Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
Nah. He could have been like dude is ugly or broke just like I was. Theres a reason Lawrence mocked Daniel being a producer and implied he wasn't a gentleman because of it. There is no other reason to question Daniel's character after pointing out his occupation. Its classist.

Maybe, but i always looked at it as more of a male ego thing ... we've all listened to hip hop songs where the rapper talmbout fuxkin groupies and jumpoffs and projecting it to be "your" girl

Lawrence's ego was hurt cuz he felt like he became a punchline in a club song, and that the woman he took ring shopping with allowed herself to be used like a disposal by a producer

of course he doesn't know their (issa/daniel) dynamic, but often times our imagination/projection is worse than the reality :manny:

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
How long would you stay in a relationship with a terrible partner? i find it hard to cape for someone who chose to stay and cheat on said partner instead of leaving them. They are terrible correct?

what it seems to me is that people like you think he deserves what he got because he is generally a "lame".

Many women, both good catches and train wrecks, stay in long term relationships well beyond the expiration date. This is not abnormal...although it should be.

There's only so many times people can state the Issa should've left a long time ago. Issa should not have cheated. Lawrence was a terrible boyfriend. There are no victims. That's just my POV.

Last edited:

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
You must have just joined the convo. I dont like anything about Issa except her hair and skin. Molly should have dumped her right after Lawrence did. I say this damn near every epi.

And Im not a breh.

Watching the marathon right now and the episode after Molly and Dro fukk for the first time, Molly is explaining the to Issa that he was the only friend she had that was there for her no matter what. Molly knows Issa is a shytty friend.

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Many women, both good catches and train wrecks, stay in long term relationships well beyond the expiration date. This is not abnormal...although it should be.

There's only so many times people can state the Issa should've left a long time ago. Issa should not have cheated. Lawrence was a terrible boyfriend. There are no victims. That's just my POV.

It's stated so many times because it's bottom line common sense. Issa could have avoided this all had she done the responsible thing and ended their relationship. Lawrence was a bad boyfriend and you reward bad relationships with your absence, not sticking around and allowing them to take you for granted.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I really don't get y'all making it into a class thing though. Some people just ain't comfortable around certain scenes. It seems like y'all are making it out to be that because a party was blacker that it means it's low class. Hell I got a uncle that's a legit millionaire and they stay throwing parties that look just like that BBQ. Lawrence just seems more nerdy and uptight. I don't view it as a class thing but just more of a cultural thing of what types of people he feels more comfortable in.

It's right in your post, "some people just ain't comfortable around certain scenes", but why is that? In his case specifically. The show goes out of it's way to subtly highlight that. Why would he be less comfortable at the BBQ? I am one of those people who is probably secretly slightly uncomfortable whether I am at a cookout party like that, or in a modern art laced penthouse party, I don't know where I "really" belong, but people would never see that, unless I told them. Dude couldn't hang there. He didn't want to.

That's why I used quotation marks, because it's deeper than finances, which is why the term "classism" was used by Gold Coast. It's true that you can't always judge someone's finances or socioeconomic status off things like that, but you can make an educated guess. It's the cultural norms too. Everyone's backgrounds are different, but when you exclude good people based on things like that, it's troubling. It may not even be something he is aware of.

Also, unrelated, but I think Daniel's whole response and apology has been confused by Issa and the audience, granted, it was a bad apology, and it should have been easy, (just directly say you don't see her as being demeaned, and that was not your intention, and that's not what sex between the two of you is about) but the point, I think, that the show is making is Daniel didn't even know why Issa felt so disrespected. That's important. Men often don't get, or act with empathy where sex is concerned. His comment about "being even", was I think in reaction to being humiliated and demeaned when he showed up at that party. It was a horrible way to phrase it.

The hang up on the Lawerence and Iss relationship is painfully hilarious at this point, you don't HAVE TO TAKE SIDES. There were mutual problems. You don't have to assign blame and quantify each hurtful act.

And Issa and Molly friendship? Is the most secure on the show. Those little moments after she walked out of the bathroom are supposed to convey that even in their little fight, they are there for each other. Some audience members seem to be very emotionally just out of touch.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
#LawrenceHive I must say we collected a few wins this episode :ehh:

we may be able to get to .500 and salvage the season :salute: we cant get cocky go this one aint over yet doe :ohlawd:

Molly low key trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and finish at the bottom of the standings this season :russ: L after L since expansion team Dro entered the division :russ:

Issa breakdown at the end :wow:

#LawrenceHive we play our cards right we might fukk around and win the division with this weak competition :ehh:

Last edited:

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
just realized where i knew Candace from...she use to be on that show The Game back in the day...:ohhh:

GettyImages-654614944-443x570.jpg

Gabrielle+Dennis+2017+Essence+Black+Women+T1cRnPuAN_5l.jpg

game68.jpg

8d14278e.jpg

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
How this bytch Issa gon trash her OWN crib because of her OWN thotty behavior boomerang-ing back over to her over and over again. First, she has no car and can't pay for it to be fixed, her $ is non existent, she has to pay to replace the crib she just trashed AND they raised her rent. To top it off, she needs to spend the $ to get her wall/ceiling fixed properly after the fire.

Meanwhile, Lawrence has a new crib, decent whip, tech job money and a new chick who appears to be stable across the board. Issa smashing Daniel put her down a path she was already on.

She wants to be a "player" and have a rotation but is just a thot with no outside ambition. shyt goes beyond being "awkward" because awkward bytches that do what she does are just hoes at a certain point. She fukked her neigbor and he didn't really want her, she went to the party and dude she met on tinder dissed her voice/appearance, she tried to push up on the Latino dude who just wanted to know her and when she went back to Daniel she got mad because he smutted her out like any other chicks

Issa doesn't know what she wants to be. But no one is buying her bullshyt. It's just like when Tasha screamed Lawrence out for trying to be a fake ass nice dude who just wants to play the field. Dude snapped back into reality with yet quickness because she was RIGHT. Issa trying to do the same "playa" shyt and it looks dumb and she has nothing to fall back on becuase it's not like she truly gave a shyt about her job. All of season 1 she was mailing it in at work until she thought she was gonna get fired. Now she cares because the white chick feels some type of way about the principal. But at least he got some fukkin kids to show up.

Mr. Riddim

All Star
Daps
I just hope Issa ain't pregnant mayne. I distinctively remember Lawrence nuttin all up in her episode 1. I feel they gonna close the season with her taking a pregnancy test. And the way she been out chea, lord knows who the pops is. I hope I'm wrong.:sadcam:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So when shorty wakes up to her apartment straight fukkED up what's the reaction gonna be? :what: what's the point of doing all that to your own shyt? Like I know rage and have had rage issues before but I've never intentionally ducked my own shyt up like that. Like that's the point?
I've done it before. :snoop:

Not to that extent, but I've thrown my cell phone against a wall and broken it, I've thrown my remote into my television and fukked it up. Of course, I was about 16 or 17 at the time, so it's probably not even similar situations.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rappers have made degrading rap music and been called out on it. Whrn rappers make uplifting music it has been noted (Ye and Jesus Walks, Pac and Keep Your Head Up). Saying this thruth is not classist. What has Daniel done to have his character questioned? Why did Lawrence assume Daniel wasnt a gentleman? Daniel has been more of a gentleman than Lawrence has. But because he's in the tech industry he feels he can make these type of aasumptions.
Y'all may be going overboard with this shyt anyway.

Is Lawrence talking shyt about Daniel because he's a DJ, or because that's the guy that fukked his girlfriend? If Daniel had been an accountant Lawrence would've been shyt talking Daniel but would've just called him a nerd instead. Same thought process regarding Issa/Tasha. When people are dealing with people they've felt wronged them or threaten them, they'll use whatever it is to go at them.

I'd have to see more examples of the characters shytting on other people when they have no reason to for me to completely jump on this classism thing as far as this show goes.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I just hope Issa ain't pregnant mayne. I distinctively remember Lawrence nuttin all up in her episode 1. I feel they gonna close the season with her taking a pregnancy test. And the way she been out chea, lord knows who the pops is. I hope I'm wrong.:sadcam:
:lupe: