Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The subplot regarding Vice Principal Gaines is a really sharp and intelligent way to deconstruct systemic and institutionalized racism, esp. in the admin. level. This plays out at all levels of government, and the private sector, and obviously schools. This person who is in a position of power and influence uses that influence to make decisions that negatively impact those beneath him, based solely on race. Issa is conflicted, she knows it's wrong, but she wants to give him the pass, and also do something good for the kids, despite the behavior of Gaines.

It's so chillingly perfect that someone in here rationalized Gaines behavior using Trump admin, that is exactly the danger of people like him and what they represent, an excuse for hatred and racism. This is about how people can become infected with racism and how it affects innocent victims, who have done nothing wrong but being born Mexican, or black, or whatever race.

Last edited:

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
A horrible dude is a fukk nikka and a fukk nikka is a horrible dude. I can't agree with your use of semantics.

And you're right. Lawrence illustrates a dude that's good on paper, but is still not a good partner. The fact that Lawrence didn't even take a split second after that phone call to reflect on how he contributed to Tasha's hurt feelings (even though she is basic) shows just how selfish he is. This is the main trait that drove Issa away before cheating. Lawrence also tells Tasha that he's screwing other chicks but tells Issa nothing. Even when exes are dead ass wrong, there's a certain loyalty that you still have in the beginning where you still attempt to protect them. Lawrence is selfish!

And Tasha's way of seeing how serious Lawrence was, was some little girl, passive agreessive steez. If you don't know, then be straight up and ask. 9/10, if a man wants you, you will never have to guess about his intentions. Tasha is silly.

So much wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin. I can't even take this post seriously :mjlol:

"Even when exes are dead ass wrong, there's a certain loyalty that you still have in the beginning where you still attempt to protect them. Lawrence is selfish!" What does this even mean :what: Lawrence owes Issa nothing at all...she cheated, lied, and was dishonest and he's still suppose to be loyal :mindblown:

And what makes him selfish? If I recall last season, it was Lawrence who got the video taken down and Issa was in tears saying you always take care of me. Also, when Tasha was pushing up on him he turned her down and said he had a girlfriend. This season Lawrence in his own words says we're just having fun and he's in no committed relationship, but now he's selfish :mjlol: I will admit that leaving the cookout like that was a bad look, but just because he didn't come back doesn't make him a fukk nikka or horrible dude

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
I actually find that pseudo relationship stage the best because she's almost falling in love with you but she can't do any of the nagging, annoying and controlling shyt that girlfriends do because she's not your girl and she has to still fight to win you over. I've been finessing that my entire adult life. Nothing like having a girlfriend who isn't your girlfriend doing your dreads for free, getting p*ssy, showing up at your DJ gigs to give you p*ssy and weed but can't even get a date from you. :wow:

Never be a Tasha ladies :sas1:

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
Lawerence is terrible at communicating but I don't see how he is a fukk nikka :what:

He never led ol girl on :yeshrug:

Meh. I'd say that he's a bit of a fukk nikka for this reason:

"You know what it is": He's going over there and knocking boots on the weekend. That's fine. They know what it is, but she DOES like him and tests the waters by implying that they see each other outside of their scheduled sessions...

Mixed Signal: He complies by taking her out on a public date. This makes her think that there might be more there than just the sessions.

Semi-mixed Signal: He goes out of the way to confess to her that he hooked up with his ex and that he's sorry. That's something you'd do in a relationship or if you wanted an air of rapport with someone that you see as a potential partner in a relationship.

Now, up until then, I wouldn't say that he's THAT much of a fukk nikka BUT....

...he goes out of the way to show up at her spot AFTER he told her about the Issa shyt to make good with her. Then, he goes in to eat and bond all over again. Why not just establish the lines then? Nope. He agrees to go to her family cookout. It's not like he didn't know what it was either....

....and he sealed the fukkboy deal by going to the cook-out and being wishy-washy about it by implying that he'd go to the startup Saturday and come back.

Bruh...just tell her you're going to the cookout with her for some of the day, but you're going to have to cut out for the work thing for the night....or don't go to the cookout at all. Too much :hula:

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
She's a goofball. Would the show be more interesting if she was a bad bytch that was on point with everything? How realistic is that? :childplease:

at this point her character is beyond a goofball. It's only three episodes in and she's already made a mockery of her character :mjlol:. The show would be way more interesting if they'd stop relying on her dumb ass antics and focus more on her character gaining traction to be independent like the rest of the other characters. Molly is looking internally, her ex is branching out, moving in different social circles and excelling at work. Meanwhile Issa fukking the nikka downstairs :pachaha:.

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Im also not feeling the principal's behavior. Its one thing to promote and exercise race unity but his comments show he has deep rooted problems with the community he serves. These are kids.

However, so far I dont see how his bigotry has negatively impacted these students. They still have the option to participate in the program and dont. Instead they steal food. Black people always talk blunt about race, we hardly ever use race as a justification to harm others. Thats cac shyt.

Issa is out of her fukking mind. She needs to address this work shyt. The cac is clearly not letting it go and these cac liberals wont understand the reasons for the principal's behavior. This just looks like racism to them. Her boss finds out she not only said nothing but also pretended like there were no problems, she'll very likely fire her. Also cac women will not protect you. Ever. A cac man might not snitch, but the women are the worse in the name of justice.

Also, Issa aint thinking about Black unity. She just wants the numbers up so she looks good. This girl is very selfish.

Lawrence is very immature. 30 min a bbq wont kill you. Have some damn class. Like crazy Issa, his dumbass will get too comfortable with theae cacs. Colleagues are not your friends.

Molly doesnt seem to really want a man. Maybe just companionship?? In think she thinks she wants one cause she thinks shes suppose to at this point in her life.

Tasha please leave him alone. These crazy, uppity folks who think you're basic are not worth your heart.

Ralphael Saadiq when asked to sum up the music in 3 words: All West Coast. It so is.

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
So much wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin. I can't even take this post seriously :mjlol:

"Even when exes are dead ass wrong, there's a certain loyalty that you still have in the beginning where you still attempt to protect them. Lawrence is selfish!" What does this even mean :what: Lawrence owes Issa nothing at all...she cheated, lied, and was dishonest and he's still suppose to be loyal :mindblown:

And what makes him selfish? If I recall last season, it was Lawrence who got the video taken down and Issa was in tears saying you always take care of me. Also, when Tasha was pushing up on him he turned her down and said he had a girlfriend. This season Lawrence in his own words says we're just having fun and he's in no committed relationship, but now he's selfish :mjlol: I will admit that leaving the cookout like that was a bad look, but just because he didn't come back doesn't make him a fukk nikka or horrible dude

My loyalty comment refers specifically to the fact that he told Tasha that he slept with Issa, but couldn't even provide a response for the condomless 5 pumps that he gave to Issa. I've never stayed with a cheater, but when you have been with someone for a long time, you shouldn't discard them that badly.

Lawrence forgets birthdays. Lawrence lives off girlfriends for 2 years. Lawrence almost quits the first real job he's had in 2 years b/c his girlfriend can "hold it down" for a few more years while he works on his app. Lawrence knows that he's not into Tasha, but keeps her around b/c he needs a confidence boost. Lawrence knows Tasha is feeling him too heavy but won't cut her off b/c he wants consistent sex. Lawrence is too much of a coward to tell Tasha no, so accepts a family reunion invite b/c that's an easier route with less conflict. Lawrence drops Tasha, with no remorse, as soon as someone else gives him attention.

Lawrence is extremely selfish. My examples above show that.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
This was a tough ep for the LawrenceHive, brehs :francis:

SMH @ him lying to Tasha and embarrassing her in front of her family. SMH if you don't wanna be with her, don't be with her. Breh was at the cookout for ten minutes. To be fair, they were never officially in a rel'p, but his movements were all wrong. In addition, Issa entering that hoe phase....lady parts gonna be wore out if/when they get back together.

We need Chad to give him a pep talk. Lawrence always strays off the path when he doesn't listen to him. Sad shyt.