Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Love reading these comments...they truly show that men can not slip for a moment. Lawrence and Issa was together for five years... 3 of them years.
Lawrence apparently was doing well. Losses his job and is a slump for 2. He got money and had unemployment coming in. Had a business idea with an app...that apparently better than the one he is working on at this job....and people calling a bum. This gives Issa the green light to cheat??shyt is :mindblown:

How can you be a bum when you got money. As a man you can't be down from where you use to be. If you do you a bum. Can't go from make 100k to 50k you a bum. Even tho Lawrence IT unemployment checks were probably just as big as Issa non profit social worker checks.

My homie used to say all the time women don't really love. They only love what you can provide. These comments are proving it. This show is proving it. I love the show personally. Think it's the closes thing to black people as I going to see on TV. I relate to everyone on this show. Know someone just like every character on the show.

When Tiff husband was telling Lawrence that he had a hand in allowing Issa to cheat I literally had the :dahell: face. We just cape for women cheating for some reason. shyt is perplexing

Facts. Whether it is entertainment, money, attention, women want what you can provide. It's why traditional roles in society are important. I disagree that Tiffany's husband was caping for Issa. I think he was just providing Lawrence with knowledge about the double standard which is why he hit him with the "truthfully speaking" language. At Lawrence's age, he should KNOW that there is no such thing as unconditional love in today's world between man and woman.

As a grown man who has been in a few relationships, even spawning a kid from one, the thing that remains constant is that as a man, you must always be on. There are no down moments, no tears, no sulking, especially if you are dealing with women of a certain type (attractive).

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
How would a man get crucified when he is encourage to do it?

Anyway, I base my conclusions on the fact that Lawrence never expressed any displeasure about their relationship. He was quite content. In fact, he was completely blindsided by the fact that she was unhappy. Dude literally did not give a shyt until it came to her cheating. :mjlol: So what additional effort was needed besides tolerating being neglected for years? I guess that's not effort huh? You really think they never had a conversation about her unhappiness as much as that woman talk? Come on how. It is clearly stated multiple times that the relationship has been lopsided for a while.

LOL. All facts. That's some real shyt right there. Especially in season one when Lawrence's cuz was grilling him about Issa. In that bar scene he dropped game on him like either you shyt or get off the pot.

Men are creatures of habit and can easily ignore the warning signs of a relationship gone sour which is why I say men should not get into serious relationships until they are done working on them. Women require a lot of attention from home and abroad and for the most part, I don't think Issa was calling Lawrence a "bum" as people mentioned earlier. I think she wanted him to be a bit more exciting. She like most women want to be in a relationship with a dude that excites not only her but her friends as well.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
How would a man get crucified when he is encourage to do it?

Anyway, I base my conclusions on the fact that Lawrence never expressed any displeasure about their relationship. He was quite content. In fact, he was completely blindsided by the fact that she was unhappy. Dude literally did not give a shyt until it came to her cheating. :mjlol: So what additional effort was needed besides tolerating being neglected for years? I guess that's not effort huh? You really think they never had a conversation about her unhappiness as much as that woman talk? Come on how. It is clearly stated multiple times that the relationship has been lopsided for a while.

:dwillhuh: so this same logic doesn't apply to Issa? Where is Issa conversation to Lawrence about her displeasure in the relationship. It never was shown on the show. Unless I'm missed it. All I saw was Issa bytching to her friends never to Lawrence.

And how are you just dismissing the fact that Lawrence got his shyt together BEFORE he found out about Issa cheating. Lawrence clearly showed effort after forgetting her bday. He fukked up and was actively trying to fix it. Can't say the same for Issa.

You keeping talking about Lawrence neglecting Issa and I'm saying they both were in the same place of content. Neither showed effort. Issa and Lawrence were neglecting each other. However, Issa pretty much used Lawrence lack of a job not money..he had money but lack of a job as a jumping board to cheat. I don't see how that's not caping.

We can agree to disagree which is why I enjoy the discussion.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
LOL. All facts. That's some real shyt right there. Especially in season one when Lawrence's cuz was grilling him about Issa. In that bar scene he dropped game on him like either you shyt or get off the pot.

Men are creatures of habit and can easily ignore the warning signs of a relationship gone sour which is why I say men should not get into serious relationships until they are done working on them. Women require a lot of attention from home and abroad and for the most part, I don't think Issa was calling Lawrence a "bum" as people mentioned earlier. I think she wanted him to be a bit more exciting. She like most women want to be in a relationship with a dude that excites not only her but her friends as well.

But what happens when you can no longer provide the excitement and can only provide the necessities? Now Lawrence and Issa weren't married or had kids but at some point shouldn't a partner be honest with themselves about their inability to deal with the downside risk?

Being cognizant of potential pitfalls in relation to finances is a given (usually) but shouldn't it be the same for emotional/mental pitfalls? I think the show illustrates how the romatcized tenets of relationships don't synch up with the basic tenets of human behavior.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
:dwillhuh: so this same logic doesn't apply to Issa? Where is Issa conversation to Lawrence about her displeasure in the relationship. It never was shown on the show. Unless I'm missed it. All I saw was Issa bytching to her friends never to Lawrence.

And how are you just dismissing the fact that Lawrence got his shyt together BEFORE he found out about Issa cheating. Lawrence clearly showed effort after forgetting her bday. He fukked up and was actively trying to fix it. Can't say the same for Issa.

You keeping talking about Lawrence neglecting Issa and I'm saying they both were in the same place of content. Neither showed effort. Issa and Lawrence were neglecting each other. However, Issa pretty much used Lawrence lack of a job not money..he had money but lack of a job as a jumping board to cheat. I don't see how that's not caping.

We can agree to disagree which is why I enjoy the discussion.

My point is that they both contributed to the down fall of there relationship. I don't feel sorry for him because he honestly didn't really care about the relationship for a while.

The both did better in the end but in the end she was ready to get past fault and he wasn't.

Lawerence isn't a good or bad dude. He's just there.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder how sorry the guys in this thread would feel for Lawrence if Issa just left. Would he still be a victim?

I'd have no problem with Issa if she did what she should have done, which is tell Lawrence she wanted to move on cause he wasn't pulling his weight in the relationship anymore(sexually, financially, emotionally). She probably wanted to do that but she's got such a fear of the unknown that she doesn't do anything. Paralysis by analysis so to speak

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
I'd have no problem with Issa if she did what she should have done, which is tell Lawrence she wanted to move on cause he wasn't pulling his weight in the relationship anymore(sexually, financially, emotionally). She probably wanted to do that but she's got such a fear of the unknown that she doesn't do anything. Paralysis by analysis so to speak
Would he still be the victim (if you consider him one)?

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Would he still be the victim (if you consider him one)?

Why does there have to be victims in a relationship break up? Sometimes relationships run their course. He was unemployed for a long stretch of time, got depressed... they grew apart. These things happen all the time. I don't see any aggrieved parties.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Why does there have to be victims in a relationship break up? Sometimes relationships run their course. He was unemployed for a long stretch of time, got depressed... they grew apart. These things happen all the time. I don't see any aggrieved parties.
I get the sense that a lot of men don't think he did anything "wrong" in the relationship so I am wondering how it would look if she left for "no reason."

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I get the sense that a lot of men don't think he did anything "wrong" in the relationship so I am wondering how it would look if she left for "no reason."
It would "look" like she was mature and ended a relationship she grew out of. But she didn't do that, she fukked a dude, lied and got found out in a way that embarrassed him, which is where her wrong came in.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
It would "look" like she was mature and ended a relationship she grew out of. But she didn't do that, she fukked a dude, lied and got found out in a way that embarrassed him, which is where her wrong came in.
That is pretty obvious but that is not what I asked. I am asking is he still a victim.

I just wondering when a victim becomes a victim in a relationship. She was wronged but she's not a victim. He was wronged but he is. Is the person who stays not a victim but the one who leaves a vicitm?

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
That is pretty obvious but that is not what I asked. I am asking is he still a victim.

I just wondering when a victim becomes a victim in a relationship. She was wronged but she's not a victim. He was wronged but he is. Is the person who stays not a victim but the one who leaves a vicitm?
I think you might be getting caught up on wording.

I think most would agree he was a victim of being cheated on and she was a victim of being neglected. I guess it's up to an individual person which is worse, irredeemable, or a deal breaker, or if they hold equal weight in terms of moral reprehensibility.