Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I didnt like when Issa implied Tasha was basic when she literally knows nothing about her except that shes thick, wears long weaves, and works at a bank. Then Lawrence reluctantly agreeing to go to her bbq but once there, the 'Blackness' of it made him want to leave immediately. I think there were men playing cards, a girl dancing for her social media page, men grilling....he saw that and was so taken back he had to leave without even eating. Now he's implying Daniel isnt a gentleman because he's a music producer when he's been nothing short of a great friend to Issa. Even showed up to mentor her students and attend their fundraiser last season.

These are good people they're shytting on but because they maybe didnt go to college or have salaried positions, its like the show is implying they're not worthy.

This is how a lot of college educated blacks act. I guess it didn't bother me because it was relatable. Many of my friends from school are elitist.

I feel you on Lawrence at the BBQ tho. I've personally never liked his character from jump street.

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
cape for homewreckers brehs

be bad at judging character brehs

You must have just joined the convo. I dont like anything about Issa except her hair and skin. Molly should have dumped her right after Lawrence did. I say this damn near every epi.

And Im not a breh.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Nah. He could have been like dude is ugly or broke just like I was. Theres a reason Lawrence mocked Daniel being a producer and implied he wasn't a gentleman because of it. There is no other reason to question Daniel's character after pointing out his occupation. Its classist.
Don't agree :manny:

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I see Issa and Lawerence eventually settle on being friends and moving forward. I can see Lawrence eventually getting with the other chic, but not sure it will last. Issa character still a work in progress, so I expect more fukkkery considering she's the star, but eventually I see her stringing Daniel along until she decide to give it a real shot.

Season 3 will be amusing.

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
Stop it. This probably isnt even his main gig. Even then, he's a producer. Rappers get that stereotype because of the actual words coming our of their mouths (bytches, hoes, thots)... Nobody is out here thinking Jus Blaze is of bad character just because he makes music.

Lawrence keeps showing his ass and yall keep making excuses. Hopefully y'all only do this for fictional characters.

But music producers have terrible reps and are known for screwing the talent before bigger artists even get to know them. Any producer would tell you the same thing. That's why the phrase is "fukking for tracks" and not "fukking for features."

Don't have any, but I can see that from posts in this thread.....All in rush to take a side, often aligning with their gender, it's very telling and somewhat troubling about our society, when the show is clearly highlighting the flaws of PEOPLE, not just as men and women, but people rush to divide and draw lines on the proverbial battle field.

Another response to classism, is it seems the show knows that, and is addressing some of those issues, maybe not as fast, or deeply as we may want. It's def. shown that Lawerence was much more comfortable at the Bristol Farms in Brentwood or whatever, than he was a "lower" socioeconomic scale party. That was never really addressed again, though you can tie it to his inability to accurately read his white bosses right?

Sane people think that both Issa & Lawrence are dysfunctional. However, it may appear that more people are taking sides b/c some (like myself) have to constantly defend our position of why Lawrence was a terrible partner b/c he is viewed as the ultimate victim by some. I never have to argue when I critique Issa or Molly. People are weird.

FukyourFort

All Star
Daps
But music producers have terrible reps and are known for screwing the talent before bigger artists even get to know them. Any producer would tell you the same thing. That's why the phrase is "fukking for tracks" and not "fukking for features."

Sane people think that both Issa & Lawrence are dysfunctional. However, it may appear that more people are taking sides b/c some (like myself) have to constantly defend our position of why Lawrence was a terrible partner b/c he is viewed as the ultimate victim by some. I never have to argue when I critique Issa or Molly. People are weird.

How long would you stay in a relationship with a terrible partner? i find it hard to cape for someone who chose to stay and cheat on said partner instead of leaving them. They are terrible correct?

what it seems to me is that people like you think he deserves what he got because he is generally a "lame".

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Don't have any, but I can see that from posts in this thread.....All in rush to take a side, often aligning with their gender, it's very telling and somewhat troubling about our society, when the show is clearly highlighting the flaws of PEOPLE, not just as men and women, but people rush to divide and draw lines on the proverbial battle field.

Another response to classism, is it seems the show knows that, and is addressing some of those issues, maybe not as fast, or deeply as we may want. It's def. shown that Lawerence was much more comfortable at the Bristol Farms in Brentwood or whatever, than he was a "lower" socioeconomic scale party. That was never really addressed again, though you can tie it to his inability to accurately read his white bosses right?
I really don't get y'all making it into a class thing though. Some people just ain't comfortable around certain scenes. It seems like y'all are making it out to be that because a party was blacker that it means it's low class. Hell I got a uncle that's a legit millionaire and they stay throwing parties that look just like that BBQ. Lawrence just seems more nerdy and uptight. I don't view it as a class thing but just more of a cultural thing of what types of people he feels more comfortable in.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
How long would you stay in a relationship with a terrible partner? i find it hard to cape for someone who chose to stay and cheat on said partner instead of leaving them. They are terrible correct?

what it seems to me is that people like you think he deserves what he got because he is generally a "lame".
I think dude is a lame but have been defending him because in my mind nobody deserves to be cheated on. I've never believed in blaming the person who got cheated on. The statement yeah he/she cheated "BUT" or "BECAUSE".... stays being uttered to defend the cheating. Just leave the relationship.

FukyourFort

All Star
Daps
I think dude is a lame but have been defending him because in my mind nobody deserves to be cheated on. I've never believed in blaming the person who got cheated on. The statement yeah he/she cheated "BUT" or "BECAUSE".... stays being uttered to defend the cheating. Just leave the relationship.

The bolded is my only point as well. Issa character was well within her rights to dead the relationship with the fukk shyt Lawrence was doing but that gets nullified when you stay AND cheat.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I see alot of people keep saying Lawrence is only comfortable around a certain type of people :mjpls: but one thing I noticed was when Tasha invited him to the cookout, she just left and didn't introduce him to anyone. Lawrence on the other hand introduced his new friend as soon as they sat down.
Lawrence was at the cookout for literally like 5 minutes.:gucci:
He dipped off so fast you could've blinked and not notice he was there at all. He ain't give Tasha time to introduce him to everyone. They were still setting things up.