Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Watching the finale now. Kelli is a bit much this episode.

Tiffany and Derek still the unrivaled heroes of this show, even if they bougie as fukk.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
So yall dont got any other suggestions for black shows.

Damn brehs and sistas. Yall letting me down :mjcry:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Your analysis describes a character from @Ziggiy web series Asha. She was cool with doing the minimum requirements asked of her and got a bit testy when her boss asked her why she was cool with it. Hopefully in the future, like on awkward black girl, Issa seeks out better rather than stick with her dead in job. I can see already her & Daniel's arrangement not panning out.
@Ziggiy, post that link breh breh

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
nikkas hoedar is off when they start going outside of their race. Like you can't cuff these hoes. Shorty was sounding like Alicia Keys and shyt.

:ohhh: profound observation

EDIT: to expound on this point further, I don't give a damn how fly a hoe is. The way she talked about how screech was funny and smart and how she fukked buddy more than once cause they were drunk all cadual woulda made me leave her at that damn table by herself. :hhh:

Got Damn just about every female on this show is a damn thot. :damn:

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
aparna aint even all that. yall act like yall never seen an indian bytch before :gucci:
THey rarely see ones that like nikkas. I seen all types of women who liked the kid when I was young. It's not a big deal, they are low on the totem pole to be frank. Of all Asian women, very attractive Malay girls were the best and they didn't come close to sistas of any hue.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
:ohhh: profound observation
I seen this too many times being in a white area where nikkas is fukking everything. Black, white, latina, etc. The common practice was brehs stayed having a weak hoedar on non-Black women but for Black women, the hoedar was next level. nikkas knew all of the details. With non-Blacks, it's like they don't even ask or want to ask. Some of these brehs weren't even c00ns hi-key.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
THey rarely see ones that like nikkas. I seen all types of women who liked the kid when I was young. It's not a big deal, they are low on the totem pole to be frank. Of all Asian women, very attractive Malay girls were the best and they didn't come close to sistas of any hue.
You tripping, those are the worst imo. Best chicks from Asia are Indian or Bangali but they got nothing on sisters and I agree with you there.

CantStop

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They need to just make this show about Lawrence. shyt seems wayyyyyyyyyyy more interesting centered around him. The first part of this episode was entertaining.
Some of these folks saying "Lawrence isn't need for season 3" :mindblown: . His life is way more lit than Issa. Hell, I rather watch a show based off Molly than Issa.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Some of these folks saying "Lawrence isn't need for season 3" :mindblown: . His life is way more lit than Issa. Hell, I rather watch a show based off Molly than Issa.

Fam, Lawrence has more depth and more going on than the whole cast. Molly's stuff is interesting but they would rather show her keeping it super thotty with Dro. Like how many episodes will it be with her finding a legit dude, somewhat warming up to him and then finding a reason to diss him for Dro. This Toni Childs on steroids is played yo. I dunno if I would tolerate a show based on Molly unless they gave her more depth because she's a two trick pony: trying to maneuver in work and then sabotaging her personal life, with the underlying factor being her as this thot with corporate sensibilities.

I'm pleased the finale didnt have any rapping from Issa but that gentrification shyt came from outta nowhere and feels forced even though its a very real thing in alot of places including LA/Inglewood. But where the hell was that theme all season. That alone could fill up a whole season because all of the characters could deal with it in different ways since some of them clearly have alot of money (Molly) while some don't have shyt (Issa), along with a few in the middle but they'd all be affected by one way or another.

With that said, Issa is the weakest of the main characters. Tasha and homegirl from work have proven that they could be superior GF material for Lawrence than her even tho Lawrence clearly has some bootleg PTSD over being cheated on and now is keeping an eye out on homeboy at work. This workplace romance shyt seems like a no-no regardless of the chick. They all work too close to each other. And also, when it comes to work, Issa seemed genuinely shocked (but not more shocked than the gay dude) that a promotion was given out. Now, i don't know if she thought she deserved it but Issa has shown like 7% interest in work these entire 2 seasons. She doesnt deserve shyt and only caved to expanding the program at school just to keep the peace and not make the vice principal look crazy.

Overall, a good episode, but Issa/Molly/Kelli with this "nikka" stuff is just not needed. First you see issa with a "nikka" sweatshirt for no fukkin reason like that damn Nas album. No one understood then and no one gets it now. I suppose she was making a statement but its a wack on considering the language that comes out of her mouth. It makes her/Molly look very non-feminine and not even masculine. They just sound dumb as fukk.

I dunno. This weekend a couple of chicks told me the show is relatable but coming from them i was like :francis: because they are ratchet as fukk, so go figure. The high points of this show for me continue to be the music. I like that they had the Tyler track in this last episode and that they gave Steve Lacy some love on the previous joint. This show isn't no where near as good as Atlanta when it comes to themes, storylines and execution. Its like when folks compared Power to Empire like that was a legit argument. Still, Insecure is salvageable, but not with Issa as the focus. Because her shyt is predictable. She will sabotage her life to oblivion, Lawrence will get super close to a female and she will miraculously resurrect herself and they wind up together (which is totally fine, I guess). But if I wanna see predictable, I'll watch the Cosby show because those characters were built to overcome anything but also they were lovable. Issa (and Molly) don't come off as lovable but don't even fit that comedic anti-hero role either.

Look at Earn from Atlanta. He's not lovable because he's likely sabotaged his own life, but you see the human in him. You see that he wants to make shyt right and he KNOWS his limits. Just peep how his and Issa's paths diverged. A determined Earn with to go sleep in a storage unit (and swallow his pride) and plan his next move while Issa went to sleep at the crib of the same dude who she blew her relationship over with. And who were her and ol dude kidding with that sleep on the couch shyt. You know he beat 2 seconds after the credits started rolling.