sense. They're not gonna follow Lawrence having threesomes and smashing out chicks any more bc he's not really tied to the main characters any more. It'd be wack if they have Molly or Kellie randomly interacting with buddy throughout LA. I hope they don't do that :francis:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Where do you go with him? He's only friends with Derek from Issa's social circle(and tbh, they were only friends because Tiffany and Issa were friends). Unless they're getting back together in S3(which would be a horrible idea), not much to do with him that hasn't been done already.
The structure of the finale is the exact same structure they can use going forward.

Lawerence, his tech job, and his group of male friends and dating adventures.

Issa, her social work job, and her group of friends and dating adventures.

Molly, her lawyer job, and her group of friends and dating adventures.

Those three are the main characters on the show. Those three provide the perspective of the show on three levels. Lawrence doesn't have to be interacting with Issa as a dating partner for him to have storylines.

Plus, in the finale Lawrence requested her as a "friend" and Issa smiled so that hints at them doing a "just friends" storyline with them in season 3. We've never seen them be friends. I'm sure Issa will enjoy writing a season about psuedo platonic male and female friendship. And there is always the possible reconciliation storyline for season 4 or 5.

Daniele doesn't work as a "main" character because he's too tied up into Issa. They have shown exactly zero scenes of him having a life or subplots outside of her.

Have some of you seen the show Girls? When Hannah (the main character) broke up with Adam, Adam still stayed around on the show, because he helped give the show the "male perspective." I see it being the exact same way with Insecure. Plus, just thinking about ratings, there is no way Issa is going to write off the enthusiastic "teamlawrence" fanbase that tunes in every week.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I think Daniel takes Lawrence's spot as the 'main male' character, if that makes sense. They're not gonna follow Lawrence having threesomes and smashing out chicks any more bc he's not really tied to the main characters any more. It'd be wack if they have Molly or Kellie randomly interacting with buddy throughout LA. I hope they don't do that :francis:

I don't think it makes sense. Any Daniel scene will be an Issa scene as well. Lawrence, as a character had scenes separate from Issa and that is what they would have to do with Daniel to have him take his spot. And they gave no indication during the season that expanding his character is something they want to do.

Aparta gave Lawrence advice for his career that we still haven't seen play out yet. Issa and her writers, imo, are not going to pass on the chance to write a black man working in the tech industry so they can write about a black man making music.

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Lil Rel overrated Molly, probably because she was a fellow black attorney. I've seen this with my lawyer friends way too often, but she ain't the one to try and wife.

Keeping Lawrence in the main cast could lead to this show jumping the shark, his character doesn't fit anymore.

Lol but in general this show showcases how folks overrate themselves in the dating market, and the economic realities that come with dating in the Black community were unfortunately only slightly touched upon. Dude on YT tonetalks has a video about this element of the show, I mean both my experience and data backs up the notion that shyt is much worse for the typical black professional living on the coasts.
How so?

breh there's a lot of shyt they can still do with Lawrence. He took mad L's this season with his rebound/dating/one night stand escapades. Show him continuing to grow and understand himself better post break-up, maturing almost.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey

Rather him not, but where do you go? He had his self revelation moment and got closure with Issa. All paths over two seasons came to that point in the finale for both characters. He's on a clean relationship slate now. How do you keep Lawrence around, interacting with the other main characters, and keep the theme of the show without seeming forced? And if he's not interacting with the other main characters then what's the end game? They're gonna expound on Tiffany + Derek relationship next, so maybe he ties in through Derek.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I swear they explicity said he was gay when they first introduced him...which I thought was season 1 in a scene at Issa's parents house, but imdb says he never appeared in season 1.

At any rate, in the premier of season 2, he shows up to Issa's house party and greets Amanda Diva by snapping his fingers and twitching his neck, thenn turns and says some slick shyt to Kelli. Hilarious sequence, but I dunno how anyone could think he's a straight man after that.
I straight up thought for some reason that it had been laid out that he was gay. Wasn't some other people theorizing that he was going to end up fukking Tiffany's husband at some point in here.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Rather him not, but where do you go? He had his self revelation moment and got closure with Issa. All paths over two seasons came to that point in the finale for both characters. He's on a clean relationship slate now. How do you keep Lawrence around, interacting with the other main characters, and keep the theme of the show without seeming forced? And if he's not interacting with the other main characters then what's the end game? They're gonna expound on Tiffany + Derek relationship next, so maybe he ties in through Derek.
He and Issa, going by the finale, are going to attempt being "friends." Former exes becoming platonic friends is a storyline unto itself. They tried doing that with the birthday party dinner that went to hell, but now they can address the awkwardness in a less angry/bitter way. But the whole "can men and women be just friends?" is something I can see Issa wanting to tackle, just like the other modern topics she has tackled.

There is a ton of comedy to be had with Lawrence and the other men on the show. Whether it's Derek and Chad, or Lawrence hanging out with Issa and Daniel after they agreed to just be friends.

Plus, there is still a lot of workplace drama for Lawrence to deal with.

I'm not going to sit here and write out a storyline but honestly, thinking there isn't anything left to explore seems like a lack of imagination.