Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
What many are doing in here, is what many do in "real life", blame someone, evaluate everything through that point of view, and continue. Life is way more complicated than that, the characters are all flawed, as we are, and people can have different flaws then yourself, and that's ok too. I would probably never cheat, because I am really direct and pragmatic, but I can understand how that happens in these, and other situations.

It's really easy to label people, and evaluate complex emotional subjects in black/white thinking, but it's a very limited perspective. Not just with the cheating, but with the whole show, so harsh and judgemental, about everyday situations, it's a very poor reflection of sexism, I think, how quick people are to bash the women on this show, who purposefully have made themselves very vulnerable, and very human, and very flawed.

Last edited:

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
See, I disagree. In relationships, we get caught up in trying to assign blame or fault when in reality of every situation, every action causes a reaction. Men and women operate differently in the way that Android and iPhone software do. On the surface, it may seem as if they are similar but once examined, they are very different in how they function.

A few posts back, I touched on the double standards that exist in society for men and women. Lawrence, like many of man today, expects every woman to be everything. Issa can be a good person on paper. Intelligent, charming, witty and beautiful in the eyes of some, but as we see, she is awful at communication (job, friendship, relationship). Does it give her a license to cheat? Absolutely not; however, Lawrence should have realized what was at stake and he clearly does not excel in the area of having the foresight or the ability to think intuitively as evidenced this episode with the presentation and after his discussion with Tiffany's husband.

50 Cent's biggest song to date, In The Club, begins with what popular phrase? Go Shawty, it's Ya Birthday... Women LOVE to celebrate their birthdays. As some have mentioned in here before. You don't have to be rich or spend money but forgetting a woman's birthday is neglect. You neglect your skin, it will eventually begin to itch. Someone will scratch that itch.

I agree with the bolded, but took away something slightly different from the presentation.

I don't even think it was so much the app was outdated that was the issue being highlighted. I think the bigger issue highlighted was that Lawrence missed all of the subtext of his coworkers not liking his idea until it was explicitly pointed out by his coworker and then confirmed when they soft curved him on the feedback.

It's the same reason he missed out on the signs Issa was upset with their relationship. His intuition is trash.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand the mental gymnastics going on with this current discussion about whether Issa was wrong
and if she "technically" cheated or not because "the relationship was over in her eyes" so she was free to do so.

Issa and Lawrence both were responsible for the demise of their relationship but Issa cheated on him while in the relationship.
The assumption that the relationship was already over before Issa cheated, twice, is incorrect.
If the relationship was over as yall are saying, why did she react the way she did after Lawrence left?:jbhmm: She wanted forgiveness for her
actions and wanted her relationship back.

True, Lawrence didn't need to be in a relationship. She should have left him if she felt a certain way about it.
But let's not pardon Issa for cheating.

These discussion here and on social media are fascinating. Its like looking in the mind of cheaters and seeing how they justify their fukkery.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Anybody think Lawerence might not be in season 3(or just have a much smaller presence) based on how they setting up his character? :patrice:

Diddly Drogba

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#FreeEva
That shyt is so NOT true and you're correct when you said it's some 1990s shyt. They kinda pissed me off a little bit with the whole "black men run to white women because black women don't give head" thing. Bytch where?!? :what:

Then Issa acting all dramatic cause a lil cum got in her eye:comeon:

I also don't know any black women that hop from dikk to dikk like the show is depicting but I'm gonna let them cook:hubie:
:gucci::mjlol:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Anybody think Lawerence might not be in season 3(or just have a much smaller presence) based on how they setting up his character? :patrice:

viewership might drop off if the homie lawrence isn't featured at least in some shape, form or fashion. but, to be fair, Issa's new dude being featured ( :dame: ) might bring the crowd back. The fact that they've got the whole LawrenceHive going, can't see them throwing him in the bushes.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Few loose points:

Issa is broke because she is paying her whole rent, without half coming from Lawerence, right?

Something is off about Dro, maybe it's just the actor, but he comes off really manipulative, even if he's truly fond of Molly, he's always the sharper one in the exchange, more in control, and he knows it.

Really that's the word for somebody sharper and in more control. How about dominate and the man if the situation. What's wrong with being a strong willed man especially in a situation where he had to be strong to get her in bed.