Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Agreed, except I'd say Issa didn't 'know' it was dead either, that's why she copping pleas tryna save it AFTER she cheated.
She knew. She just didn't want to admit it. Facebook stalking Daniel, then begrudgingly going home to what she considered a loaf at home are classic cases of denial.

It is also what made the cheating that much easier because, in her mind, it was already over. It wasn't until after she cheated, a temporary feeling of guilt enhanced by the increased efforts made by Lawrence to make it work had Issa confused.

Maybe some of the women in the discussion can chime in on the following but I do believe that when a woman chooses to be in a relationship with a man, she does so because she believes that he is as good as it will get for her.

If she is out there entertaining other dudes, it's because you are NOT as good as it will get for her. Women choose men, not the other way around. I can only speak for myself but I am sure many of guys out here that know the signs of when a relationship is at its end and more often than not, it's women that relay those signals. On the contrary, it's also why so many guys will sit there all shocked like, ahh man, women ain't no good. We just broke up and a month later, I see her on social media hugged up with a new dude... Nah man, that dude has always been there, you just haven't....

Last edited:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
How was the relationship dead? Dead means over. If the relationship was dead/over before she slept with the other guy then it wouldn't have been cheating. They were still in a relationship before she slept wth the other guy which is why she initially lied about it and didn't admit it until dude became suspicious and confronted her. He blew up and killed/ended the relationship because she cheated.

Look, I'm not about to go back n forth arguing with you and your bitter black feminist perspective. My point here is that her cheating was not his fault. Both characters are flawed and could have been better significant others but only one cheated, and that person owns all of the responsibility for that.

She cheated because she's a cheater. Her character is just written as being that type of person. Dude could've been the perfect boyfriend and she still would've cheated because it's in her character. Look at how she's acting now. She's just an insecure selfish ho who likes to throw the pussie. It's not even that deep.

You sound like a woman. If the relationship was over, then why didn't end it officially so that she could do what she wanted? Why did she try and save the relationship if she thought that it was over? You people are feminine as fukk. I could seriously understand women taking this position, but gown men? :hhh:

You have a lot to learn my friend. Relationships arent like a basketball game where you have 4 quarters and overtime every now and then to decide the match. I live in NYC and I see people, just like Issa and Lawrence get into situation-ships that appear to be relationships when they are nothing further than roommates who have sex because it's too expensive to face the world by yourselves...Six months deep they are shacking up only to find out that they really don't like one another and then one person decides to be brave enough to step out and then you know how the rest goes. Calling people feminine is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I strongly suggest you open your eyes and mind for a second.

FukyourFort

All Star
Daps
How was the relationship dead? Dead means over. If the relationship was dead/over before she slept with the other guy then it wouldn't have been cheating. They were still in a relationship before she slept wth the other guy which is why she initially lied about it and didn't admit it until dude became suspicious and confronted her. He blew up and killed/ended the relationship because she cheated.

Look, I'm not about to go back n forth arguing with you and your bitter black feminist perspective. My point here is that her cheating was not his fault. Both characters are flawed and could have been better significant others but only one cheated, and that person owns all of the responsibility for that.

She cheated because she's a cheater. Her character is just written as being that type of person. Dude could've been the perfect boyfriend and she still would've cheated because it's in her character. Look at how she's acting now. She's just an insecure selfish ho who likes to throw the pussie. It's not even that deep.

You sound like a woman. If the relationship was over, then why didn't end it officially so that she could do what she wanted? Why did she try and save the relationship if she thought that it was over? You people are feminine as fukk. I could seriously understand women taking this position, but gown men? :hhh:

Dont worry they get it. They just want to give her a pass for cheating.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
When you dishonestly say "the relationship was already dead when she cheated", that's exactly what you're doing.

I don't believe it to be dishonest, in my opinion, the relationship was dead and I've articulated why I hold that opinion. You disagree and that's fine.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I'm done going back n forth with nikkas being purposely oblivious. What I said was clear as fukk to understand and completely fair.
Cats can't even chop it up about a fictional show on some real shyt. Cats bring their agendas into everything.
I don't believe it to be dishonest, in my opinion, the relationship was dead and I've articulated why I hold that opinion. You disagree and that's fine.
It's not an opinion. It's a fact that they were still together as a couple before dude found that she cheated. You're not allowed to disagree with facts.

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
I disagree. The relationship was dead before the cheating. Being in a relationship constitutes way more than couch shopping and the trivial crap those fools were dealing with before her indiscretions.

The relationship has been dead. He was just the last one to find out...

The relationship was dead before Issa cheated. Whether or not Lawrence shares blame in Issa cheating isn't something that can be answered with a simple yes or no, there's tons of context to weigh and it often goes ignored when discussing cheating.

This is the last time I going to discuss this topic because it gets brought once a week.

Issa was unhappy with Lawrence mainly because she feels like they are stuck and aren't going anywhere...along with not him not celebrating her birthday. Everything could of ended right there and Issa would have came out looking like the good guy. She flirts with and kisses Daniel...now here she is getting things from Daniel that she had not been getting from Lawrence. Things are awkward between Issa and Lawrence for awhile and once again she could have ended it with Lawrence and had no blood on her hands. At this point she had done some minor cheating, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a conversation. Now fast forward to an evening when Issa comes home and Lawrence is cooking dinner. Lawrence is getting upset with Issa because she is sitting on the couch eating, making a mess instead of eating at the table. This is where Lawrence apologizes for the neglect and her birthday and she forgives him...this is basically a clean slate. They both say they are in this together.....and after looking him in the eye she lies, then goes out and fukks another nikka :what: who does that

So in theory the relationship was on the rocks but not completely dead. After they made up, things were looking promising again until she fukked Daniel. When Lawrence confronts her, then it's dead. This is the issue I have with Issa, why say you're in it together and then go fukk Daniel... so since then it's been fukk Issa :mjgrin:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
This is the last time I going to discuss this topic because it gets brought once a week.

Issa was unhappy with Lawrence mainly because she feels like they are stuck and aren't going anywhere...along with not him not celebrating her birthday. Everything could of ended right there and Issa would have came out looking like the good guy. She flirts with and kisses Daniel...now here she is getting things from Daniel that she had not been getting from Lawrence. Things are awkward between Issa and Lawrence for awhile and once again she could have ended it with Lawrence and had no blood on her hands. At this point she had done some minor cheating, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a conversation. Now fast forward to an evening when Issa comes home and Lawrence is cooking dinner. Lawrence is getting upset with Issa because she is sitting on the couch eating, making a mess instead of eating at the table. This is where Lawrence apologizes for the neglect and her birthday and she forgives him...this is basically a clean slate. They both say they are in this together.....and after looking him in the eye she lies, then goes out and fukks another nikka :what: who does that

So in theory the relationship was on the rocks but not completely dead. After they made up, things were looking promising again until she fukked Daniel. When Lawrence confronts her, then it's dead. This is the issue I have with Issa, why say you're in it together and then go fukk Daniel... so since then it's been fukk Issa :mjgrin:
Yo good post. I had forgotten about that. There's no way the relationship was "dead" prior to her cheating.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I thought this debate started around whether or not Lawrence shared any blame in the end of the relationship tho. I can get behind the notion that Issa is 100% at fault for cheating, but they BOTH share responsibility in the demise of their relationship.

I can't see it like that. The relationship didn't end when she fukked Daniel. It ended when Lawerence found out about it. She did her dirt and tried to stay with him.

It's like if you were an employee who is always late but your supervisor let it slide. Than he groped you in the break room, you quit and everyone wants to talk about how you weren't really a good employee. fukk that gotta do with my supervisor crossing THAT line.

Edit: after reading further in the thread a lot of you guys are arguing that the relationship was over before she cheated. I see where you guys are coming from a bit more now.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
yall some fukk nikkas arguing about who was in the right.
at the end of the day ...the cheater (man or woman) is always in the wrong. its that simple. you are unhappy in a relationship? then sever ties, give the other party the benefit of being able to move on and do the dirt you want to do. its that simple...there is no grey area when it comes to something like this

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
yall some fukk nikkas arguing about who was in the right.
at the end of the day ...the cheater (man or woman) is always in the wrong. its that simple. you are unhappy in a relationship? then sever ties, give the other party the benefit of being able to move on and do the dirt you want to do. its that simple...there is no grey area when it comes to something like this

Are people really arguing that Issa wasn't at fault for cheating because that's different than what I've been seeing

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
People who bring up Lawrence having money while unemployed strike me as people who have never been in meaningful relationships where they've lived with their partner.

Issa is getting up every day to go into the world and get it while her "man" is stretched across the sofa doing whatever he feels like. They were basically roommates who had sex.

The point was whether Issa has been paying the rent alone the whole time he was unemployed. We agree that he was a Bum ass nikka for not working at all.