Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
i understand where both parties are coming from. But it's a lot on the show's shoulders because its holding the torch for black tv right now. So I guess viewers (especially black viewers) want nothing but the best. If they fukking, use protection. If they're drinking, be responsible. Or.. follow up with hilarious results that will teach a lesson. :manny: all they're asking is to acknowledge safe sex, not just imply it.
Man, this is entertainment and fiction. You can't be compromising humor for societal messages. Only job this show should be about is entertaining us.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
:jawalrus:This is prolly the realist thing said in this thread & this is my thread.

Facts sis. I mean, rep to you for making this thread because at one point, I wasn't going to consider giving the show a try based off what I read in here about Issa Rae. The fact that this thread is this long and has so many members contributing their insight on the shows plot and meaning is a testament to how crafty the writing and acting is.

Keeping it 100, at 1 point in my life, I was Lawrence myself. Trying to be a ladies man, behaving selfishly using women for sex and even pulled a ghosting move similar to what he did to Tasha at the park to a woman that didn't deserve that. I think I will go out on a limb and say this but Insecure will be to the black urban crowd what Sex and the City was to the young white single female crowd.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Insecure will be to the black urban crowd what Sex and the City was to the young white single female crowd.

Black tv & movie uprise. What we've been waiting on since NBC had must see tv Tuesday nights but it's spread out through various networks. Black Hollywood is eating good.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Black tv & movie uprise. What we've been waiting on since NBC had must see tv Tuesday nights but it's spread out through various networks. Black Hollywood is eating good.
All true.:salute: I like that people in their 20s can relate to shows like this and Atlanta vs when I was in my 20s, Flavor of Love and Making the Band type shows were must see black TV. A TV show with flawed characters without being caricatures. :ohlawd:

What makes the show addicting is the way in which they display the issues facing black women in the world (multiple). As a black man, growing up around black women, I have seen depth in the various types, spanning several generations, however rarely have I seen it in multiple women of the same age range, ESPECIALLY on television. To the credit of the writers, they do a wonderful job showing the diversity of multiple women similar in age but separate in their failures/successes. Who would think that at age 37, I would be still learning about women and through a television show of all mediums in 2017? :manny:

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Dude seems sweet

:jbhmm: this is a trend In noticing with this series. There a lot fruit-booty nikkas running around on screen.
- that bi-nikka Molly was with last season
- Issa's brother
- Amanda Diva's husband
- that open marriage nikka

With Lawrence being the prototypical cornball brother, it seems so far Chad is the only real breh on there so far and his screen time is hella limited.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:jbhmm: this is a trend In noticing with this series. There a lot fruit-booty nikkas running around on screen.
- that bi-nikka Molly was with last season
- Issa's brother
- Amanda Diva's husband
- that open marriage nikka

With Lawrence being the prototypical cornball brother, it seems so far Chad is the only real breh on there so far and his screen time is hella limited.
Who is chad