Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Why do you all watch bullshyt shows like this that show blacks in a light of sex crazed morally loose immature adults?
This shyt isn't raw or edgy to me, just what white people view blacks as and examples of broken people.
Sad this is promoted and received as black excellence.

Mr. Brown

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Issa's awkwardness is starting to become annoying. All the other characters are great besides her & she's the main :usure:
I started watching last week and just caught up today so I haven't been in this thread but I was just coming here to say the same thing. Issa is definitely my least favorite on the show. I really like everything/everyone else

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The whole "hoe phase" is such bullshyt, and this from a male. She has had sex with two men? One man? Been single for a few months? weeks? That is not a hoe. She is an adult woman who chose to have sex with her neighbor, made for a funny part of television, doesn't make her a hoe, or an unworthy person, only because we are meant to laugh at the antics of it, it's not meant to be something demeaning. I've thought about having sex with all my attractive female neighbors, it's just a fantasy that she took into reality, as a sort of "training wheel", about learning to be sexually expressive and intimate again. And sex is fun. It's a whole different dynamic, and most of these neighbors of mine have boyfriends, but I would think of doing the same thing, and I am sure it's not uncommon in men or women. We need to stop with the sexism and double standard.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The subplot regarding Vice Principal Gaines is a really sharp and intelligent way to deconstruct systemic and institutionalized racism, esp. in the admin. level. This plays out at all levels of government, and the private sector, and obviously schools. This person who is in a position of power and influence uses that influence to make decisions that negatively impact those beneath him, based solely on race. Issa is conflicted, she knows it's wrong, but she wants to give him the pass, and also do something good for the kids, despite the behavior of Gaines.

It's so chillingly perfect that someone in here rationalized Gaines behavior using Trump admin, that is exactly the danger of people like him and what they represent, an excuse for hatred and racism. This is about how people can become infected with racism and how it affects innocent victims, who have done nothing wrong but being born Mexican, or black, or whatever race.
You get it

A lot of the people in this thread defending it can't see that they doing the same thing whites do. That's the danger of white supremacy is that they only see dominance one way and want to emulate that, instead of seeking a better way. There is also a lot of crabs in the bucket which people are also exhibiting by fighting for crumbs and downing others who are also oppressed.

Issa knows dude is wrong but is willing to continue it for the crumbs.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Why do you all watch bullshyt shows like this that show blacks in a light of sex crazed morally loose immature adults?
This shyt isn't raw or edgy to me, just what white people view blacks as and examples of broken people.
Why are you in this thread?

The whole "hoe phase" is such bullshyt, and this from a male. She has had sex with two men? One man? Been single for a few months? weeks? That is not a hoe. She is an adult woman who chose to have sex with her neighbor, made for a funny part of television, doesn't make her a hoe, or an unworthy person, only because we are meant to laugh at the antics of it, it's not meant to be something demeaning. I've thought about having sex with all my attractive female neighbors, it's just a fantasy that she took into reality, as a sort of "training wheel", about learning to be sexually expressive and intimate again. And sex is fun. It's a whole different dynamic, and most of these neighbors of mine have boyfriends, but I would think of doing the same thing, and I am sure it's not uncommon in men or women. We need to stop with the sexism and double standard.
You are right, but in fairness she said hoe phase first.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I should have written extreme criticism of "hoe phase", or the disgust that it has inspired......I do think she will regret that phrase, in the promo for this show. I get how she is using it, like women (and men) do it's just a little in joke, to signify sexual experimentation, and developing sexual confidence, (which Issa has struggled with since the beginning) but it's really a loaded phrase, and a lot of men and women are just not advanced enough to realize that.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
You get it

A lot of the people in this thread defending it can't see that they doing the same thing whites do. That's the danger of white supremacy is that they only see dominance one way and want to emulate that, instead of seeking a better way. There is also a lot of crabs in the bucket which people are also exhibiting by fighting for crumbs and downing others who are also oppressed.

Issa knows dude is wrong but is willing to continue it for the crumbs.
That double standard is sickening. You can't scream and bytch about how white people are oppressing us and holding us down and kill while people over it then act like it's cool if it's one of us doing the oppressing. It's wrong in any manner no matter who is doing it. Pure hypocrisy at its finest.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Lawrence ain't a bad guy. He's just a bad guy to Tasha because he hurt her feelings. I'm sure Tasha hurt a nikka before so it is what it is.

Get over it and keep it moving, that's all you can do.
She didnt call him a bad guy.

She called him a fukk nikka, which he is.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I know people are taking this show too serious when the talk of condoms keep coming up. It's a TV show, they only bring up condoms if they're planning a pregnancy storyline. And they're not, so...
tumblr_ope2kkqlvR1wo6np8o1_250.gif

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Dude...you know when a person is feeling you way more than you are feeling them. If you have no intention of taking the serious, you cut it off immediately...not accept invites to the family reunion.

This is no different than women using men for $300 dates, when they have no interest in them. Both Lawrence, and the women y'all love to hate, are using people. For the record, good people don't use people.
She's getting dikk too so how is she getting used? If a dude is taking women on $300 dates I blame the man for it. Only time I place the blame on the user is if they are leading the other person on through actions and words. If Lawrence at any point indicated through words that they were anything more than I'd say he's 100% in the wrong.

Don't get me wrong Lawrence ain't perfect at all in the situation and should have done a better job of keeping the distance and not giving off vibes at times that he wants more.

I just believe that too often we have the victim mentality. I say this after coming off wasting 6 months on a woman that I had deep feelings for who was basically stringing me along and while there was some resentment I look inward and learn what signs are there that the person I'm investing in isn't investing enough back so that I won't make that mistake again.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
You didn't read my post all the way.

I clearly said he needs to keep his mouth shut with his thoughts and talk about the Latino kids. Because it gets both he and Issa nowhere.

Him prioritizing the black kids over the Latinos in the program is him doing exactly what he told Issa, "taking care of his own". There's nothing wrong with him as a black man, prioritizing that black kids have access to educational benefits. Latinos would do, will do, and HAVE been doing the same. As have Asians, Native Americans, etc.

If your going to prioritize your own as a means of racial advancement you have to make SURE that the people you do it with are on the same page as you. Him making crude jokes in front of a white woman is quite possibly the dumbest thing he could've done
Bottom line is that he's a public servant. His job is literally to create an environment that benefits ALL the students. If he wants to go work for a black organization than he should

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Shut up:stopitslime: