Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all peep how Tiffany wasn't where Derrick said she was while they were watching that show? :jbhmm:
:ohhh:

Y'all sound silly like women don't have sex lol
At least she was honest
Eh. Was it episode 1 or 2 when they talked about her fukking the other co-worker. It was something to the extent of this work event where everyone gets drunk and makes a mistake. She said something to the effect of her fukking dude and that being her mistake.

To Lawrence and the viewers it sounded like a one time thing. This episode, the shyt went from a one time thing to them being fukk buddies. He went from an annoying dude that was a mistake to a smart, funny dude that she fukked every time she wanted some dikk:manny:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Tasha was watching a show and he wanted to smash u sick
Nyggas just calling Tasha a hoodrat off nothing can't even give one solid example
Aparna was only interested in him
Lawrence was the one making false accusations cuz he was insecure
Was scared to even talk about it sounding like a simp "so what u like about him"
Who says that lol
I'ma let u cook tho
I disagree but I see where you are coming from but that's not what was going down.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
#TeamLawrence y'all took mad L's all season that completely undid the W he got at the end of last season. fukked up with Tasha, fukked up with Aparna, his app is dead, apologized to Issa after she cheated on him and sent her a friend request? :scust:

And y'all ain't getting your win back since this was more than likely his final episode. :umad:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
One more thought on the Aparna/Lawrence car convo... I wish they didn't write it like they did. It made Lawrence come off SUPER LAME and insecure (npi). He aint even know who she was texting. I get why his character would flip out but I wish there was more evidence to lead it there.

I was hoping they'd go another direction with it. I was hoping that he'd see how absorbed she was into her phone and then realize that they didn't have a real connection. To me that's a more realistic scenario, because you can enjoy someone's company and convo in short spurts but then after awhile realize yall don't really have a connection. And the "being in your phone and not in the moment" is a real problem for our generation.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think one of the tells of a great television show is the finale, the truly great shows I think, the finale always feels like the show can walk away, and be complete. No cheap "cliffhangers", no dramatic reveals, no "tune in next year", that plague a lower class of television.

This finale was like that, though obviously they will be back next year, which I welcome, because it's easily my favorite show, (besides Gomorrah), of the last 2 years or so, and deserves a spot all time in terms of it's category. Honestly, has kind of made it's own lane, obviously a dramedy, but few in it's class.

This show really exposes a really ugly side of men, in terms of comments I've read, which assumedly exist offline ( I should just say people) The show is all about the flaws, the insecurities of all of us, and trying to show people those flaws, and we can all take comfort, take joy, and take laughter from them. This isn't about taking sides in a gender war. Or pushing stereotypes. Nevertheless, brilliant season, and finale worked in all the places it needed too. Like life, it's imperfect, and the pursuit of that is what drives most of us I think.

The point in the car scene was he just assumed, and didn't even ask, or when confronted, admit his insecurity and explain/apologize. Everyone gets insecure about that kind of thing, I'd imagine, we are all constantly mirroring each other with our phones, trying to play it cool, but secretly we believe the other to be texting someone else. You just have to communicate these things.

Loose bits:

*The marriage part didn't really get me, I knew the show wouldn't go for cheap sentiment, I thought it was nice touch, (very La La Land inspired, I'd think) of expectations and reality.

*Their conversation was all about maturity, emotional and otherwise, honesty, and forgiveness. That's the heart of the show, in terms of relationships. Pay attention.

*Love the "Morocco" scenes with Molly and Issa, (You gotta Morrocan mans body lol), their friendship is the shows emotional center, despite the men in their lives

*Of course Molly is still seeing Dro, that's to be expected. Dysfunction on that scale never ends well, or quickly.

*They bused me to the finish line

*Tiffany and Derek are insufferable

*Due North has been hilarious all season

* Of course Daniel is still there for Issa, the relationship between those two has always been very close. Ironically, when she first started seeing Daniel, she was unsure about his "status", but dude has been 100, one of the more stable and reliable people in her life, next to Molly.

I also wanted to add, look at the show, and if possible your own relationships, in terms of the degree of importance people, and probably yourself put on possession and possiveness, which really drive a lot of the show's conflicts. I think the tendency to be possessive is what fuels a lot of irrational anger and resentment, obviously, you can't treat everything like a one night stand. I try to look at everyone I meet (dating wise) as individual experiences, of people who may or may not be in my life, maybe for 6 weeks, maybe 2 nights, maybe 15 years. I think the labeling and latching on is a really fascinating subject, not that you don't meet people whom you'd love to have in your life forever, but how realistic is that?

You can't just sum people up as exes and boyfriends, these are people, flawed and imperfect always.

Last edited:

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
One more thought on the Aparna/Lawrence car convo... I wish they didn't write it like they did. It made Lawrence come off SUPER LAME and insecure (npi). He aint even know who she was texting. I get why his character would flip out but I wish there was more evidence to lead it there.

I was hoping they'd go another direction with it. I was hoping that he'd see how absorbed she was into her phone and then realize that they didn't have a real connection. To me that's a more realistic scenario, because you can enjoy someone's company and convo in short spurts but then after awhile realize yall don't really have a connection. And the "being in your phone and not in the moment" is a real problem for our generation.
Nah it was ok what he did writing wise. Hince the show is called insecure. After finding out the girl he digging fukked a dude from work multiple times and still laughs and jokes with the cat then him telling his homies about it. Lawrence is gonna act the way he did in the car. We got to be honest Lawrence is a decent dude but he truly is a sucka and a goofy at the same time.

The thing that got me mad was him actually apologizing and giving her a out for cheating on him. That's a L but even then he could still pull out a win with a goodbye and be done with it but NO his simp mark ass goes and sends a friend request too add issa back in his life while she takes a Uber to live with the nikka she cheated on him with. Smh. Ain't no coming back from that.

3rdLetter

Pushin afros back to '76
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Qnz, NYC
When I realized it was a quick daydream
tenor.gif

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Did they show all the episodes of Due North after the actual live airing? I watched it on the HBO Go app and they played every episode from through out the season in completion (they're only like a minute long, but more than what they show during the show)... Subversive and hilarious in the way the TV and talk radio shows are in the Grand Theft Auto universe ... That and Lawrence's friend that he stayed with, the short cat, were the funniest parts of the show