Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
The structure of the finale is the exact same structure they can use going forward.

Lawerence, his tech job, and his group of male friends and dating adventures.

Issa, her social work job, and her group of friends and dating adventures.

Molly, her lawyer job, and her group of friends and dating adventures.

Those three are the main characters on the show. Those three provide the perspective of the show on three levels. Lawrence doesn't have to be interacting with Issa as a dating partner for him to have storylines.

Plus, in the finale Lawrence requested her as a "friend" and Issa smiled so that hints at them doing a "just friends" storyline with them in season 3. We've never seen them be friends. I'm sure Issa will enjoy writing a season about psuedo platonic male and female friendship. And there is always the possible reconciliation storyline for season 4 or 5.

Daniele doesn't work as a "main" character because he's too tied up into Issa. They have shown exactly zero scenes of him having a life or subplots outside of her.

Have some of you seen the show Girls? When Hannah (the main character) broke up with Adam, Adam still stayed around on the show, because he helped give the show the "male perspective." I see it being the exact same way with Insecure. Plus, just thinking about ratings, there is no way Issa is going to write off the enthusiastic "teamlawrence" fanbase that tunes in every week.

Agreed. Just like Adam, Lawrence is too good of a character to just toss aside.

Plus, they've given Lawrence quite a bit of screen time without the other main characters (Molly and Issa). I'm not sure there's a scene on the show that doesn't feature one of those 3. He's a main character at this point. They've done too much developing him to throw him away imo

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
I don't think it makes sense. Any Daniel scene will be an Issa scene as well. Lawrence, as a character had scenes separate from Issa and that is what they would have to do with Daniel to have him take his spot. And they gave no indication during the season that expanding his character is something they want to do.

Aparta have Lawrence advice for his career that we still haven't seen play out yet. Issa and her writers, imo, are not going to pass on the chance to write a black man working in the tech industry so they can write about a black man making music.

that's fair. they could give his character some depth in the upcoming season. to your point tho - he is attached to Issa. I don't think Aparna will be back, unfortunately. She gave good advice, and was good for Lawrence. But I think her run is up. It would be good to see the black STEM professional perspective, but I think we're going to see more of Daniel making his Soundcloud beats

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
He and Issa, going by the finale, are going to attempt being "friends." Former exes becoming platonic friends is a storyline unto itself. They tried doing that with the birthday party dinner that went to hell, but now they can address the awkwardness in a less angry/bitter way. But the whole "can men and women be just friends?" is something I can see Issa wanting to tackle, just like the other modern topics she has tackled.

There is a ton of comedy to be had with Lawrence and the other men on the show. Whether it's Derek and Chad, or Lawrence hanging out with Issa and Daniel after they agreed to just be friends.

Plus, there is still a lot of workplace drama for Lawrence to deal with.

I'm not going to sit here and write out a storyline but honestly, thinking there isn't anything left to explore seems like a lack of imagination.

I'm going off the idea Lawrence was an extension of Issa's storyline, rather than being a main story himself. I mean yea he had his own scenes but those scenes ultimately lead to him realizing his own shortcomings and coming full circle with main character Issa. I took the friend request as a sign he stopped holding a grudge. Them being hang-out friends next season would be the most unrealistic thing this shows done lol so I hope that doesn't happen. I'm not saying I can't see a Lawrence storyline going forward. I'm curious how you do it without it feeling tacked on. :manny:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I'm going off the idea Lawrence was an extension of Issa's storyline, rather than being a main story himself. I mean yea he had his own scenes but those scenes ultimately lead to him realizing his own shortcomings and coming full circle with main character Issa. I took the friend request as a sign he stopped holding a grudge. Them being hang-out friends next season would be the most unrealistic thing this shows done lol so I hope that doesn't happen. I'm not saying I can't see a Lawrence storyline going forward. I'm curious how you do it without it feeling tacked on. :manny:

I'm hang-out friends right now with a girl I dated for years. My inner circle is filled with people that used to date as well.

And it's not like the show hasn't already tried to get them together as "hang out' friend. Both Lawrence and Issa were invited to the birthday dinner, because that circle has connections together that won't stop just because Lawrence and Issa broke up. Derrick still hangs out with Lawrence and their group still gets together. A sign of maturation would be former exes being able to hang out. Or at least the attempt to.

Not sure why you would find that as the most unrealistic thing the show has done:yeshrug:Seems like it fits right in with the kind of modern relationship dynamics they like to cover.

Last edited:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
The Lawrence character is probably either done or will be on an extreme hiatus to be brought back later down the line. I don't see how he comes back next season after he and the main character seemingly got their closure. The show is about Issa and Molly, all of the characters revolve around those 2.

I just hope they're written to be better people next season. I appreciate realism and understand that we're all flawed but they don't have to be this dysfunctional and unlikeable. I do give credit to the writing for accurately depicting the fate of these kind of women. It would be even more problematic if they were displaying this behavior while being depicted as winning. I'd just rather see less dysfunction and more likeability. This show is a great opportunity to show some real black love in multiple forms. Just about every relationship depicted on the show is unhealthy to a certain extent.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
The Lawrence character is probably either done or will be on an extreme hiatus to be brought back later down the line. I don't see how he comes back next season after he and the main character seemingly got their closure. The show is about Issa and Molly, all of the characters revolve around those 2.

Nah

Oville

Pro
Daps

I just hope they're written to be better people next season. I appreciate realism and understand that we're all flawed but they don't have to be this dysfunctional and unlikeable. I do give credit to the writing for accurately depicting the fate of these kind of women. It would be even more problematic if they were displaying this behavior while being depicted as winning. I'd just rather see less dysfunction and more likeability. This show is a great opportunity to show some real black love in multiple forms. Just about every relationship depicted on the show is unhealthy to a certain extent.

For whatever reason I don't feel Issa's gonna go past 3 seasons with this show. If my prediction is correct than he'll be back next season. If she plans to go past the 3rd season I think he'll either be gone completely or be on a hiatus because their's no point in dragging out the ups and downs of the same relationship. Wouldn't make for compelling tv.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
For whatever reason I don't feel Issa's gonna go past 3 seasons with this show. If my prediction is correct than he'll be back next season. If she plans to go past the 3rd season I think he'll either be gone completely or be on a hiatus because their's no point in dragging out the ups and downs of the same relationship. Wouldn't make for compelling tv.
Girls did it for 6 seasons and Issa Rae has already shown me she's a better writer than Lena Dunham. The Issa-Lawrence dynamic is the back bone of the show just like the Hannah-Adam dynamic was the back bone of Girls. If anything Issa can start developing more characters than just Issa, Molly and Lawrence. I want to see the insecurities of the rest of the cast. Painting the rest of the characters as having perfect lives thus far makes great sense as it serves to making the insecurities of the main characters that much more obvious. I feel like this season has served as a means for the main characters to become a lot more aware of their faults. Going forward I think we should start to get a little bit more intimate with characters who have been ancillary at best so far.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rather him not, but where do you go? He had his self revelation moment and got closure with Issa. All paths over two seasons came to that point in the finale for both characters. He's on a clean relationship slate now. How do you keep Lawrence around, interacting with the other main characters, and keep the theme of the show without seeming forced? And if he's not interacting with the other main characters then what's the end game? They're gonna expound on Tiffany + Derek relationship next, so maybe he ties in through Derek.
Issa Rae is a good writer, she'll figure that shyt out. They're not gonna abandon Lawrence the character from this show just based on the popularity of the show overall and his popularity as a character.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Girls did it for 6 seasons and Issa Rae has already shown me she's a better writer than Lena Dunham. The Issa-Lawrence dynamic is the back bone of the show just like the Hannah-Adam dynamic was the back bone of Girls. If anything Issa can start developing more characters than just Issa, Molly and Lawrence. I want to see the insecurities of the rest of the cast. Painting the rest of the characters as having perfect lives thus far makes great sense as it serves to making the insecurities of the main characters that much more obvious. I feel like this season has served as a means for the main characters to become a lot more aware of their faults. Going forward I think we should start to get a little bit more intimate with characters who have been ancillary at best so far.
Yeah I've already seen theories about them expanding Issa's brother and Derick and Tiffany's characters.

I can see them also expanding on Kelly's character since it's been said she has quickly become a fan favorite.

Overall, there is so much potential for this show to expand the scope past it being just a show about who Issa and Molly are dating.

Daps

I think Issa set up doing exactly this with the whole Tiffany ain't at Issa's watching Due North like Derek said she was plus the man at work Derek "got rid of" plus them struggling to have a baby, then it just happening, plus him sleeping at a hotel....etc. I think Tiffany and Derek are going to feature prominently in season 3. Lawrence may not be as featured, but I think he'll be there cuz he seems to be one of Derek's few friends (plus they spent to much time developing him to just bush him like that).

Edit::snoop:

Last edited: