Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Daps
I wonder how sorry the guys in this thread would feel for Lawrence if Issa just left. Would he still be a victim?

No, if she was unhappy she had the right to communicate that and leave.

What makes her actions so detested by a lot of male viewers imo is not only did she cheat (after he started to get his shyt together again), but she consciously tried to hide it and all evidence showed that she would not have told the truth if Lawrence did not find out. Thats double the betrayal especially since given the nature of their social circle it would seem like he would be the last one to find out if at all.

Plus there is nuance to this, if she was not going to be upfront about her actions after the fact, but gets knocked up/catches something, how would she explain it to Lawrence? Wouldn't that lead to a rabbit hole of more lies? She was coming home and having guilt sex with Lawrence right after cheating, its borderline non consensual sex since Lawrence probably would not have agreed to do it if he knew of the context surrounding her actions right before it, etc ...

:manny:

I am a firm believer of transparency and I hold both genders to this standard imo. I don't even particularly like Lawrence that much as a character, this season specifically, but him bumming it out for 2 years living off of savings and unemployment =/= Issa deception. Its not remotely the same imo. If Issa left because she was unfulfilled she would have all the rights to do so 100%. But I feel like she was unhappy with her job and other aspects of her life as well, and a lot of it projected onto her relationship being the sole cause of her unhappiness, leading to the "itch to scratch" and her being regretful of it. And I do feel like if the roles were reversed a lot less people would be caping for Lawrence as they do for Issa. People often find out that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, I just don't like it when their indecisiveness affects other people.

Just my two cents.

On another note, this whole Daniel is catching feelings angle seems to be a set up for the swerve :jbhmm:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
This is what you call talking about it as she is running out the door to a see a new nikka...she didn't even take the time to explain herself or give him a chance to clarify.

You got it fam.

You made it like she was a mute and never said a thing. Granted delivery was horrible but it was more than you gave her credit for. Mind you this is the first episode so to make it seem like he was completely oblivious to the problem is disingenuous. :heh:

"Maybe she should have settled like I did." :aicmon:

"Da fuk?" :picard:

Great exchange. How did I forget that? :russ:

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Facts. Whether it is entertainment, money, attention, women want what you can provide. It's why traditional roles in society are important. I disagree that Tiffany's husband was caping for Issa. I think he was just providing Lawrence with knowledge about the double standard which is why he hit him with the "truthfully speaking" language. At Lawrence's age, he should KNOW that there is no such thing as unconditional love in today's world between man and woman.

As a grown man who has been in a few relationships, even spawning a kid from one, the thing that remains constant is that as a man, you must always be on. There are no down moments, no tears, no sulking, especially if you are dealing with women of a certain type (attractive).
This is a fact.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Sorry maybe I should just agree with you (and your non stated opinion) and we can spend this thread kissing each others asses and quoting each other :mjgrin:
Or maybe I could a fukk about that bullshyt you trying to sell. You either a woman or a simp.

No Alpha ain't buying that shyt you selling.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I think some of us need to watch the first season over. Seems Issa did talk to Lawrence about it and the nikka hadn't even finished his business plan and was "just getting his shyt together". lol Start at 14:55 .People see Lawrence with rose colored glasses. In the clip she says Lawrence has been getting his shyt together for 4 years. :deadmanny:

She was perfectly in the right to leave him at that moment and I'd have no complaints. It's the half in half out approach and eventually cheating that makes me judge her.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
You made it like she was a mute and never said a thing. Granted delivery was horrible but it was more than you gave her credit for. Mind you this is the first episode so to make it seem like he was completely oblivious to the problem is disingenuous. :heh:

"Maybe she should have settled like I did." :aicmon:

"Da fuk?" :picard:

Great exchange. How did I forget that? :russ:

That clip you showed backs up the point that he was oblivious. His whole reaction was him being caught off guard and acting like he had no idea what she was talking about. From that point he started showing more effort but she was already meeting up with the next man.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
No, if she was unhappy she had the right to communicate that and leave.

What makes her actions so detested by a lot of male viewers imo is not only did she cheat (after he started to get his shyt together again), but she consciously tried to hide it and all evidence showed that she would not have told the truth if Lawrence did not find out. Thats double the betrayal especially since given the nature of their social circle it would seem like he would be the last one to find out if at all.

Plus there is nuance to this, if she was not going to be upfront about her actions after the fact, but gets knocked up/catches something, how would she explain it to Lawrence? Wouldn't that lead to a rabbit hole of more lies? She was coming home and having guilt sex with Lawrence right after cheating, its borderline non consensual sex since Lawrence probably would not have agreed to do it if he knew of the context surrounding her actions right before it, etc ...

:manny:

I am a firm believer of transparency and I hold both genders to this standard imo. I don't even particularly like Lawrence that much as a character, this season specifically, but him bumming it out for 2 years living off of savings and unemployment =/= Issa deception. Its not remotely the same imo. If Issa left because she was unfulfilled she would have all the rights to do so 100%. But I feel like she was unhappy with her job and other aspects of her life as well, and a lot of it projected onto her relationship being the sole cause of her unhappiness, leading to the "itch to scratch" and her being regretful of it. And I do feel like if the roles were reversed a lot less people would be caping for Lawrence as they do for Issa. People often find out that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, I just don't like it when their indecisiveness affects other people.

Just my two cents.

On another note, this whole Daniel is catching feelings angle seems to be a set up for the swerve :jbhmm:

Fair enough, from the normal conversation I see regularly on this board I don't agree with that. I think a lot of blame would be on Issa for not "fulfilling her role." I see virtually no blame put on Lawrence. Everything he does seems to be glossed over. Even when Tiff's husband pointed out his short comings he and the fans rejected it. The result for sexual disloyalty seems to come down really harass on women and many times a "forgivable offense" for men. I am glad you don't feel that way however many people do. It just makes me what wonder if "sexual disloyalty" is the end all for women what is the end all for men. Again I know you don't feel this way but I'm just thinking out loud.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
That clip you showed backs up the point that he was oblivious. His whole reaction was him being caught off guard and acting like he had no idea what she was talking about. From that point he started showing more effort but she was already meeting up with the next man.

It just showed him blinded sided about a break up. That doesn't mean she never spoke to him over time. I mean we really going to pretend that was the first time in 4 years. Also dude intentionally ruined her birthday with no fukks given. Oblivious he is not.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
For real Lawrence should have watched The Wire. Think Marlo summed it up best here.

It's really not that hard to understand playa.

If she had a problem with the way things were going she should have told him(I have females friends that do this shyt all the time. After a while I either walk away or say I don't to want hear that shyt). If something is wrong speak on it, don't let that shyt linger. Take care of it especially if it's bothering you. Men aren't psychics.

Not handling your business at a particular time in a relationship and cheating aren't equal.

Last edited:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
She was perfectly in the right to leave him at that moment and I'd have no complaints. It's the half in half out approach and eventually cheating that makes me judge her.
Judge away breh. I'm just amazed that people think Lawrence is all free and clear after a trip to CVS. I don't really like either character I just don't feel for dude like everyone else. It takes a special kinda a$$hole to say "fukk ya birthday" because I had a bad day and then proceed like it's all good.

Daps
Fair enough, from the normal conversation I see regularly on this board I don't agree with that. I think a lot of blame would be on Issa for not "fulfilling her role." I see virtually no blame put on Lawrence. Everything he does seems to be glossed over. Even when Tiff's husband pointed out his short comings he and the fans rejected it. The result for sexual disloyalty seems to come down really harass on women and many times a "forgivable offense" for men. I am glad you don't feel that way however many people do. It just makes me what wonder if "sexual disloyalty" is the end all for women what is the end all for men. Again I know you don't feel this way but I'm just thinking out loud.

Nah I feel you, Lawrence was way too passive and he too is wishy washy about the way he goes about things. I do feel like a lot of people did not like the scene with his boy calling him out more so because it comes off as a a justification to why he got cheated on. Of course theres 2 sides to every story, but typically when a man is a cheater, there is less attempts to tap into his psyche as to why he did it - society (both men and women for different reasons) would look at it as "man being a man" or "oh he's just a dog", and he would be the villain in the scenario regardless of the context. Even if some men celebrate their friend cheating, its not common that the same friends would excuse the behavior, they just chalk it up to game the way Chad on the show does. (i.e. "you know you fukked up right ... but ayyye, lets hit up this spot at xyz" etc .. )

Some men are probably projecting their own fears/paranoia/doubts about relationships onto the show too :ehh: partly why I feel like the show resonates with so many people.

I do hope Issa's character grows by the end of the season tho ... atm Molly's "struggle" is a lot more relatable and understandable than Issa's. Can't believe she got into a car accident over a dikk pic :russ:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Nah I feel you, Lawrence was way too passive and he too is wishy washy about the way he goes about things. I do feel like a lot of people did not like the scene with his boy calling him out more so because it comes off as a a justification to why he got cheated on. Of course theres 2 sides to every story, but typically when a man is a cheater, there is less attempts to tap into his psyche as to why he did it - society (both men and women for different reasons) would look at it as "man being a man" or "oh he's just a dog", and he would be the villain in the scenario regardless of the context. Even if some men celebrate their friend cheating, its not common that the same friends would excuse the behavior, they just chalk it up to game the way Chad on the show does. (i.e. "you know you fukked up right ... but ayyye, lets hit up this spot at xyz" etc .. )

Some men are probably projecting their own fears/paranoia/doubts about relationships onto the show too :ehh: partly why I feel like the show resonates with so many people.

I do hope Issa's character grows by the end of the season tho ... atm Molly's "struggle" is a lot more relatable and understandable than Issa's. Can't believe she got into a car accident over a dikk pic :russ:

I agree with the whole post especially the bold. I don't think pointing out what Lawrence did wrong makes Issa anymore "right." And essentially I think that's what the scene was trying to get at. People's lack of ability to see both sides of a situation is what ultimately leads to a break down in communication (hense Issa and Lawrence). I think the scene was meant to teach Lawrence and the viewer that lesson but apparently failed on both ends.

I don't think anyone would say that Lawrence should go into the next relationship acting the same way he did with Issa but the same people want to jump down your throat and get emotional if you start pointing out what he did wrong. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Good dialogue breh rep.